Rogers speculates Sox might extend Abreu

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don't mind 4/52-55. Everything else is way too much for diminishing returns.

So basically a three year $38M extension?  Jose will probably get $16-18M in 2019 via the arbitration process.

I'd do that too, but I think Jose would be shooting a tad higher.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So basically a three year $38M extension?  Jose will probably get $16-18M in 2019 via the arbitration process.

I'm sure he's shooting higher, but there's no way Jose Abreu gets $18M a year in FA next year at his age, right?

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I thought the same thing until recently.  But even those expectations might end up being too high.  Seeing guys on tier just below Abreu getting put on waivers who were no where near his price on the open market getting cut has caused me to reconsider the idea of what the price of an Abreu extension might be.

41 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I'm sure he's shooting higher, but there's no way Jose Abreu gets $18M a year in FA next year at his age, right?

No, but I could see a 4/$60 or 3/$45-50M type. 

I'd definitely offer something like 4/$50M with something like 2019: $15M, 2020: $13M, 2021: $12M, 2022: $10M, and see what he says.  Jose may just not want to mess with FA and take it.   

Edited by ChiSox59
typo in numbers

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd definitely offer something like 4/$50M with something like 2019: $15M, 2020: $13M, 2021: $12M, 2022: $10M, and see what he says.  Jose may just not want to mess with FA and take it.   

That would be okay, but he really did not have a good year with the  bat in 2018.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

That would be okay, but he really did not have a good year with the  bat in 2018.

He tends to do best in August and September and didn't get many PAs in those months due to his busted nut.  Probably wouldn't have been that bad looking of a year if that didn't happen.