Abreu wants to stay long term

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Sorry, the point behind it was lousy* I'd engage further but you have a tendency to get into petulant arguments that get threads locked, so I'll leave it at that. 

Comparable contracts are quite literally how other people decide what to ask for in their own negotiations.  There is no better point than a player of the same age, position, and offensive set to project someone's future deals.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'd give him $15m a year without blinking. I like having him on my team. He's a good, stabilizing clubhouse force, and he'll continue to be productive if he's healthy, even if he won't be a true star again. Keep him.

Now that's my kind of fan. Excellent post, sir.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Pay $16 million

re-evaluate after 2019

nobody else will pay him big money considering his age

he has a preference for the Sox so they have the advantage in negotiation

why on earth do anything else?

This is the best take on the situation. Give him his one year arb money. Sox can afford it and it's a nice check for a good guy/All-Star or fringe All-Star. How can ANYBODY argue with this correct take?? Hibbard with the post of the week.

8 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'd give him $15m a year without blinking. I like having him on my team. He's a good, stabilizing clubhouse force, and he'll continue to be productive if he's healthy, even if he won't be a true star again. Keep him.

Exactly. And it’s not like any players are clamoring to sign with or stay with the Sox. It’s nice to see someone express their desire to be on the South Side. I’m not sure why this post/his statement caused so many flippant responses from Sox fans on here, as if we are prom queen and have the ability to sign anyone else with that production. That would be a huge presumption. 

Edited by Sox72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Pull the ole' Yankees-Chapman special here...

Abreu has a good early 2019 --> Trade him for a haul at the deadline --> Sign im in the offseason for 3 years. Everybody wins for the White Sox and Abreu even gets to experience some playoffs :D. 

Even if he has a really good first half, no one is trading a "Haul" for a weak defensive 1b/DH under control for 3 months or less with an annual salary of $18 million a year. You might get something for him, but not a lot. 

Unless they can sign Goldshit, which is not gonna happen, is there really anyone out there to take his spot? He won friggin silver slugger this year and it was the worst season of his career. He's not going anywhere. If he's injury free this season I would actually bet money that he comes in the top 5 in voting in comeback player of the year,. The front office loves him, he obviously loves the Sox and Chicago, you got Moncada on the team and Robert on his way for Abreu to do his grasshopper thang. Yeah, dude isn't going anywhere.

At this point, you wait and see how his first half goes.  If the bat looks good, I’d be open to a short-term extension with the plan of making him a full time DH.  The good news is if he’s not open to a team friendly deal, we can always extend an QO and control him for one more season (assuming the Abreu of old).  That buys us some time to see what we have in Sheets, Burger, etc.