Avi Garcia non-tendered

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Or they think bringing in numerous veterans for shorter deals is more effective than giving Manny/Bryce the largest deals ever?  

I know I’m in the minority here, but I truly believe accelerating the rebuild is about the TV deal and making sure the fanbase doesn’t lose interest in the team.  Adding a bunch of B free agents will help, but adding a whale has always been the #1 goal for this offseason.  We know because our front office was willing to think outside the box (right or wrong) and potentially add Machado to a 100 loss roster.  This is the first time in my entire fandom that I truly believe the hunt for a whale is real.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know I’m in the minority here, but I truly believe accelerating the rebuild is about the TV deal and making sure the fanbase doesn’t lose interest in the team.  Adding a bunch of B free agents will help, but adding a whale has always been the #1 goal for this offseason.  We know because our front office was willing to think outside the box (right or wrong) and potentially add Machado to a 100 loss roster.  This is the first time in my entire fandom that I truly believe the hunt for a whale is real.

winning helps build the fan base, not just adding Machado and then a bunch of garbage.  I don't think accelerating the rebuild is about the TV deal, it's about the organization showing promise.  2018 was pretty much a worst case scenario all around

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, fathom said:

winning helps build the fan base, not just adding Machado and then a bunch of garbage.  I don't think accelerating the rebuild is about the TV deal, it's about the organization showing promise.  2018 was pretty much a worst case scenario all around

Those two things are one & the same.  You’re right, 2018 was a disaster and both fans & media companies are probably losing interest.  We need to do something big to build back some positive goodwill.  Winning is a big part of that, but this franchise definitely needs a face which is why landing a whale is of the utmost importance.  To your point, we can’t stop there, although I disagree B free agents are garbage.  We have numerous spots on our roster that got replacement level production last year.  There is low hanging fruit that can be addressed with short term financial commitments.  Again, I know I’m in the minority here, but I’m happy to plug those gaps with solid veterans and put respectable roster in place.  One that can contend if enough young take that next step forward.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They could probably add $100M and break-even from a P&L perspective.  Our TV revenue alone is over $100M I believe.

Absolutely and that doesn't count all the profits from the previous years that are supposedly going back into the club........

And don't confuse that statement that we should spend it all this offseason if they will really use it in the future.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Those two things are one & the same.  You’re right, 2018 was a disaster and both fans & media companies are probably losing interest.  We need to do something big to build back some positive goodwill.  Winning is a big part of that, but this franchise definitely needs a face which is why landing a whale is of the utmost importance.  To your point, we can’t stop there, although I disagree B free agents are garbage.  We have numerous spots on our roster that got replacement level production last year.  There is low hanging fruit that can be addressed with short term financial commitments.  Again, I know I’m in the minority here, but I’m happy to plug those gaps with solid veterans and put respectable roster in place.  One that can contend if enough young take that next step forward.

Me and you are on the exact same page and I am and have been saying 2019 will be different for  a long time and of course was scoffed at. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that the rebuild started when it did. When they drew it up on the big board you have to think certain things were hi-lighted such as Machado and Harper  free agency and the TV contract. If they weren't then we have some pretty dumb executives running the show.

35 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Absolutely and that doesn't count all the profits from the previous years that are supposedly going back into the club........

And don't confuse that statement that we should spend it all this offseason if they will really use it in the future.

Yup, totally agree.  But to your point, we have no idea if they’ll reinvest that excess cash into the team not.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Me and you are on the exact same page and I am and have been saying 2019 will be different for  a long time and of course was scoffed at. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that the rebuild started when it did. When they drew it up on the big board you have to think certain things were hi-lighted such as Machado and Harper  free agency and the TV contract. If they weren't then we have some pretty dumb executives running the show.

100% agree.  If our front office is worth a damn, they’re looking at the big picture and planning accordingly.  Just like our long-term lease is of significant value, maximizing the value of our next local TV deal is of the utmost importantance.  If we can add a whale like Harper or Machado and build a roster that can be semi-competitive in 2019, that’s going to look very attractive to Comcast / other media providers and greatly improve our ability to negotiate a good TV deal.  That long-term revenue stream is far more important than any amount we could possibly spend filling holes with veterans this offseason.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  If our front office is worth a damn, they’re looking at the big picture and planning accordingly.  Just like our long-term lease is of significant value, maximizing the value of our next local TV deal is of the utmost importantance.  If we can add a whale like Harper or Machado and build a roster that can be semi-competitive in 2019, that’s going to look very attractive to Comcast / other media providers and greatly improve our ability to negotiate a good TV deal.  That long-term revenue stream is far more important than any amount we could possibly spend filling holes with veterans this offseason.

It's very possible the Sox do a 20 yr $2 billion dollar deal.