Fangraphs' Carson Cistulli to Blue Jays FO

bmags

Apparently they like the fringe 5 thing and want it privately. Carson was quite successful predicting success of those fringe prospects. Usually those were low K guys with a good K-BB rate, some flyball tendency but a bit underpowered with the hope that the mlb ball and a bit of added strength will lead to more homers in mlb than in the minors.

9 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Apparently they like the fringe 5 thing and want it privately. Carson was quite successful predicting success of those fringe prospects. Usually those were low K guys with a good K-BB rate, some flyball tendency but a bit underpowered with the hope that the mlb ball and a bit of added strength will lead to more homers in mlb than in the minors.

Is that really what got him a job, his Fringe Five list?

I do remember Mookie Betts being a big Cistulli guy when no one else was on Betts.

Among his historic Fringe Five lists.....

Mookie Betts, Jose Ramirez, Danny Salazar, Maikel Franco, Marcus Semien, Austin Barnes, and Wilmer Flores.

Two legit MVP candidates right there, and a few other all-star types. 

Good news for us Sox fans is that I believe Danny Mendick has made a few appearances.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Yes he specifically mentioned that they expect him to do a similar thing for the jays.

That's crazy. He used to get mocked on the Fangraphs Audio podcasts by Dave Cameron all the time for that Fringe Five, and just generally falling in love with fringe prospects. Max Shrock is the most recent one I can recall him bringing up all the time. 

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That's crazy. He used to get mocked on the Fangraphs Audio podcasts by Dave Cameron all the time for that Fringe Five, and just generally falling in love with fringe prospects. Max Shrock is the most recent one I can recall him bringing up all the time. 

I imagine it could be useful for evaluating minor league free agents and more.