Cubs claim Ian Clarkin

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Wasn't there someone during the season vehemently claiming that Clarkin was a better prospect than Dane Dunning?

Wasn't me but I was definitely one of the bigger Clarkin supporters. He was having a fine year before the injuries, after a good 2017. Wouldn't be surprised if he became a MLBer eventually but at the same time, his durability concerns are real so I understand the decision. 

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Tito Polo is a minor FA as well too, I believe.  Did the Sox resign him? 

If not, Sox are down to Rutherford as the return for Frazier, Davidson and Kahnle.   

Still better on the Sox side than the Yankee side.  Robertson was good for them, but the other two weren't or haven't been, and they paid at least market value to Robertson.

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Wasn't me but I was definitely one of the bigger Clarkin supporters. He was having a fine year before the injuries, after a good 2017. Wouldn't be surprised if he became a MLBer eventually but at the same time, his durability concerns are real so I understand the decision. 

Yeah he lost a ton of velo. if he regains it with the cubs he could be decent but that was sort of the premise when we traded for him. It never happened.

He just ran out of time

32 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

it's a good sign when guys that would arguably be top 30 back end a few years ago are now roster victims.

that said, in hindsight that trade (right now at least) was not the besssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

The trade really can’t be evaluated for a few years. If Rutherford pans out, it was a solid trade.

20 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The trade really can’t be evaluated for a few years. If Rutherford pans out, it was a solid trade.

Even if Rutherford doesn't pan out...right now we have substantially more value in our organization than we would have if we hadn't acquired him. One reason why people are talking about prospect for prospect swaps to fill our 3b hole is that thanks to this trade, we do actually have a legit glut of outfielders. We could choose to cash that bill in right now, or we could choose to hold onto those OFs if we think they are particularly promising. If we'd been caught holding Kahnle when he collapsed, we'd be hoping he could rebuild some value this  year - instead we're already holding the value and deciding what to do with it. We've got the cash in our pocket, we just get to decide how to spend it.

• Like 1

Problem with clarkin is the mediocre stuff. He doesn't have that bullpen fallback option because he doesn't have that great pitch or velo,  so it is essentially 5th starter or bust with him.

He might have a lower "can't start" risk then some others but if it is not good enough to start it is nothing while others with better stuff can be bullpenned.

Probably a quad A arm who can occasionally make a spot start if someone gets hurt.

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

What has happened thus far with Kahnle suggests the trade was smart.

Obviously I still have hope Rutherford finds power and turns it on, but your statement presumed a binary situation where either we hold on to Kahnle or trade him to Yankees for this specific package.

There were likely many more possible trades available for Kahnle so it’s important Hahn chose the best one.

Hahn has done a lot of trades for high profile prospects who had some shine come off them. Giolito, moncada and Rutherford all struggled some and thus became available.

That is a risk but also a chance to acquire high profile talent. Essentially he bought low. Had he opted for better performers in the trades the cailing of the players would have been lower. He balanced that somewhat with drafts of relatively polished but lower ceiling hitters which he might do again this year if he opts for Vaughn.

I think Cashman gets good value generally and this trade was no exception.  I’d point out that the Sox all but had Jesus Lazardo for Robertson alone prior to the season, so dumping his salary and including Kahnle for Rutherford has to be considered somewhat disappointing.  That said, Hahn got so much for Quintana that overall he had a good year.

38 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Hahn has done a lot of trades for high profile prospects who had some shine come off them. Giolito, moncada and Rutherford all struggled some and thus became available.

That is a risk but also a chance to acquire high profile talent. Essentially he bought low. Had he opted for better performers in the trades the cailing of the players would have been lower. He balanced that somewhat with drafts of relatively polished but lower ceiling hitters which he might do again this year if he opts for Vaughn.

I don’t think Moncada fits this narrative whatsoever.  He was available because they got arguably the best pitcher in baseball to a ridiculously cheap contract and either him or Benintendi had to be the centerpiece for it to happen.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think Moncada fits this narrative whatsoever.  He was available because they got arguably the best pitcher in baseball to a ridiculously cheap contract and either him or Benintendi had to be the centerpiece for it to happen.

He was still rated the best prospect but he had that big struggle in his first call up and reportedly the sox wanted him and not benintendi to go. His stock was still very high and he was rated number 1 overall but it was not like with vlad jr right now were nobody doubts he will hit right away. Had moncada started in Boston like acuna did in Atlanta this year he might not have been available or at least not with a super good secondary piece like kopech.

23 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

He was still rated the best prospect but he had that big struggle in his first call up and reportedly the sox wanted him and not benintendi to go. His stock was still very high and he was rated number 1 overall but it was not like with vlad jr right now were nobody doubts he will hit right away. Had moncada started in Boston like acuna did in Atlanta this year he might not have been available or at least not with a super good secondary piece like kopech.

We’re talking about 20 total plate appearances.  I strongly disagree with the notion they had any impact on his value at the time.  Benintendi simply had a higher floor, was going to take less development time, and filled an immediate major league need.  It just made more sense for them to trade Moncada at the time.