Addison Russell

Flash

Would there be interest among this board to deal for Russell? He'll be serving suspension until May but there appears to be a reasonable chance he in non-tendered. Notwithstanding the blowback on his domestic actions, he is just 24 years old and not far removed from serious production. Defensively I like him over TA as SS but guessing he would also profile at 3rd.

27 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Negative. I want to win, but I'm not ousting all-around great guy TA for a chronic wife-beater who is, at best, marginally better.

Maybe I'm biased but I think Tim Anderson is better than Russell going forward anyway. Similar defense (if mid-May through the end of 2018 was no fluke then Tim is the better defender), similar offense (Tim with more power), and Tim with the big edge in speed/baserunning. 

• Like 2

I chuckled to myself when I read the topic because I knew that the response would be just this. As a society we have the tendency to really be social justice warriors and identify people as "good" or "bad". And we naturally want to be on the good team.

Now don't let that previous paragraph be misconstrued as support for Addison Russell or for trading for him, however it's just funny to me that we are so dismissive of Russell and act like the rest of the team are saints and loving, devoted husbands blindly. They may not be beating their wives but I have been to many a bar where Sox players have frequented and I'll just say the large majority are not choir boys. Why or how we decide how much abuse is fine for us to be a fan of players is bizarre to me. Again this is not me advocating for Russell, but think it's crazy to think a 24 year old person with the right guidance and counseling couldn't change.

All that being said. I'd CONSIDER Russell for 3B based on many factors. I wouldn't open the door without consequences - however I would at least do due diligence. if you have boundaries and rules in place and he abides -- then I don't see why you don't consider.

8 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I chuckled to myself when I read the topic because I knew that the response would be just this. As a society we have the tendency to really be social justice warriors and identify people as "good" or "bad". And we naturally want to be on the good team.

Now don't let that previous paragraph be misconstrued as support for Addison Russell or for trading for him, however it's just funny to me that we are so dismissive of Russell and act like the rest of the team are saints and loving, devoted husbands blindly. They may not be beating their wives but I have been to many a bar where Sox players have frequented and I'll just say the large majority are not choir boys. Why or how we decide how much abuse is fine for us to be a fan of players is bizarre to me. Again this is not me advocating for Russell, but think it's crazy to think a 24 year old person with the right guidance and counseling couldn't change.

All that being said. I'd CONSIDER Russell for 3B based on many factors. I wouldn't open the door without consequences - however I would at least do due diligence. if you have boundaries and rules in place and he abides -- then I don't see why you don't consider.

As I stated, I draw the line at wife beaters. Child molestors as well. I know they probably all have faults, just like all of us, that most do not know, but beating women is a huge character flaw. Add that to the fact he hasn't outplayed Yolmer Sanchez the last couple of seasons, and the answer whether he is worth the trouble is pretty easy.

19 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Look, I think society is too sensitive too, and none of us are saints, but the long-term physical and emotional abuse of your wife/mother of your child is pretty fucking easy to put on the “definitely not okay for anyone to ever do under any circumstances” side.

You don’t have to be a perfect person to never cross that line — and stay over it for literal years.

There are plenty of examples of destructively over-zealous Social justice. This ain’t one of them.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I don't think it is bizarre to not want to associate yourself with people who beat their wives.    The non sequitor of not being able to know everyone who does it is ridiculous.  Once information changes, we are humans able to adjust to the new information.  Just because other people do awful things, doesn't mean I will excuse Addison Russell or anyone else whether they be in my personal life or fan life.

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

How can you equate infidelity and domestic violence to be on the same level?