BP 2019 Top 10 Sox Prospects

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They ranked Madrigal higher than Kopech? Wow.

I don’t agree with that at all, but then again these guys are super high on Madrigal so it makes sense from their perspective.

I also thought it was interesting how low they seem to be on Collins.  We keep hearing about no one believing in his defense (and they cited his framing to be the worst in the Southern League), but they seemed far less optimistic about the bat than Fangraphs.  I tend to believe his batters eye and raw power will translate well enough with the juiced ball to make as a 1B in the majors.  Will be interesting to see if/when the Sox pull the plug on him catching, because I do think that’s slowing down the development of his offensive game.

Not a fan of BP's rankings. This top ten, much like other recent articles has a good 2-3 just plain factual errors, as well as some subjective stuff that just doesn't match the reality on the ground. BP doesn't have the guys going to games anymore like they used to, and it shows. Plus they like to get cute, playing Pepsi (or RC?) to BA's Coke. I would put BA, MLBP, FG and FutureSox (admittedly the last one I am BIASED on) lists at higher value than BP's.

16 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Not a fan of BP's rankings. This top ten, much like other recent articles has a good 2-3 just plain factual errors, as well as some subjective stuff that just doesn't match the reality on the ground. BP doesn't have the guys going to games anymore like they used to, and it shows. Plus they like to get cute, playing Pepsi (or RC?) to BA's Coke. I would put BA, MLBP, FG and FutureSox (admittedly the last one I am BIASED on) lists at higher value than BP's.

Would you mind elaborating on the factual errors & subjective stuff that you disagree with?  Just kind of curious what those specific things are.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would you mind elaborating on the factual errors & subjective stuff that you disagree with?  Just kind of curious what those specific things are.

Saying Kopech hasn't been able to throw strikes consistently for more than a month stretch. More it's the opposite - he had a bad month and a half in 2017, then another 2 months in 2018. Feels like they are looking for a narrative more than actually looking at the data.

Robert didn't miss 2018 time due to a knee issue. It was the thumb - twice. Knee was a minor thing the year before and turned out to be nothing. The injury history is certainly worth mentioning, but make sure it's right.

Saying Rutherford has "always" struggled against LHP is flat wrong. This year he hit for a higher average and higher OBP against lefties than righties, though hit for less power. In 2017 he was better in literally all three slash categories against LHP than RHP. Maybe it was a typo and they meant righties?

Adolfo's missed time in 2015 wasn't a hand or ankle issue. He broke his leg (spiral fracture to be specific) on a slide. He also missed some time early that year with a hammy. Neither were ankle or hand related.

The bit where they say "Gonzalez has perceived makeup concerns—which may partially explain why he fell to the third round in the 2017 draft" is really not accurate. There were pre-draft concerns on this, specifically around academics, but tense is important here. There has been nothing but positive, even gushing, reports on his ethic as a pro. Should be a "had" not "has". That's an important distinction.

THen there are the subjective thing. Not sure why they are still talking about Cease as a reliever, when the only indicator pushing that way is health and that is just lazy attribution. Zavala as "medium power" seems wrong to me, a few other things, but those are subjective. But the other stuff above is just wrong. None are egregious really, but together they make the list look sloppy and poorly researched.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Saying Kopech hasn't been able to throw strikes consistently for more than a month stretch. More it's the opposite - he had a bad month and a half in 2017, then another 2 months in 2018. Feels like they are looking for a narrative more than actually looking at the data.

Robert didn't miss 2018 time due to a knee issue. It was the thumb - twice. Knee was a minor thing the year before and turned out to be nothing. The injury history is certainly worth mentioning, but make sure it's right.

Saying Rutherford has "always" struggled against LHP is flat wrong. This year he hit for a higher average and higher OBP against lefties than righties, though hit for less power. In 2017 he was better in literally all three slash categories against LHP than RHP. Maybe it was a typo and they meant righties?

Adolfo's missed time in 2015 wasn't a hand or ankle issue. He broke his leg (spiral fracture to be specific) on a slide. He also missed some time early that year with a hammy. Neither were ankle or hand related.

The bit where they say "Gonzalez has perceived makeup concerns—which may partially explain why he fell to the third round in the 2017 draft" is really not accurate. There were pre-draft concerns on this, specifically around academics, but tense is important here. There has been nothing but positive, even gushing, reports on his ethic as a pro. Should be a "had" not "has". That's an important distinction.

THen there are the subjective thing. Not sure why they are still talking about Cease as a reliever, when the only indicator pushing that way is health and that is just lazy attribution. Zavala as "medium power" seems wrong to me, a few other things, but those are subjective. But the other stuff above is just wrong. None are egregious really, but together they make the list look sloppy and poorly researched.

Much appreciated Northside.  Some of these I also noticed, but definitely overlooked a few of these.

• Like 1

podcast https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-white-sox-top-mlb-prospects-podcast/

They explain the ranking. They comped eloy to be jd Martinez (offensively and defensively). Put walker in the top10 due to amateur record and said he had an oblique strain  at the end of his amateur career which might have caused him not hitting at all in the pro debut.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de