Sox acquire Alex Colome For Narvaez

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can't you go out and sign a reliever like Colome to a 2 year $18-20M deal and not give up something in return?  I don't mind the acquiring Colome part, I just don't love giving up something of value for a reliever when you can just sign one for similar, if not less, money.  

Saving the big bucks for big fish and maybe others, starting pitching outfielders. Hahn did say there would be better defense if he had to pick one thing that would get better in 2019.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they’ll still add a cheap veteran backstop to pair with Castillo.  I’m guessing this is more about helping our young pitching staff than anything.

Is Zavala not MLB ready? Trading Smith AND Narvaez tells me that the FO thinks he is. 

Well I dislike this. Four years of a decent catcher with good offensive numbers for two years of an already 30 year old reliever that won't even be that cheap in probably non-competitive years. Unless the FO really believes in Zavala and has moves lined up for us to be competitive this year, this really doesn't make much sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Anyone think that Seby can replace Narvez's offensive production? I think it will be similar... Albeit Seby may have slightly more pop, but it could be dead even.

I don't think so . Narvaez was one of our decent OBP guys, Zavala isn't at all. But probably better with the glove . Pitchers like him , probably didn't like Narvaez.

4 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I mean Savala has A LOT to improve on if he's going to be an ML catcher. Narvaez was not special, but he had just come off a 2.1 WAR year (in still limited playing time), has been improving every year and had FOUR years of control. And we got a decent reliever with two years of control?

Bad bad trade, IMO.

fWAR doesn’t account for framing and Narvaez was dead last (or close to) in all of baseball in that metric.  He needs to make massive improvements defensively to be worth much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think Colome in GRF will be a disaster. He's always been prone to the gopher ball. 

While this is true that his HR/FB% increased in '18, I believe that if he just keeps that curveball (slurve?) down & faces more lefties, he will be effective at GRF.  I think he's a solid #2/3 option in any pen.  Looks like, according to frangraphs, he likes to pound the mid-away & mid-down part of the plate on 12.8% of his pitches in 2018.... mid away is perfect for the cutter, I'd feel, and that middle down would be perfect for an in the dirt curveball/ slider.  I believe his cutter is his primary pitch, to no surprise we have the guy that teaches the expertise of that pitch.

Edited by Soxnfins
  • Thanks 1