Jump to content
Sleepy Harold

Avi Garcia non-tendered

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Pretty funny how good Flowers has been yet I've never seen a single Sox fan lament getting rid of him.

You must not visit SoxMachine / SSS much because they still b**** about it endlessly to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flowers and Junior Guerra (since departing) have contributed roughly the same amount (8) of fWAR as Yolmer, Anderson and Moncada combined.

Marcus Semien was good for 3.7 this year, and roughly 9 career-wise.

Devenski and Jose Martinez have been worth another 8.4,  Eduardo Escobar, 9.5.

Etc.

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

@southsider2k5 anything illegal done here? Will Avi need to lawyer up? 

So one day you complain about someone replying to you, the next day you are tagging them?  Ha.  Irony much.  But for the record, and since you asked, notice he was non-tendered and not signed to a deal lower than what he could get through arbitration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand the Sox may negotiate or non-negotiate with these two players along with Billy Hamilton, Jonathon Schoop and others. Try predicting that outcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So one day you complain about someone replying to you, the next day you are tagging them?  Ha.  Irony much.  But for the record, and since you asked, notice he was non-tendered and not signed to a deal lower than what he could get through arbitration.

No but Leury Garcia signed for lower than what his arb was projected. Call in the lawyers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

No but Leury Garcia signed for lower than what his arb was projected. Call in the lawyers!

But not even less than 20% of his previous salary,  which was the entire point.

In fact he got a raise of about 400k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sad day to just give up on Avi when we currently have no decent options for rf. I worship Avi so I'm glum. In some respects I hope a Central team signs him or the Cubs sign him since we allegedly are tanking one more season and maybe Avi will gain revenge on the Sox for just releasing him.

To be fair, I am no medical expert, have no medical records and have no idea what the medical staff thinks of Avi. Perhaps they think his body is really broken and his contributions will be horrific the rest of his career. If that's the case, fine. Good luck to Avi and better luck to the Sox who apparently are deciding Avi and Davidson aren't nearly good enough to play for the Sox. If that's the case, WOW me, management and bring me some stars as soon as you can!

Go Sox! Good luck Avi.

Imagine worshipping Avisail Garcia 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the positive side for Avi, he seemed as though he worked hard, and was well-liked by his team mates, and he appeared to enjoy being here.

OTOH, it was irritating as fuck reading some posters [and hearing Hawk] carry on as though Avi was a former top 10 prospect, just waiting to break out, when in reality, he was never on any Top 125 lists as a prospect. I think I got banned from these boards arguing that they should have tried to sell high on him after his impossibly lucky 2017 season because of the overselling of his talent level.

I hated that he was yet another "cup of coffee acquisition," where KW/rick pick up a guy seemingly SOLELY because the acquired player had a few appearances in MLB. [Think Matt Davidson, Connor Gillaspie, Avi Garcia, even Yoan Moncada, and others; most of whom became underwhelming mediocrities.] But, I'll never hate any White Sox player, except for wife beaters, cheats, and outright assholes for whom the world would be a better place without their continued existence.

Best of luck to Avi, wherever he lands. May he learn to hit fewer GB, and become a regular provider of positive WAR wherever he lands.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

On the positive side for Avi, he seemed as though he worked hard, and was well-liked by his team mates, and he appeared to enjoy being here.

OTOH, it was irritating as fuck reading some posters [and hearing Hawk] carry on as though Avi was a former top 10 prospect, just waiting to break out, when in reality, he was never on any Top 125 lists as a prospect. I think I got banned from these boards arguing that they should have tried to sell high on him after his impossibly lucky 2017 season because of the overselling of his talent level.

I hated that he was yet another "cup of coffee acquisition," where KW/rick pick up a guy seemingly SOLELY because the acquired player had a few appearances in MLB. [Think Matt Davidson, Connor Gillaspie, Avi Garcia, even Yoan Moncada, and others; most of whom became underwhelming mediocrities.] But, I'll never hate any White Sox player, except for white beaters, cheats, and outright assholes for whom the world would be a better place without their continued existence.

Best of luck to Avi, wherever he lands. May he learn to hit fewer GB, and become a regular provider of positive WAR wherever he lands.

