James Paxton traded to NYY for 3 prospects

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What they have available today is not what they’ll have available tomorrow.  There is no doubt they can afford Machado right now, but in the coming years adding him eats up some of their flexibility.  I already called out Hicks & Gregorius being free agents after this coming season.  I assume you just ignored these guys & their 9.5 fWAR in your future payroll assessment.  Also, the arbitration estimates beyond 2019 are simply based on averages and do not reflect what young stars like Judge, Sanchez, & Servino will actually earn.  And Tanaka falling off the payroll means another hole to fill.  The same applies to Paxton unless they are able to retain him at signficanth bigger dollars.  You are making their financial situation look much better than it really is.  

That doesn’t mean Machado is a no-go, but they may not be eager to sign a 3B with character concerns to one of the largest contracts in baseball history given these financial considerations in addition to the fact they have a cheap, controllable 3B already in place.

Experience with the A-Rod contract would tell them to remain wary.

Also, don't forget Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch!!! 

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Yes where was hahn?

How does this trade make sense for us? Paxton is a FA in 2021 and would cost a top prospect which isn't our timeline and the yankees didn't give up enough to move someone like Rodon.

Glad he stayed away. It does signal the Yankees aren't thrilled with FA and they still have plenty of depth to make another move.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I wouldn't have, didn't even know that was ever a thing, so good thing you beat me there! 

I didn't either but I googled it for the hell of it and voila. found it. Figured hey, Jetsons was made a long time ago when baseball actually was stlll America's pastime. Damn . I hope you're not as old as me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I didn't either but I googled it for the hell of it and voila. found it. Figured hey, Jetsons was made a long time ago when baseball actually was stlll America's pastime. Damn . I hope you're not as old as me.

That's a damn fine line of thinking, well done.  

• Thanks 1

Good trade for both teams I think. Overall, it's a fair deal -- I would have liked a little more if I was SEA, but can't argue with netting Sheffield from a very injury prone SP (perhaps the most injury prone SP in baseball right now). 

I'm happy the Sox didn't get Paxton as he doesn't fit our time table. 

• Love 1

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t get this line of thinking.  The Yankees were always going to add two arms, with one likely being Corbin and the other being acquired via trade.  They still have a great chance of landing Machado, but I’m not sure how this really changes anything.

By acquiring one of those two arms without adding additional salary (Gray’s salary is similar and he is definitely getting moved), the chances that they add Happ instead at a much lower commitment and leave a ton of space for Machado are way higher. 

I actually think Happ is more likely than Corbin now that Cashman has already got a TOR arm in Paxton. 

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

By acquiring one of those two arms without adding additional salary (Gray’s salary is similar and he is definitely getting moved), the chances that they add Happ instead at a much lower commitment and leave a ton of space for Machado are way higher. 

I actually think Happ is more likely than Corbin now that Cashman has already got a TOR arm in Paxton. 

If the Yankees don't want Corbin, then that seems like a blinking red flag. That'd be a heckuva indictment of him that he puts up the 7th highest K-rate in the league and the Yankees say "Naw we'd rather have Happ". 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the Yankees don't want Corbin, then that seems like a blinking red flag. That'd be a heckuva indictment of him that he puts up the 7th highest K-rate in the league and the Yankees say "Naw we'd rather have Happ". 

I know firsthand that they “like” Happ personally, and I get the sense that they feel more comfortable with his medical situation since they’ve had him most recently. 

I think Cashman just doesn’t want to pay what Corbin is going to cost. Just a hunch. 

Edit: they also “like” Eovaldi a lot, as a person. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

I know firsthand that they “like” Happ personally, and I get the sense that they feel more comfortable with his medical situation since they’ve had him most recently. 

I think Cashman just doesn’t want to pay what Corbin is going to cost. Just a hunch. 

The Yankees had a $230 million payroll a couple years ago, they won't be paying the tax repeater penalties, as we know every team is seeing revenue go through the roof, the Red Sox won the world series this year,  and Cashman bluntly said a couple weeks ago he'll spend what it takes to get back on top. If Cashman doesn't want to pay Corbin, it's because Cashman believes Corbin's 2018 was a mirage he'll never come close to again, it's not a money thing. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My thoughts exactly. The Yankees have the cheddar to absorb any impact a big FA getting injured might produce. But I recall the sons mentioning after ol George passed that the team wouldn't be throwing money at a bunch of free agent pitchers anymore after Jaret Wright and a few others blew up in their faces.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The Yankees had a $230 million payroll a couple years ago, they won't be paying the tax repeater penalties, as we know every team is seeing revenue go through the roof, the Red Sox won the world series this year,  and Cashman bluntly said a couple weeks ago he'll spend what it takes to get back on top. If Cashman doesn't want to pay Corbin, it's because Cashman believes Corbin's 2018 was a mirage he'll never come close to again, it's not a money thing. 

The money is there, but it isn’t unlimited. If Cashman doesn’t want to pay Corbin, it could just mean that he think he can do more with the money.

It’s very plausible that Corbin+Machado doesn’t fit the payroll while Happ+Machado just might. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

My thoughts exactly. The Yankees have the cheddar to absorb any impact a big FA getting injured might produce. But I recall the sons mentioning after ol George passed that the team wouldn't be throwing money at a bunch of free agent pitchers anymore after Jaret Wright and a few others blew up in their faces.

And then they signed Tanaka. 

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

The money is there, but it isn’t unlimited. If Cashman doesn’t want to pay Corbin, it could just mean that he think he can do more with the money.

It’s very plausible that Corbin+Machado doesn’t fit the payroll while Happ+Machado just might. 

The Yankees money is as close to unlimited as any in baseball. Their payroll first crossed $200 million in 2005, baseball's revenues have nearly doubled since then and the Yankees payroll was lower last year. Their gate sales are down substantially since their last world series, they've got huge room for revenue growth with a sustained playoff run. If they thought that Corbin was even a "Better than average" starter, he'd easily be worth 9 figures to them. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Yankees money is as close to unlimited as any in baseball. Their payroll first crossed $200 million in 2005, baseball's revenues have nearly doubled since then and the Yankees payroll was lower last year. Their gate sales are down substantially since their last world series, they've got huge room for revenue growth with a sustained playoff run. If they thought that Corbin was even a "Better than average" starter, he'd easily be worth 9 figures to them. 

Alright, man. If you say so. 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The Red Sox winning a 4th title in the same amount of time they've managed to win only 1 is not being particularly well-received.

In that sense, the Yankees fans are kind of dealing with the Braves' 90's and 00's phenomenon...lots of success during the regular season, but not winning a World Series makes sustaining interest at the ticket prices they charge increasingly challenging (especially as we look to be heading into a recessionary period in 2019-20). 

And swapping the Sabathia/Tanaka money for Corbin isn't a big deal. 

That said, they should a thorough investigation into Corbin's background and make-up (just like they're doing with Machado), because so many players just aren't up for performing in NY, Boston, Philly, etc., where the media and fan scrutiny and expectations are so high (after all, that's exactly how we ended up with Jose Contreras).

Edited by caulfield12