Kyle Seager

3 hours ago, tray said:

I'd trade Moncada before trading Robert or Madrigal but I would not even go there unless Moncada either refused to play third base or just continued to be an average at best hitter with a high strike out rate.

Although seager is 31 is a good defender has pop and if they put in tve deal haniger id do it. Send them rutherford burger plus 2 non factor minor leaguers and take seagers contract. 

32 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

Although seager is 31 is a good defender has pop and if they put in tve deal haniger id do it. Send them rutherford burger plus 2 non factor minor leaguers and take seagers contract. 

GK:  I would make that trade as well buy I don't think Burgur has an ounce of trade value.

3 hours ago, Greek-konerko said:

Yolmer out WARed Seager last year.  Seager could be a real albatross; but to get Haniger, I would do the above, but no more (and I seriously doubt Seattle would go for that).
Haniger looks about like Nick Swisher when the Sox traded for him.

Edited by GreenSox

As it stands Seager's contract is under water 3M thats if you think he will bounce back to what steamer projects and the reduce by .5 fWAR over the remainder of his contract. Instead of trying to package Seager with Haniger I would prefer the sox look to get Mallex Smith, best case scenario we're looking at a 3fWAR leadoff type worse case he can be a valuable 4th of on a contending club.

I would consider a package like this: Seager & Smith to the sox for Carson Fulmer, Steele Walker & Laz Rivera with the sox picking up all 57M of his contract 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why would Seattle trade Smith after just (re)acquiring him? He will cost you.

And sox have not had much success seeing numbers for players on Tampa translate to the white sox.

"why would Chicago trade Gio Gonzalez? after just (re)acquiring him?"

honestly they're going for a full rebuild and fulmer is a change of scenery candidate, they're going to need to move someone like Smith if they're determined to move Seager's contract at any cost.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

The same reason they're trying to trade Swarzak right after acquiring him

Swarzak makes 8 million this year. He was taken on to offset Cano.

Smith is pre-arb and was the headline piece in trading Zunino.

Just now, bmags said:

Swarzak makes 8 million this year. He was taken on to offset Cano.

Smith is pre-arb and was the headline piece in trading Zunino.

Bingo. Smith is exactly the kind of player the M's should be getting. Swarzak is exactly the kind they should trade.

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I would say the primary reason is, well, Jerry Dipoto.

That's valid, but between Narvaez and Smith, now crawford, it's clear he's still valuing players even if their control is for <6 years.

He has zero farm, so I'm not sure I quite get it, but at very least he may be looking to develop those players prior to shipping them off.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

This team is so far removed from a move like this. I feel I have to remind people but this team lost 100 games. We shouldn't be trading for someone like seager who should be looking at someone who is close and blocked like Chavis and offering Colome.

Amen.  

Nothing against Seager but he is the kind of a player a contender plugs into a hole.  

Aim higher, Aim younger, or at worst Aim at a lottery ticket with some upside.... Seager is none of the above.  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 7:58 PM, fathom said:

Not for nearly 20 mil a year after the season he just had.  He’s not exactly the most athletic player and he’s older than most think.

I haven't scoured the tape to see if there's something special about his regression last year that's likely to persist into the future, but with that said this is the kind of calculated risk the Sox are in a really good position to take. There's nobody pushing him at 3B and our payroll could sustain the wasted money if he keeps struggling. He's not young but not super old either. If you can get him for nothing but the cost of his contract, seems to me like a move with some serious upside.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

If you can get him for nothing but the cost of his contract, seems to me like a move with some serious upside.

Upside?

To me upside means the chance for a player to become a superstar or to significantly outplay their contract. 

I think there is less than a 1% chance Seager is an MVP candidate anytime in the remaining 4 years of his contract and around a 5% - 10% chance that he outplays the around $18,000,000 per year he is owed.  I'd call that NO upside.  This is the kind of bandaid move the Sox would have done prior to the rebuild.  

• Thanks 1

I have always been a Seager fan, but I am not taking him unless the M's want to pay down half his contact and give him away for nothing, or they want to send someone like Mallex Smith or Jared Kelenic with him. 

At this point, hard to rule anything out with Dipoto.  Not sure WTF he's doing. 

2 hours ago, Jake said:

I haven't scoured the tape to see if there's something special about his regression last year that's likely to persist into the future, but with that said this is the kind of calculated risk the Sox are in a really good position to take. There's nobody pushing him at 3B and our payroll could sustain the wasted money if he keeps struggling. He's not young but not super old either. If you can get him for nothing but the cost of his contract, seems to me like a move with some serious upside.

The guy who broke all of the recent Mariners transactions has said the Mariners really want to dump Seager and their internal forecasts have his best days behind him. 

I am not totally opposed to Seager as a player, but the four year comittment at $17/$18M AAV or whatever it is seems a little stiff for me.

Sox are very open, but ultimately I think the Sox move Moncada to 3B and pick up a scrap heap 2B FA like Dozier, Murphy or Schoop.

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Upside?

To me upside means the chance for a player to become a superstar or to significantly outplay their contract. 

I think there is less than a 1% chance Seager is an MVP candidate anytime in the remaining 4 years of his contract and around a 5% - 10% chance that he outplays the around $18,000,000 per year he is owed.  I'd call that NO upside.  This is the kind of bandaid move the Sox would have done prior to the rebuild.  

To me upside means he could be a really good player; the upside is what he has long been. From 2012–2017, his worst season by WAR was 3.6. In that time, the White Sox have only had 7 player-seasons that good or better. None, as I'm sure you know, were by a 3B. If Seager can return to his previous worst performance, making him one of the best handful of 3B around, he'd be well worth the money.

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The guy who broke all of the recent Mariners transactions has said the Mariners really want to dump Seager and their internal forecasts have his best days behind him. 

I am not totally opposed to Seager as a player, but the four year comittment at $17/$18M AAV or whatever it is seems a little stiff for me.

Sox are very open, but ultimately I think the Sox move Moncada to 3B and pick up a scrap heap 2B FA like Dozier, Murphy or Schoop.

Winning these types of deals obviously requires you to be more optimistic and more correct about the players' future performance. I certainly wouldn't put too much value on the opinion of those geniuses in Seattle.

As a side note about Moncada to 3B, I think that's nuts, especially for some short-term veteran. Moncada really isn't that bad defensively at 2B and his weakness there (his hands) is going to be magnified at 3B while one of his strengths (range) isn't well-utilized there. His arm would play up at 3B but he'd also be vulnerable to footwork problems that he's probably not going to pick up too quickly.

23 minutes ago, Jake said:

As a side note about Moncada to 3B, I think that's nuts, especially for some short-term veteran. Moncada really isn't that bad defensively at 2B and his weakness there (his hands) is going to be magnified at 3B while one of his strengths (range) isn't well-utilized there. His arm would play up at 3B but he'd also be vulnerable to footwork problems that he's probably not going to pick up too quickly.

Yeah I am with you for all the reasons stated and more but from what I can gauge, there's as good as a chance he ends up at 3B as 2B. 

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Yeah I am with you for all the reasons stated and more but from what I can gauge, there's as good as a chance he ends up at 3B as 2B. 

Off-topic, but wanted to make sure you see it.

Any intel on if the Sox are going to be in on Kikuchi?  

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I swear JeDi just likes to make trades for the sake of making trades. 

This a strong assumption. I do wonder if he just tried to get out in front of people's budgets being spent. Probably less money available in Feb than November. On other hand, if a player could help with a playoff run, always seems there is more money in July.

For all that they traded off, I just hate the pile of prospects they got back even while liking Kelenic quite a bit.