Sox acquire Alex Colome For Narvaez

Just now, aeichhor said:

Funny how many are not liking trading a back up catcher for a closer the team didn't have and really needed especially if they are wanting to get back in win column. Plus the sox could extend him 

I hope you're not referring to me because that's not what I said at all. Love the trade.

Edited by soxfan2014

Possible options. Only left on potential backups because I don't want them to spend money on Grandal.

Drew Butera (35)
Robinson Chirinos (35)
A.J. Ellis (38)
Nick Hundley (35)
Jose Lobaton (34)
Jonathan Lucroy (33)
Martin Maldonado (32)
Devin Mesoraco (31)
Rene Rivera (35)
Stephen Vogt (34)
Matt Wieters (33)
Bobby Wilson (36)

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was referring to the part about the rebuild being fucked if he was still on the team in 2 years. I though that was obvious. There's a lot more that hinges on the rebuild than a backup catcher.

Narvaez is one of the worst defensive catchers I have ever seen. Any value he has with the bat is negated with his defense.

I love this trade.  Narvaez is what he is.  Decent offensive catcher.  Horrible defensive catcher.  Colome could be a very valuable piece. As someone mentioned he's a flip candidate at deadline for a nice piece possibly.  He gives some of the younger pen arms a little more time to develop. 

Also...with the 3rd pick of the 2019 MLB Draft the Chicago White Sox select:  Shea Langeliers

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Narvaez is one of the worst defensive catchers I have ever seen. Any value he has with the bat is negated with his defense.

Eh not enough for the whole rebuild to be fucked because of a backup. A lot more has to go wrong for it to be considered fucked.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, Wanne said:

I love this trade.  Narvaez is what he is.  Decent offensive catcher.  Horrible defensive catcher.  Colome could be a very valuable piece. As someone mentioned he's a flip candidate at deadline for a nice piece possibly.  He gives some of the younger pen arms a little more time to develop. 

Also...with the 3rd pick of the 2019 MLB Draft the Chicago White Sox select:  Shea Langeliers

or Rutschman perhaps? 

Narvaez really seemed to overachieve in 2018, and I think he will come back down to earth eventually. 

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Generally not a fan of this at all.

One question I haven't seen answered - aside from Grandal, if we wanted a backup catcher to play part time behind steroid dude and thought that Zavala wasn't yet ready as he isn't, who is available that could be a cheap backup catcher? 

Matt wieters maybe?  

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Possible options. Only left on backups because I don't want them to spend money on Grandal.

Drew Butera (35)
Robinson Chirinos (35)
A.J. Ellis (38)
Nick Hundley (35)
Jose Lobaton (34)
Jonathan Lucroy (33)
Martin Maldonado (32)
Devin Mesoraco (31)
Rene Rivera (35)
Stephen Vogt (34)
Matt Wieters (33)
Bobby Wilson (36)

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

No thanks. The Red Sox still seem to value Swihart highly for some reason.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox went back to Alex Avila again. He could probably be had for nothing, and the D Backs may kick in some coin. The Sox have always liked old rival catchers. Sandy Alomar Jr. came back a few times.

Narvaez is a decent hitter for his position (although last year isn't his true talent level) but it seems the Sox don't believe in his defense enough to at least make him a backup.

Framing is king in these days and if the team thinks you can't help the pitchers behind the plate you are gone quickly.

33 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Is Zavala not MLB ready? Trading Smith AND Narvaez tells me that the FO thinks he is. 

I don’t think he’s quite there just yet.  I believe he was banged up for a while at AAA, so maybe that explains some of his offensive struggles.  I’d still make him force the issue and not just hand him the job.

One aspect of this deal I like is it's a low-cost barometer of whether Hahn is going to be capable as a GM to build a winner.

That said I'm aware we are about to get a bunch of high cost barometers of whether our pro scouting still sucks under Hahn.

Colome is probably fine. Last year people thought he'd command Amed Rosario in the winter. Instead he fetched some meh prospects and now a backup catcher. If he returns to 2016 form that's gonna be a big piece.