Cubs claim Ian Clarkin

southsider2k5

The trade was pretty much always going to be based on what Rutherford becomes. Everyone else was pretty much a throw in. Like with every prospect acquired, there is fantasies about what would happen if everything went right and Clarkin became legit, and Polo was an everyday major leaguer, but those were lottery tickets. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The trade was pretty much always going to be based on what Rutherford becomes. Everyone else was pretty much a throw in. Like with every prospect acquired, there is fantasies about what would happen if everything went right and Clarkin became legit, and Polo was an everyday major leaguer, but those were lottery tickets. 

The Sox did hype up Clarkin a bit and ultimately put him on the 40 man roster last year when it was very unlikely IMO someone would take him in the Rule 5.  That being said, hard to be too upset with losing him after his horrific 2018 season.  I don’t anticipate him being on the Cubs for very long.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They weren't particularly good lotto tickets though is my main issue. Yankees have such huge lat am investment, there are plenty of raw lotto tickets they could have eyed. Sox avoided those for some much more developed talent in the trades for Swarzak, Kahnle/Robertson, Jennings, Soria trades sox went after flawed but more developed talent. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Tito Polo is a minor FA as well too, I believe.  Did the Sox resign him? 

If not, Sox are down to Rutherford as the return for Frazier, Davidson and Kahnle.   

I assume that you meant Robertson, not Davidson.

12 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Go back to the trade thread here. Not even. 

I mean Rutherford is a legit prospect. The only way the Sox were getting more was if they ate some of Robertson deal.

I still think they made out quite well. Rutherford bounced back last season and Robertson made 13 million to not close and put up a 3 ish ERA and FIP.

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I mean Rutherford is a legit prospect. The only way the Sox were getting more was if they ate some of Robertson deal.

I still think they made out quite well. Rutherford bounced back last season and Robertson made 13 million to not close and put up a 3 ish ERA and FIP.

They basically did eat some though because they took back Clippard.