Robert AFL POTW

southsider2k5

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/luis-robert-has-opposing-players-awe-whats-he-going-do-how-far-he-going-hit-it

I hope Harper understands the potential here. He could be part of the best offensive outfield in baseball, even better than the Yankees. Imagine Eloy, Robert and Harper playing along side each other, in a couple of years. I know that most of us have already fantasized about that very scenario, but reading and listening to the hype on Robert, really has me stoked.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

And Robert has a 16.5% K rate against much more advanced competition, seems like a pretty positive development if you ask me.

I'll be honest, I'm excited to see how he's performing so far.  Like you said, he's seeing advanced pitching and doesn't look overmatched at all.  Let's say the Sox didn't sign him and the Cardinals did.  We would all be quite pissed with the highlights he's put up the last few weeks.

Just now, fathom said:

I'll be honest, I'm excited to see how he's performing so far.  Like you said, he's seeing advanced pitching and doesn't look overmatched at all.  Let's say the Sox didn't sign him and the Cardinals did.  We would all be quite pissed with the highlights he's put up the last few weeks.

100% agree with this.  He’s just got to carry over the momentum to the regular season now.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree with this.  He’s just got to carry over the momentum to the regular season now.

As long as the Sox don't rush him, crippling his development. Luckily there's rumblings they will start him at W-S again which is the absolute right move.

1 hour ago, fathom said:
Keith
2:06
How has his performance in the AFL changed your view on Luis Robert?

Eric A Longenhagen
Less confident in the hit tool now than I was from my spring and summer looks

Isn't he hitting like 400 in AFL?  That seems weird to lose confidence in the hit tool when a guy is in the middle of a hit streak.

17 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Isn't he hitting like 400 in AFL?  That seems weird to lose confidence in the hit tool when a guy is in the middle of a hit streak.

I mean scouts should be able to evaluate good players on a cold streak and bad players on a hot streak. Seems like a few outlets have reported he's very pull happy. .

Considering jump in competition, I think it makes sense he may fall back on his go-to after rust. But he needs seasoning.

9 hours ago, fathom said:
Keith
How has his performance in the AFL changed your view on Luis Robert?

Eric A Longenhagen
Less confident in the hit tool now than I was from my spring and summer looks

Maybe Longenhagen only saw him in the Fall Stars game . He didn't look so good in that game That game of course was right in the middle of that 14 game hit streak. Doubtful Longenhagen would base his opinion on just one game but why would he be even less confident ? Makes no sense.

7 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

He was up around .370 then went 1 for 9. He's currently at .324 after going 1 for 4 and stealing 2nd and 3rd base in his game tonight.

8 hours ago, Flash said:

My concern with Roberts is his base stealing. He is very fast a foot and capable but it adds injury risk, i.e. jammed thumbs, etc. 

He has blazing speed and appears to be a smart base runner. He also has a high motor and gives a ton of effort. These are all positive attributes and are part of his 5 tool package. Yes it sucks when these very same tools end up in injuries that stunt his progress. But there's only 1 way to play the game in some players minds and that kind of play probably shouldn't be discourage .

Manny Machado might think differently since for the last 5 yearshe has been injury free, playing almost every game and content enough with that not to be Johnny Hustle. If he had any kind of injury history he might not be poised to make $300M +. It's tempting to wish the Sox could ask him to tone down the steals  but it's not likely they will considering he just stole 2 more bases in today's game.