SP Target - J.A. Happ?

Chicago White Sox

I didn’t know how to title this thread without obvious trolling, but I wanted to start some discussion on J.A. Happ.

Does anyone else think he’s our #1 SP target?  Very productive, left-handed starter with local ties and whose age should prevent him from getting too long of a deal.  I personally think the Sox will be all over him and could see us signing him to something like a 2/$35M deal right before the Winter Meetings.

How would people feel about such a move?  Is the he veteran we should be targeting to stabilize a young rotation?  Please share your thoughts because there aren’t a ton of rumors at the moment and I need something to distract me from the endless Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the background.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-free-agent-focus-ja-happ%3famp

I would not have strong opinions about it. I have said I think moderate competitive advances are important to developing our young players. 

That said, these would be one of those signings that I would continue to view Hahns success with. He may sign Happ and we say “at that price who wouldn’t!”, but if he underperforms, it just really adds to the case for me that Sox would need a different Gm to finish rebuild. If he succeeds, a sign that things are improving on pro scouting.

Too often, Sox seeing something in a player other teams didn’t has indicated something negative. I’m anxious for the positive examples these next few years.

If I was Happ though and had a choice, I’d probably try for the NL.

He wouldn’t be bad, but the question I would have is why would he sign with the White Sox for 2 years when he could probably get the same money and be with a contender?

As opposed to most of us on here, where if the money was the same or close, we would pick the White Sox every time, I just don’t think they are an attractive destination for an older guy near the end of the line who really has never won, and is probably looking to do so.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He wouldn’t be bad, but the question I would have is why would he sign with the White Sox for 2 years when he could probably get the same money and be with a contender?

As opposed to most of us on here, where if the money was the same or close, we would pick the White Sox every time, I just don’t think they are an attractive destination for an older guy near the end of the line who really has never won, and is probably looking to do so.

Maybe he’s looking to settle down and given his ties to Illinois/Chicago we might be an ideal landing place.  Obviously the money would need to be there too and I wouldn’t be surprised if he prioritized earnings over winning given this is likely his last big contract and he already has a ring.

A contender will match any reasonable offer we could make, therefore if we got him we’d have to make an unreasonable offer. 

This type of player only makes sense for us if he unexpected falls through the cracks of the market and is still around in February for well below what he’s worth. 

Where the Sox are in the rebuild, it seems to me that signing Machado or Harper as a building block makes sense, but older guys like Happ or even Corbin seem like mistakes.  There's a lot of downside on older pitchers and unless the Sox are somehow going for it this year, the upside would come in non-competitive years.

Edited by Timmy U
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

By far the smartest person on this site, always making bottom line correct statements, what a pleasure to read, Thank you for all of your great knowledge and insite.

Unless there was some type of option for 2021, it wouldn’t make much sense.

Can’t see him signing a one year deal just so you can sign and flip him, either.  Going to one of about 20 teams that are all theoretical contenders makes too much sense.

The only other way you make this type of move is following up a Harper/Machado signing...and you have reason to believe he’s going to be an especially effective mentor to the younger rotation members.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless there was some type of option for 2021, it wouldn’t make much sense.

Can’t see him signing a one year deal just so you can sign and flip him, either.  Going to one of about 20 teams that are all theoretical contenders makes too much sense.

The only other way you make this type of move is following up a Harper/Machado signing...and you have reason to believe he’s going to be an especially effective mentor to the younger rotation members.

I mean, I’m assuming we’re going to do our best to land a whale.  Regardless, he wouldn’t be signed to be a flip candidate but rather a stabilizing veteran for the next couple seasons.  Whether Happ is realistic or not, I do think we’ll add a veteran to eat innings & take pressure of the young arms.  And hopefully that guy is actually a halfway decent starter unlike Shields.

He's been pretty good the last few years and healthy. He's as good as anyone else to eat innings with a chance to be very productive. I'm sure the Sox will be checking on him and make an effort to acquire him just as they will on quite a few guys.

Everyone we talk about acquiring has issues, Even the whales we hear about lack of hustle , bad influence,  bad fielder ,inconsistent and on and on.