Abreu wants to stay long term

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

He's projected to get like $16m in arbitration next season so there's no way he would accept that. Though, I don't think it would take a lot for him to stay since it truly seems like he wants to stay here.

Yeah, I was thinking 3/$45 million might get it done.

• Like 1

I don't understand how it works. If he's ticketed to make 16 million this year in arbitration, he's probably not in any hurry to sign a 4-year deal for 48 million which probably is fair to both parties.

Will he just take the 16 mill? Then sign with somebody in the offseason?

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

At age 32+, you’re most likely paying for previous production, not future production. 

Love Jose, but not sure the long term fit is there.

Agreed. He's been a great player his entire tenure with the Sox but last year was his worst season by far and he's getting up there in age. Like I said, I'd do a 3 year and $30 million extension. No more.

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

God forbid we keep someone as a mainstay said the most anonymous org in MLB.  But it's a great place to be from said the players. At some point you take a stand and forge an identity. 

Then let's see him turn around a really bad, injury riddled season next year and we'll talk.

If he can't, then next season there are other options on the market who performed better this year who will be available for that same money.