MLB extends deal with Fox

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Does anyone have a link to how much MORE each team will receive as a result of this agreement on a national deal?

We already know about the $68 million one-off payment for BAMTech/MLB Advanced Media.

Split evenly between the teams, it's about $24 million per year per team.

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So basically the White Sox are looking at conservatively $40-50 million coming in per year...beginning with the new local broadcasting rights deal in 2020 (combined with the FOX upgrade).

Optimistically, that turns into $50-75 million MORE per year with a Harper signing.

Where are you getting these numbers from?  MLB teams were splitting about $1.5B/year in national TV money before this Fox re-up.  That’s $50M/year per club and it just increased.  I have no idea what our local TV revenue currently is, but we were getting $450K/game on CSN, so I’d wager close to $40M.  I’d say right now all in, we’re around $100M in media revenue alone.  Hopefully that increases with our next TV deal, but no idea how you came up with a $50M to $75M increase due to Harper alone.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where are you getting these numbers from?  MLB teams were splitting about $1.5B/year in national TV money before this Fox re-up.  That’s $50M/year per club and it just increased.  I have no idea what our local TV revenue currently is, but we were getting $450K/game on CSN, so I’d wager close to $40M.  I’d say right now all in, we’re around $100M in media revenue alone.  Hopefully that increases with our next TV deal, but no idea how you came up with a $50M to $75M increase due to Harper alone.

I was simply talking about the INCREASE from our current numbers.  The following post lists the regional (CSN Chicago/NBC-Universal) deal for the White Sox, which is at $51 million before it's renegotiated next year (includes WGN/WCIU, etc.)

Then you have MLB Advanced Media, the BAM Tech deal...the Fox national deal, then ESPN/TBS/TNT/FS-1, etc.

Just guessing, but we SHOULD be somewhere around the Mariners at $75 million...and that's not even considering the bump up with a Bryce Harper signing.

While it's a bit strange to believe we'll have the 6th best deal in baseball after (we'll slot in after the Cubs) despite the rebuild and our terrible ratings over the last five years, it's actually quite possible and even logical because of the Chicago market's value.

Another narrative to bust is the idea that fans are paying players’ salaries with tickets and hot dog sales (NODS AT GREG775). Look at how much baseball is making just from ONE national rights holder.

It doesn’t include what ESPN pays MLB or what individual teams’ cable rights are worth. Those pay teams around $100 million annually on the high end and $20 million on the low end. Half the league is nestled between $35 million and $60 million.

In 2018, total league salaries, according to Spotrac, were $4.1 billion — so you can see how TV rights alone give teams a decent headstart toward covering their payroll. And that doesn’t include all the other revenue streams like merchandise, digital rights and the money that MLB Advanced Media makes. For example: Every team got $50 million last year after BAM sold some of its assets to Disney.

So with free agency about to kick up and the Winter Meetings around the corner, let’s use the new Fox-MLB deal as a reminder: MLB is healthy and has plenty of money. When players start landing eight -and nine-figure contracts, remember how much the league is bringing in.

It’s just the players getting their fair share.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-fox-strike-new-5-1b-tv-deal-proves-baseball-isnt-close-dying-183048053.html

Edited by caulfield12

Dodgers $204 M 25/$8.35 B 2014 2038 100% LINK
Angels $118 M 20/$3 B 2012 2031 25% LINK
Yankees $98 M 30/$5.7 B 2013 2042 20% LINK
Red Sox $80 M   2006   80% LINK
Mariners $76 M 18/$1.8 B 2014 2031 71% LINK
Cubs $65 M   2004 2019 20% LINK
Phillies $60 M 25/$2.5 B 2016 2040 25% LINK
Astros $60 M 20/$1.6 B 2013 2032 No LINK
Rangers $56 M 20/$1.6 B 2015 2034 10% LINK
Tigers $55 M 10/$500 M 2009 2018 No LINK
Giants $54 M 25/$1.75 B 2008 2032 30% LINK