Addison Russell

Flash

12 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

How can you equate infidelity and domestic violence to be on the same level?

I knew this would digress, so not taking the bait. I'm not sure where In my response I said " I SUPPORT ADDISON RUSSELL AND BEATING WOMEN". In case it's not clear - I do not advocate spousal abuse.

I said I'd do my due diligence. To think we know the whole story is being naïve. Let Hahn or whoever else is paid to do so -- do  the work and come to a conclusion.  I think it's likely to lead to the conclusion we'd assume, but I think you do the due diligence.

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

I knew this would digress, so not taking the bait. I'm not sure where In my response I said " I SUPPORT ADDISON RUSSELL AND BEATING WOMEN". In case it's not clear - I do not advocate spousal abuse.

I said I'd do my due diligence. To think we know the whole story is being naïve. Let Hahn or whoever else is paid to do so -- do  the work and come to a conclusion.  I think it's likely to lead to the conclusion we'd assume, but I think you do the due diligence.

Numerous Chicago media members were saying during the season that Theo and company were fed up with Russell’s antics off the field, and not just the abuse accusation.  

7 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I mean, the bait was laid out by you in that statement.   I think asking you how you can equate infidelity and domestic violence is fair.   people dont go to jail for infidelity.

I understand that you arent advocating for Russell, but calling people social justice warriors and then acting like because you saw Cubs/Sox players cheating on their wives then you really cant judge Russell is pretty confusing.

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I chuckled to myself when I read the topic because I knew that the response would be just this. As a society we have the tendency to really be social justice warriors and identify people as "good" or "bad". And we naturally want to be on the good team.

Now don't let that previous paragraph be misconstrued as support for Addison Russell or for trading for him, however it's just funny to me that we are so dismissive of Russell and act like the rest of the team are saints and loving, devoted husbands blindly. They may not be beating their wives but I have been to many a bar where Sox players have frequented and I'll just say the large majority are not choir boys. Why or how we decide how much abuse is fine for us to be a fan of players is bizarre to me. Again this is not me advocating for Russell, but think it's crazy to think a 24 year old person with the right guidance and counseling couldn't change.

All that being said. I'd CONSIDER Russell for 3B based on many factors. I wouldn't open the door without consequences - however I would at least do due diligence. if you have boundaries and rules in place and he abides -- then I don't see why you don't consider.

Women that date/marry major league baseball players are aware of the fidelity risks and are able to decide if that’s something they can live with.  Being physically assaulted is an entirely different monster and is unacceptable under any circumstances.  The violence Russell has demonstrated speaks of much deeper issues and whether he can address that in counseling isn’t out problem.  I’m all for calling out social justice warriors, but this is simply about having basic human morality.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Your post specifically talked about White Sox players' actions out at bars and were using that as a comparison to this situation.  Posters aren't demanding that the players be angels off the field, everyone knows that will never happen.  But this is a case specifically regarding domestic violence, which is a completely different topic.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Numerous Chicago media members were saying during the season that Theo and company were fed up with Russell’s antics off the field, and not just the abuse accusation.  

I gotta say that I  was shocked to see Russell turn out to be such a troublemaker and bad dude off the field.  All of his on the field actions and demeanors made me think he's just a quiet good kid off the field.  

As a 24 year old he has the talent to take a flyer. 

Is the baggage warranted?  

Billy Beane is without a doubt one of the best GM's in baseball you now see why he may have appeared to have been fleeced in that deal but in reality the cubs took on the baggage.  There had to be some take as to why the A's would make that move between Theo and Beane.  My guess is the smoke was there for a while and Russell will most likely be with his third organization with money and performance playing no part in why he was moved from the two previous. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

You just called the site to the mat on some false equivalency to cheating on their spouse.  I guess it was actually all of us who responded who took the bait.

let me just be the Nth person to say that comparing domestic violence, and nasty brutish domestic violence like addison is accused (and apparently did) of is especially NOT IN THE SAME UNIVERSE as cheating on your spouse/GF/Fiance 

don't sign woman beaters.  who gives a shit about dopers and cheaters.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You just called the site to the mat on some false equivalency to cheating on their spouse.  I guess it was actually all of us who responded who took the bait.

Not trying to bait anybody and not really interested in hammering this subject much more. Me saying that I'd have Hahn CONSIDER and do due diligence spiraled into this.  I think it's quite clear that no sane human puts beating a woman on the same level as cheating on a woman. That'd be silly. If you think that's the hill im trying to die on I'd have to be crazy and dumb.  My point I was trying to get across was merely that I find it interesting psychologically where we draw the line as humans.... Addison Russell = BAD! But at the same time I've read this board where the majority were in favor of considering a Yasiel Puig trade or perhaps signing Jeurys Familia as a FA. Look no further than Chapman and the Cubs. It's a blurred line that shifts to fit our own narratives.

Rosenthal’s take is disgusting. What would the Cubs do if he were an A baller and not much of a prospect, or a back up with a Tyler Saladino like ceiling. He would have been told to hit the road. But the Cubs now want to help wifebeaters as long as they are players they deem will help them win games.

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Rosenthal’s take is disgusting. What would the Cubs do if he were an A baller and not much of a prospect, or a back up with a Tyler Saladino like ceiling. He would have been told to hit the road. But the Cubs now want to help wifebeaters as long as they are players they deem will help them win games.

It really is disgusting.  It’s one thing to turn the other cheek to what they’re doing, but to actually praise them for this charade?  Is Ken really this naive, because this comes off like he’s on the take.

• 3 weeks later...