Goldschmidt to Cards / Weaver-Kelly-Young to Dbacks

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

I know it’s Bob Nightengale but he tweeted the Cards are out of the Harper/Machado sweepstakes 

@BNightengale The #STLCards now are expected to move Matt Carpenter to third base, and likely out of the Machado/Harper sweepstakes.

While they seemed like a long-shot, I’ll take this as good news.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Holy fuck that seems like a ton for One year of Goldschmidt.

yes and no.  I think StL is someplace Goldschmidt will love playing and will re-up.  Kelly is a good piece...Luke Weaver...sure.  Know nothing about Young.  Good deal for the Cards IMO...

I just think STL has soured on Kelly.  Not necessarily saying right or wrong but that's why I don't think they see this as an overpay.  He was also going to be blocked again this year so I think they wanted to use him to get their big bat and obviously Goldschmidt is one of the bigger ones out there.

Edited by Rowand44

36 minutes ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

I know it’s Bob Nightengale but he tweeted the Cards are out of the Harper/Machado sweepstakes

@BNightengale The #STLCards now are expected to move Matt Carpenter to third base, and likely out of the Machado/Harper sweepstakes.

Disagree.  Think the Cards would be smart to go after Harper hard.  Can you imagine the draft from all the buttholes puckering at once on the North side if the Cards landed both Harper and Goldy this offseason lol....

25 minutes ago, Baron said:

I think if you wanted Harper to seriously consider us...this was a trade you had to make 

Only if you could keep Goldschimdt long-term, and even then, there were signs of a decline last year in terms of elite bat speed.

This would have been the equivalent of dealing Collins, Dunning and one of 4 minor league outfielders not named Robert for a one year, all-in attempt without first having secured Machado or Harper.

Plus the whole NL to AL adjustment.  The Cardinals have no choice if they want to compete with the Brewers and Cubs.

Edited by caulfield12

seems steep for one year of Goldschmidt. When you factor in Kelly was recently rated #55, weaver's value and youngs and a top 100 pick roughly worth 2.2fWAR @ roughly 9 million it seems about right if you think Goldschmidt + the pick he will likely receive for not taking the QO is about 35ish million in surplus value.