Amazon HQ2

lostfan

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

And as with FoxConn, it would have been cheaper per job for the state to just hire people itself.

Probably in that case. However, would the state actually do that? I doubt it. Also, FoxConn were factory type, lower paying jobs. They would add the tax payers but Wisconsin isn't operating in the red like Illinois. The Amazon employment would have been much higher paying jobs. Even in Illinois with all of the corruption wouldn't have thousands of 100,000 dollar jobs available.

These are two very different scenarios.

47 minutes ago, lostfan said:

For real, people should be more upset about this but for the most part people are just taking Amazon's word for everything and missing the point entirely.

Municipalities should not be bidding against one another with what essentially amounts to legal bribes, it's a net loss to the public and the cities are more or less forced to do this to attract business. The only way to stop companies from getting away with this stuff is for everyone to just stop doing it, which would mean making it illegal at the federal level. The companies will get over it because they HAVE to, they expand because they had a business reason to do so and they'll get by without the free money.

Competition shouldn't be illegal. Companies don't have to get over it, if it becomes to cumbersome they will just go leave the country  where the rules and regulations are more favorable.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Population growth in cities is much preferable to depopulation, trust me. Just wait until you need to pay for the same services with a smaller tax base, that gets expensive too.

Thats where Illinois is currently headed. JB, Madigan and the cronies have an uphill battle.

Edited by ptatc

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Competition shouldn't be illegal. Companies don't have to get over it, if it becomes to cumbersome they will just go leave the country  where the rules and regulations are more favorable.

Cities aren't businesses.

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's not competition in the capitalist sense, it's just politics. What you don't realize is that as soon as one company gets these incentives, every company already in the city or state will ask for the same with little fanfare or attention. Wisconsin is now dealing with Kimberly Clark as an example. It undermines the tax base and shifts the burden to homeowners, who then complain about the cost of living...and then leave.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

It would have been advantageous for sure, but at least for Chicago there are already 2 huge developments (Lincoln Yards and the 62 acre site south of Roosevelt), that are in the works. The Lincoln Yards development may get a USL team. 

Is there anything rumored to be going on with that lot?

It would be a massive project but I would love the Sox to move over there with the skyline coming up behind the batters eye. A lot of highways spit out into the city right aroudn there too. 

12 minutes ago, G&T said:

It's not competition in the capitalist sense, it's just politics. What you don't realize is that as soon as one company gets these incentives, every company already in the city or state will ask for the same with little fanfare or attention. Wisconsin is now dealing with Kimberly Clark as an example. It undermines the tax base and shifts the burden to homeowners, who then complain about the cost of living...and then leave.

Not sure if related, but Kimberly Clark is moving into an office downtown. 

17 minutes ago, G&T said:

Bingo.

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

It would be a massive project but I would love the Sox to move over there with the skyline coming up behind the batters eye. A lot of highways spit out into the city right aroudn there too. 

I don't know why the current stadium wasn't oriented northeast so that CF has the skyline behind it. I mean I do know the reason but it's a stupid ass reason.

8 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I don't know why the current stadium wasn't oriented northeast so that CF has the skyline behind it. I mean I do know the reason but it's a stupid ass reason.

what could have been...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-white-sox-ballpark-in-chicago-that-never-was-and-could-have-changed-history/

PD8tb5o.jpg

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There isnt much about the 62 acre lot. 

These are the renderings I can find:

https://www.som.com/projects/the_78

I think the Sox are stuck in their current park for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lostfan said:

Cities aren't businesses.

I understand that. I guess I need to make my point more clear. Competition is good among any groups, cities included, was the first point. The second point was in response to your last sentence about companies need to get over it.

3 hours ago, G&T said:

I realize that others will ask for the same. It's up to the politicians to turn it all to their advantage. It's not the company incentive that drive the people out, it's the rest of the economic environment. People will go where the the overall living situation is better this includes employment is better than the taxation. Wisconsin doesn't have people leaving the state in drove like Illinois. They may move around some due to a big company changing, but as long as the state has increasing number of jobs, people will stay.

yes, it's a fine line between increasing the number of businesses and jobs with a better business climate and not taxing the life out of the people, but that is what the politicians are elected to do.

Edited by ptatc

2 hours ago, lostfan said:

I thought it also had something to do with the environment such as the angle of the sun or the wind patterns, some lessons learned from Old Comiskey.

Would have been nice to get Amazon - think if I was Amazon I would have picked upwards of 5 sites. Why limit to just 3 HQ's? You're a ginormous company that's only going to grow if they stay the course.

Put one on the east coast, one in the SE, one in TX or southwest, one in the NW (seattle) and then one in the Midwest.

Most developments have little respect for the community or its residents. In Oak Park we have ugly towers and structures going up all around downtown which are an insult to its architectural legacy. Payola for sure. We have plenty of garages to park in but nowhere to drive. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...