Patrick Corbin signing for 6/$140 million to Nats

DirtySox

Just now, fathom said:

That's why this is such a hard thing for Hahn to pull off.  If Harper/Machado don't sign until January, how does he make the necessary moves before that?  He can't wait until January to try and sign the other pieces that would make those guys want to come here.

Right that's what seems to be happening. How in the name of Zeus's butthole is Hahn going to convince Harper to join probably a 70 win team next year without massively overpaying to the point where it's an easy choice. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't be. $24M AAV is way to much for Corbin. 

Technically it's $23.3 million, and if you're not prepared to pay prices like this then there's no one on the free agent market you really will actually want. This is fair value for him. Frankly it's less AAV than I thought he'd get.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Technically it's $23.3 million, and if you're not prepared to pay prices like this then there's no one on the free agent market you really will actually want. This is fair value for him. Frankly it's less AAV than I thought he'd get.

You'd be losing your mind if the Sox paid Corbin $140M.   

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

You'd be losing your mind if the Sox paid Corbin $140M.   

Well yeah, a move that is the right move for a team that has been in the wild card race and playoffs in recent years would be a bad move for a rebuilding team with a ton of young pitching on the way up over the next 2-3 years.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know I would.  That is going to be a terrible contract in a very short amount of time.

As would I.  But now we get to sit here and listen to Balta tell us how great of a move it is and how its market because the Sox didn't do it.  Corbin is a good not great pitcher coming off a career.  He may be worth that contract for 2 seasons.  It will be a terrible contract before too long, and with all the sliders Corbin throws, he is a huge injury risk.  

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

If the Yankees had signed Corbin at this price, they’d have been out on Machado. 

No they wouldn't have been. They'd have been out if they were unwilling to pay the luxury tax, but they've clearly said they will pay it if they want to.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

As would I.  But now we get to sit here and listen to Balta tell us how great of a move it is and how its market because the Sox didn't do it.  Corbin is a good not great pitcher coming off a career.  He may be worth that contract for 2 seasons.  It will be a terrible contract before too long, and with all the sliders Corbin throws, he is a huge injury risk.  

Is it really impossible to understand that a fair market value contract given by one team would be a much worse deal for a team with a different roster?

Machado at $30 million a year would be a great buy for us. That would be a pretty terrible contract for the Astros. 

The Nats have been really good at identifying FA talent so part of me now thinks Corbin may end up succeeding.

Also, some of you can not seem to handle anyone not baghdad bobbing that the white sox will sign every free agent and are the perfect destination. Chill out. Fathom can point out obvious issues, and Balta can also point out that the top pitcher in the FA class getting a deal slightly over last years class is about expected without attributing it to personality defects.

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because it shows they have their limits.

The more likely scenario is they have limits set on an SP, so they could go after one of Harper and Machado. If Phillies' plan was to go after an SP and OF/3B, shouldn't losing the top tier SP give them money to still go after the 2nd tier SP and more money for Harper and Machado? Also, if Corbin went for $140 M, you could pretty much  bump up any Harper/Machado projection by about 5%-10%.

This is bad news for Sox.