Sox acquire Alex Colome For Narvaez

6 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Anyone think that Seby can replace Narvez's offensive production? I think it will be similar... Albeit Seby may have slightly more pop, but it could be dead even.

I don’t think so.  Narvaez had a wRC+ of 122 last year, making him not only one of the best offensive catchers but a good hitter in general.  The problem for him is that he’s unlikely to repeat it.

I actually like Zavala’s offensive upside but I think that’s closer to league average hitter than anything special.  And he will no doubt require a learning curve.  Seby will no doubt be a downgrade next year with the bat (if he’s the replacement), but probably an immediate upgrade with the glove.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think so . Narvaez was one of our decent OBP guys, Zavala isn't at all. But probably better with the glove . Pitchers like him , probably didn't like Narvaez.

I mean, Seby did demonstrate OBP prior to AAA, so maybe he can come back from the down year in that category.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think so.  Narvaez had a wRC+ of 122 last year, making him not only one of the best offensive catchers but a good hitter in general.  The problem for him is that he’s unlikely to repeat it.

I actually like Zavala’s offensive upside but I think that’s closer to league average hitter than anything special.  And he will no doubt require a learning curve.  Seby will no doubt be a downgrade next year with the bat (if he’s the replacement), but probably an immediate upgrade with the glove.

They can upgrade other places for offense. The framing needed immediate improvements for the team, so this should help.

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

Only Soxtalk can make trading Omar Narvaez sound like the loss of a potential HOFer...all the while, picking up an arm to help what was the WORST bullpen in baseball, not named the Orioles.

Seems Legit.

The same Omar that made it look like each game was the first time he was putting on catcher’s gear

• Like 1

Generally not a fan of this at all.

One question I haven't seen answered - aside from Grandal, if we wanted a backup catcher to play part time behind steroid dude and thought that Zavala wasn't yet ready as he isn't, who is available that could be a cheap backup catcher? 

2 minutes ago, Baker said:

1.1 in bWAR for Colome. 2019 Arb est. $7.5M. 

Omar 1.9 bWAR 2018. 

2018 means jack in 2019. The Sox sold about as high as they can with Omar. This guy is 2 years removed from a .627 OPS in Charlotte, and a .550 OPS in Birmingham. Give him credit, but he's in for a fall, and he is horrible behind the plate.

• Like 3

Put Colome in the closer role and hope he excels so we can trade him for a much better prospect than Narvaez. 

I think Narvaez is probably an above average #2 catcher down the line. Somehow he’s managed a .330 BABIP, that will come down back to earth and as others have said his D is marginal at best. Not a whole lot lost in my opinion, strange, but solid trade.

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Saving the big bucks for big fish and maybe others, starting pitching outfielders. Hahn did say there would be better defense if he had to pick one thing that would get better in 2019.

Except you're not saving any bucks....Colome is going to get paid ~$7.5M in 2019 and close to $10M in 2020.  

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Generally not a fan of this at all.

One question I haven't seen answered - aside from Grandal, if we wanted a backup catcher to play part time behind steroid dude and thought that Zavala wasn't yet ready as he isn't, who is available that could be a cheap backup catcher? 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/catcher/

Martin Maldonado, Rene Rivera, Nick Hundley, AJ Ellis just to name a few.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

That's a little extreme considering he would be a fine backup.

Colome can always be flipped at the deadline should we choose to cash him in for prospects or to fill a need

I don't mind giving up Narvaez, who is a solid hitter, but not very good defensively. 

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/catcher/

Martin Maldonado, Rene Rivera, Nick Hundley, AJ Ellis just to name a few.

How is Maldonado's defense? I feel like I read someone talking about how good he was (may have been someone else) in the comments of MLBTR. I can't remember if it was about him or not.

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Colome can always be flipped at the deadline should we choose to cash him in for prospects or to fill a need

I don't mind giving up Narvaez, who is a solid hitter, but not very good defensively. 

I was referring to the part about the rebuild being fucked if he was still on the team in 2 years. I though that was obvious. There's a lot more that hinges on the rebuild than a backup catcher.

Edited by soxfan2014