Castillo the starter, Sox still looking to add

southsider2k5

“potential catcher fits moving forward”...sounds to me like they’re exploring 1) trades for a controllable catcher 2) a guy like Grandal.  

Also seems like if they’re looking at fits going forward (and not a stopgap) they’re less sure Collins/Seby are the solution. But could be reading into it too much. 

5 minutes ago, username said:

“potential catcher fits moving forward”...sounds to me like they’re exploring 1) trades for a controllable catcher 2) a guy like Grandal.  

Also seems like if they’re looking at fits going forward (and not a stopgap) they’re less sure Collins/Seby are the solution. But could be reading into it too much. 

That sentence could mean literally anything.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am cool with a veteran backstop on a cheap deal for this season.  

Someone like Wieters, Vogt, or Mesoraco.

I wouldn't hate Grandal depending on price, but wouldn't be my first choice of places to extend big dollars.  

Grandal is a strong statement that this team does not believe in Collins and that Collins has no role behind the plate for this org. If they signed Grandal, they should move Collins to 1b immediately. If they don't believe in Collins behind the plate, then perhaps that's the right call as I think Grandal is at a good age to get production from the catcher's spot for the next several years from him. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Grandal is a strong statement that this team does not believe in Collins and that Collins has no role behind the plate for this org. If they signed Grandal, they should move Collins to 1b immediately. If they don't believe in Collins behind the plate, then perhaps that's the right call as I think Grandal is at a good age to get production from the catcher's spot for the next several years from him. 

Yah, I think regardless Collins is probably a part time catcher, part-time 1B/DH in the mold of early career Carlos Santana/Evan Gattis/Mike Napoli.  So, I don't think signing Grandal necessary means "Collins has no role behind the plate for this org", but it definitely would be a strong statement that they don't see him as the full time catcher of the future. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I think regardless Collins is probably a part time catcher, part-time 1B/DH in the mold of early career Carlos Santana/Evan Gattis/Mike Napoli.  So, I don't think signing Grandal necessary means "Collins has no role behind the plate for this org", but it definitely would be a strong statement that they don't see him as the full time catcher of the future. 

Frankly, if the White Sox signed Grandal, I'd move Collins over to 1b immediately as the White Sox could potentially have a 1b need as soon as 2020 and if Collins could focus mainly on offense this year, there's a chance he could be ready to fill that need. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Frankly, if the White Sox signed Grandal, I'd move Collins over to 1b immediately as the White Sox could potentially have a 1b need as soon as 2020 and if Collins could focus mainly on offense this year, there's a chance he could be ready to fill that need. 

I wouldn't end Collins catching days just yet.  He could still provide a ton of value even as a part time catcher.  No rush in moving him to 1B fulltime, IMO.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't end Collins catching days just yet.  He could still provide a ton of value even as a part time catcher.  No rush in moving him to 1B fulltime, IMO.  

He could be like how the Cubs planned on using Schwarber that one season (the year he got hurt): 3rd catcher, gets playing time at another position (1B) but in this case, he can also DH.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The missing piece is...I also don't know everything the White Sox know about these guys on defense and in the clubhouse and working with pitching staffs. We've heard poor reports outside the org about his defense but lots of reports say that his bat has a good chance of playing. If the White Sox had similar internal reports....Grandal's available right now and he's better than any catcher who would be a free agent next year. If the Sox are thinking they can't develop Collins on defense, Grandal could be one of the "we can't decide when a player is available" moves. And if Collins got the chance to focus on his hitting this year, that could push Collins's development as a hitter forward.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Braves supposedly still interested in Realmuto.  If they do trade for him, I wonder if Hahn brings back the prodigal son in Tyler Flowers.

Someone said the Braves overvalue their prospects and when you think about it, they have yet to acquire a significant, established player via trade. They have kept the vast majority of their prospect accumulation. They've been in on plenty of rumors, but never actually converted on anything. I would kind of doubt them breaking that trend with a team in their division but you can't ever rule out the stupidity of the Marlins. 

Edited by raBBit

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Someone said the Braves overvalue their prospects and when you think about it, they have yet to acquire a significant, established player via trade. They have kept the vast majority of their prospect accumulation. They've been in on plenty of rumors, but never actually converted on anything. I would kind of doubt them breaking that trend with a team in their division but you can't ever rule out the stupidity of the Marlins. 

Mets are supposedly hot after Realmuto also tonight.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Mets are supposedly hot after Realmuto also tonight.

That's an inner division trade I can see. Van Wagenen is a wild card. I feel like he's going to do his best impression of AJ Preller's first season.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly was getting Preller flashbacks early today when reading about the Nimmo for Realmuto rumor.

It's pretty scary. He takes over a team that's at a crossroads and he's making a bunch of risky moves and getting rid of his top prospects for a reliever and 35-year-old Cano

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly was getting Preller flashbacks early today when reading about the Nimmo for Realmuto rumor.

The Marlins would be stupid to do that. Nimmo is good but he had a huge babip last year. 

Marlins are far away and don't need MLB ready pieces, they should shoot for upside and younger prospects.

7 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

The Marlins would be stupid to do that. Nimmo is good but he had a huge babip last year. 

Marlins are far away and don't need MLB ready pieces, they should shoot for upside and younger prospects.

There aren't a lot of contending teams that need catchers now that the Astros filled one of their spots yesterday...if your choice is the Mets trade or holding until the trade deadline what do you do? I'm not sure what the answer is.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There aren't a lot of contending teams that need catchers now that the Astros filled one of their spots yesterday...if your choice is the Mets trade or holding until the trade deadline what do you do? I'm not sure what the answer is.

You only go out and splurge on Grandal if you feel neither Collins or Zavala can be a long term option behind the plate. I see a veteran stopgap being a solid option to back up Castillo for 2019.