Sox in on "everyone"

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

We've been down this road....A LOT over the last decade. 

Put up or shut up time. 

What does “being in on everyone” even mean at this point for Sox fans?

Unless they plan to drastically raise the payroll as soon as 2019, I am tempering my expectations greatly. Only way we land premium free agents is opening the checkbook. Very simple.

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Unless they plan to drastically raise the payroll as soon as 2019, I am tempering my expectations greatly. Only way we land premium free agents is opening the checkbook. Very simple.

They have very little payroll so they’re in spending mode. Just don’t think they’ll spend stupid money for Harper or Machado. Until they sign a big fish, I’m not putting big stock in this. I hope they get one though

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If you count the $25 million/year they spent on Robert's bonus and penalties...they have to spend $45 million for 2019 just to keep the payroll from substantially dropping. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Is there a plan, or darts at the  wall again?

I thought the plan was to develop a core of young players and then "go for it".  Apparently not.

You can multitask, and continue to develop a core of young players, and at the same time, pursue generational talents like Harper and Machado.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Is there a plan, or darts at the  wall again?

I thought the plan was to develop a core of young players and then "go for it".  Apparently not.

this was always the plan, draft and collect high talent prospects while being fun-bad for a while, and then in a few years use that strategy as a way to put yourself into the comfortable financial position to sign guys like harper and other blue chip free agents and international signings

did you think the Sox would turn into the marlins?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If we don't get Machado, Harper, Keuchel, Kimbrel and Corbin followed by trades for Trout, Verlander and Scherzer, then I'm going to cwy and cwy and cwy. Then I'm going to fly to Chicago and burn an effigy of Rich Hahn and Kenny Williams outside the stadium and launch a thermo-nuclear bomb at Wrigley Field, filled with dummies that I've retrieved from the prams of overexpectant posters on here.

I keep saying that new TV contract  after the 2019 season is a lot more important then most of us know. The Mariners went from a $450M 10/yr deal to $2Billion over 17 years. I don't know what the Sox are worth but it surely will go up once the new TV deal is in place. The better the team and ratings the better the new contract is , the more the team is worth when it's sold  because Jerry knows the end is coming . I don't know much about this end of the business so others might make a better case.

That means we have to be good this year. There will be record contracts signed with the Sox over the previous high of the $68M Abreu got. Maybe as many as 3 of them if they can. At this point in his life Reinsdorf might be more motivated to make the frabchise woth more to the other investors and his heirs than winning championships.Making the franchise worth more is certainly the closer goal.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
more content at the end.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I keep saying that new TV contract  after the 2019 season is a lot more important then most of us know. The Mariners went from a $450M 10/yr deal to $2Billion over 17 years. I don't know what the Sox are worth but it surely will go up once the new TV deal is in place. The better the team and ratings the better the new contract is , the more the team is worth when it's sold  because Jerry knows the end is coming . I don't know much about this end of the business so others might make a better case.

That means we have to be good this year. There will be record contracts signed with the Sox over the previous high of the $68M Abreu got. Maybe as many as 3 of them if they can. At this point in his life Reinsdorf might be more motivated to make the frabchise woth more to the other investors and his heirs than winning championships.Making the franchise worth more is certainly the closer goal.

Can anyone confirm that the pending TV contract will indeed be enhanced by better ratings and better performance, regarding this coming season, and if so, to what degree? Is there a way to quantify any correlation between such factors? How do such factors vary, from one team, to another?