White Sox trying to trade Avi Garcia?

Sleepy Harold

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Gee, thanks mister.  I totally didn't understand that super complex scenario.

That still isn't remotely my point.  

Yeah.  He has since had surgery.  But how is leaking that another team backed out of a deal to acquire him because of health concerns going to help his trade value?

How would it make a difference either way?  It is a non issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Players on arbitration contracts who are cut on or before the 16th day of Spring Training are owed 30 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). A player cut between the 16th day and the end of Spring Training is owed 45 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). The arbitration salary becomes guaranteed if the player is on the 25-man roster when the season begins.

Non guaranteed contract

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Avi Garcia is the Carlos Lee of this era. Some team will give him a ton of cash and regret it. I hope it's not us.

I actually think its quite the opposite.

No one is going to give Avi a bunch of cash. If the Sox non-tender him, he'll be looking a one year deal in the $3-5M range.  If he sucks again in 2019, he could be dangerously close to out of the league.

That being said, he could blow up Jose Bautista style and make whatever team give him that $3-5M very happy.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I actually think its quite the opposite.

No one is going to give Avi a bunch of cash. If the Sox non-tender him, he'll be looking a one year deal in the $3-5M range.  If he sucks again in 2019, he could be dangerously close to out of the league.

That being said, he could blow up Jose Bautista style and make whatever team give him that $3-5M very happy.  

This.  In this day and age, a guy with Avi's skill set is the opposite of in demand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

On the other hand, what's the risk?  Sign him, and  if he hits, be quick to the party and move him in June.  And if he doesn't hit, release him in June.

Exactly. If you release him, get ready for some angst when a Central team signs him. He'd be perfect for the Royals and that means 19 games vs. Avi. Keep him, see how he does, then react. If we're not winning this year anyway give greg one of his fave players.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

On the other hand, what's the risk?  Sign him, and  if he hits, be quick to the party and move him in June.  And if he doesn't hit, release him in June.

Yeah if they let him go, better be because they’re bringing in someone on a multi-year deal and not just creating at bats for Delmonico, etc

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Exactly. If you release him, get ready for some angst when a Central team signs him. He'd be perfect for the Royals and that means 19 games vs. Avi. Keep him, see how he does, then react. If we're not winning this year anyway give greg one of his fave players.

Good luck to him playing in that spacious outfield

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Good luck to him playing in that spacious outfield

Yeah, he might have some problems in rf, but their outfield is weak anyway. He might hit and if we're ever going to start dominating the Central we have to somehow learn how to dominate Central teams and not go .500 at best against them.

Avi has some talent, and he plays hard, but except for 2017, he has been a replacement level player. There is a slight chance he turns into a JD Martinez sized mistake, but it is time to say good bye, and I have been one of his biggest supporters. But like fathom said, replace him with something that may be useful. Not the rebuild position fillers.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Avi has some talent, and he plays hard, but except for 2017, he has been a replacement level player. There is a slight chance he turns into a JD Martinez sized mistake, but it is time to say good bye, and I have been one of his biggest supporters. But like fathom said, replace him with something that may be useful. Not the rebuild position fillers.

Realistically, Eloy is taking Avis spot. But yah, another major league caliber OF would be ideal. Avi and Eloy in the corners would be....interesting.