2013 MILB #74, Baseball America (#2 DET)

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Imagine worshipping Avisail Garcia 

I can't help it. I love certain players and I loved his hustle, his improvement in right field (yes he got a little better whether advanced stats show it or not) and enjoyed two seasons ago when he was so damn locked in he sprayed the ball all over the place and hit a few bombs, too. Damn I am a fan of Avi Garcia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Pretty funny how good Flowers has been yet I've never seen a single Sox fan lament getting rid of him.

I kinda liked the guy. I don't always look at the total body of work, rather some big moments in a guy's career with the Sox. I recall Flowers hitting a few majestic, DEEP home runs that made me feel like my MLB.com subscription was somewhat worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

2013 MILB #74, Baseball America (#2 DET)

Hey, I stand corrected. Clearly, he was destined to be the next Jermaine Dye, given those mighty credentials. The Sox should have given him a 10 year, $400MM contract, with accelerator clauses, annual opt-outs, and incentives for every basis point of GB% BEFORE he took a single AB on the South Side.

 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Hey, I stand corrected. Clearly, he was destined to be the next Jermaine Dye, given those mighty credentials. The Sox should have given him a 10 year, $400MM contract, with accelerator clauses, annual opt-outs, and incentives for every basis point of GB% BEFORE he took a single AB on the South Side.

 

In the end, the failure rate for #75-150 ranked prospects isn’t all that different, especially compared to the top 30 or top 50.

Many prospects who put up great AA numbers or even cup of tea (see Delmonico two seasons ago) late season MLB numbers can sustain it.

Half of that trade always was about dumping Peavy’s salary, rather than getting back a can’t miss guy.  From the beginning, mini-Miggy was always a false comp because it was mostly a physical comparison (unless you go by ballpark gossip/rumors, where he was the Dave Martinez to Miggy’s Ryno.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

In the end, the failure rate for #75-150 ranked prospects isn’t all that different, especially compared to the top 30 or top 50.

Many prospects who put up great AA numbers or even cup of tea (see Delmonico two seasons ago) late season MLB numbers can sustain it.

Half of that trade always was about dumping Peavy’s salary, rather than getting back a can’t miss guy.  From the beginning, mini-Miggy was always a false comp because it was mostly a physical comparison (unless you go by ballpark gossip/rumors, where he was the Dave Martinez to Miggy’s Ryno.)

Huh, I always heard the Ryno in that case was Prince Fielder.  https://247sports.com/mlb/tigers/Board/103351/Contents/A-Rumor-Ill-Print-about-Prince-Fielders-Wife-Avasail-Garcia-70637487/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

https://bossip.com/886388/athletes-hoes-did-detroit-tigers-baller-prince-fielder-get-traded-because-his-teammate-chopped-down-his-wife/

Yeah, it was Cabrera who actually was injured in the clubhouse fight related to this whole situation, then Fielder was dumped on the Rangers.

Avi’s name was also spelled incorrectly in that link.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Hey, I stand corrected. Clearly, he was destined to be the next Jermaine Dye, given those mighty credentials. The Sox should have given him a 10 year, $400MM contract, with accelerator clauses, annual opt-outs, and incentives for every basis point of GB% BEFORE he took a single AB on the South Side.

 

Maybe you just should have stopped after" I stand corrected". Caulfield didn't say anything else to warrant such disdainful sarcasm. You stated something that was clearly wrong and it was politely pointed out to you. It's ok to accept you were wrong graciously.

  • Like 2
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2018 at 3:27 AM, caulfield12 said:

In the end, the failure rate for #75-150 ranked prospects isn’t all that different, especially compared to the top 30 or top 50.

Half of that trade always was about dumping Peavy’s salary, rather than getting back a can’t miss guy.  

Oh, we're in agreement that he wasn't a "can't miss guy," and nor was he a top prospect. Although, the front office was trying to sell us that he was.

If you hadn't guessed it already, I was more mocking the stupid front office for the whole mini-Miggy bullshyte.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe you just should have stopped after" I stand corrected". Caulfield didn't say anything else to warrant such disdainful sarcasm. You stated something that was clearly wrong and it was politely pointed out to you. It's ok to accept you were wrong graciously.

Indeed. I'll try not to have any fun whatsoever. This is a SERIOUS White Sox board, after all.

Dean Wormer - Animal House - No More Fun Of Any Kind!!!

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Be afraid, be very afraid.

I would love to get him back. Just for the reasons KW suggested. The guy hustles, cares, is a gamer and has some hitting ability. He's not the only outfielder in MLB who gets hurt a lot, folks. They are out there. It happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×