Braves sign Donaldson to 1 yr 23M deal pending physical

Sleepy Harold

Interesting that’ he’s not waiting to see what the Machado price is/waiting for the runners up on in the Machado stakes to come calling. Maybe he sees Machado as a SS and therefore he defines the 3b market. I’m guessing he doesn’t want to get stuck holding the baby like moose did. 

For Atlanta’s perspectIve this is perfect. Austin Riley needs a little more time in AAA. 

22 minutes ago, Colinski said:

Interesting that’ he’s not waiting to see what the Machado price is/waiting for the runners up on in the Machado stakes to come calling. Maybe he sees Machado as a SS and therefore he defines the 3b market. I’m guessing he doesn’t want to get stuck holding the baby like moose did. 

For Atlanta’s perspectIve this is perfect. Austin Riley needs a little more time in AAA. 

Or $23M is a pretty solid deal, and he took it before he was forced to accept less when ATL moved on.  

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

No it wouldn't have. You'd have to be a fool to rather have Yolmer play 3rd base than Donaldson, even if it was only for a year.

I didn’t know the Sox were going for it all in 2019?  I swear that 1 tweet by Morosi has made people forget about just how far this team was from actually contending last year and just how many holes they have.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I didn’t know the Sox were going for it all in 2019?  I swear that 1 tweet by Morosi has made people forget about just how far this team was from actually contending last year and just how many holes they have.

Where did I say that? All I'm saying is that Donaldson would have made the lineup significantly better next year and the Sox would have had a somewhat interesting trade deadline piece if they were out of the race by midseason. 

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox want a long-term premium 3rd baseman. Signing Donaldson to a 1 year deal would have been a waste of money for the Sox.

I think we NEED a long-term premium third baseman. Maybe Burger is the real deal.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Where did I say that? All I'm saying is that Donaldson would have made the lineup significantly better next year and the Sox would have had a somewhat interesting trade deadline piece if they were out of the race by midseason. 

A lot of money to pay for a “possible” trade chip with massive health issues of late.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That's interesting in this day and age of flipping players, you keep Donaldson til June and see if you are contending for the title in our pathetic division. If not, flip city. Although I personally am not a fan of flipping/tanking, you get the drift.

23 mil to play for a contender. What would it have cost to play for us? 25? 28?

It is really naive to assume that JR spending TWENTY FIVE MILLION dollars on a one year player in 2019 wouldn’t affect his appetite to spend money on long term pieces in the future.

Budget money doesn’t just appear and disappear magically each year. Yes, it would have made sense for us if the price was reasonable, but a contender was always going to be motivated to outspend a rebuilder to get JD on a one year deal. 

Edited by Eminor3rd