Dodgers have reached out about Jose Abreu

Sleepy Harold

8 minutes ago, username said:

I mean it’s entirely possible that the Sox could trade Abreu and still end up better at 1B/overall.  I doubt they’d flip him just to pick up specs but Abreu being traded doesn’t mean the plan has changed. 

Entertaining that idea on here is an eternal sin. Prepare to be burned at the proverbial soxtalk stake. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Entertaining that idea on here is an eternal sin. Prepare to be burned at the proverbial soxtalk stake. 

Ron, if you don't see how "the Sox could trade Abreu and get better at 1B" is leagues different than "Abreu should be DFAd", there's no hope for you. And no, I will not ban bet you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Abreu traded has been discussed more than a few times this off season. I've mentioned trading him several times because I can see Harper playing 1st. I also mentioned it after the Sox dumped Narvaez , Avi and Davidson as part of improving the defense which Hahn wanted to do.

Problem is just cant purge the team of all its HR power too without something done to restore it also. Abreu was 2nd, Davidson 4th and Avi 5th  Narvaez 7th on the Sox in HR's. As some have said Abreu really can't go anywhere while pursuing the whales unless there is a corresponding move before or shortly after.

Besides this is all  highly speculative on the tweeters part, pretty much the same as me saying it.

Given that I still don’t believe we have a shot in hell at Machado or Harper I say listen real hard on offers for anyone if it improves the team for 2020.

Im personally not trading for guys that aren’t near the majors at this point tho, which could be a problem trading with the Dodgers. Anyone think they would trade Joc? They have Bellinger, Puig, Kemp, Verdugo, and Taylor/Keke to play OF next year. Seems like someone has to go and Verdugo isn’t happening obviously.

Will Smith, Edwin Rios, and Tony Gonsolin...3 prospects I’d have  lot of interest in as well

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

8 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Why would they want him when they have bellinger? He moving to the OF permanently? Bellinger is better than Abreu. Don't understand this. 

Bellinger can't hit lefties and is a good OF too. The Dodgers move bellinger  around a lot and sit him a bit against lefties too.

7 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Thats a strong assumption that there even will be any people at Soxfest in that situation.

If Hahn is making moves on that basis he should be fired. Trading Abreu is in the best interests of this franchise assuming you can get a decent return even approaching Goldy.

This team lost 100 games last year. It will be bad with or without Abreu it's time for some fans to get their heads out of the clouds and back to reality

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

If Hahn is making moves on that basis he should be fired. Trading Abreu is in the best interests of this franchise assuming you can get a decent return even approaching Goldy.

This team lost 100 games last year. It will be bad with or without Abreu it's time for some fans to get their heads out of the clouds and back to reality

No one likes the reality of sucking. This is the time of year for my head to be in the clouds. Unlike others I don't think the Sox FO is playing a dangerous game with the fans. The reality is when you have the payroll and go after certain guys . missing out on them is part of the process. Would you rather they not go after them at all just so you can't be disappointed ? If it doesn't work out you just continue the rebuild as planned and shoot for the stars again next year.

I'm torn on the idea of trading Abreu.  I think that if the Sox are able to sign Harper or Machado they should extend Abreu for another 2-3 years.  And even if they don't make some significant improvements this off season, I would hope the Sox wouldn't trade Abreu without getting a really nice return.  I'm not saying he should bring back a Goldy-like return, but something close.

Ultimately I'd like to see Abreu here into the competitive years, but I'd be okay with a big return for him.

Will Machado or Harper look at suitors and see who will bat around them for some protection?  Obviously if they go to an established contender, that would not be an issue. But if the White Sox are meeting with them, in the middle of a rebuild, would they be concerned that teams could pitch around them if the rest of the lineup is weak.  Abreu behind them might help as opposed to Palka who they probably never heard of .  But then again, maybe these guys could care less about the lineup. Just a thought. 

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Will Machado or Harper look at suitors and see who will bat around them for some protection?  Obviously if they go to an established contender, that would not be an issue. But if the White Sox are meeting with them, in the middle of a rebuild, would they be concerned that teams could pitch around them if the rest of the lineup is weak.  Abreu behind them might help as opposed to Palka who they probably never heard of .  But then again, maybe these guys could care less about the lineup. Just a thought. 

The biggest challenge we face trying to convince these guys to come play for us is making it clear that the rebuild is in it’s ending stage and we expect to be playoff contenders by 2020.  So while I don’t think either guy necessarily cares about protection in 2019, optically trading Abreu sends the wrong message and for that reason alone it won’t happen.

33 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

You bring up a good point. Harper would probably rather it go Moncada, Harper, Abreu/Eloy. 

4 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Keibert Ruiz is a return approaching what the DBacks got for Goldschmidt.

13 minutes ago, tray said:

Do the Sox project Eloy to be a corner outfielder in the long term  (e.g. over the next 3-6 years) ?

If Eloy is projected as another Big Frank at first base, then I see how trading Abreu might make sense.

Right now I think most experts believe he can be an average-ish LF in the short-term.  At some point, he may get too big & slow for the position, but hopefully that’s a few years out.  I think the Sox will keep him in the OF until someone in the minors forces the issue.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No one likes the reality of sucking. This is the time of year for my head to be in the clouds. Unlike others I don't think the Sox FO is playing a dangerous game with the fans. The reality is when you have the payroll and go after certain guys . missing out on them is part of the process. Would you rather they not go after them at all just so you can't be disappointed ? If it doesn't work out you just continue the rebuild as planned and shoot for the stars again next year.

Of course noone likes the reality of a rebuild when it happens but about the worst thing we can do is go for it when the roster has been torn down and the kids we've traded and drafted are pretty much all still in the minors.

It isn't about disappointment it's about not becoming the next Orioles because when you go for it you are stuck with these guys for 4-5 years. You don't get to just say well I wanted to go for it and it didn't work. The guys are on the roster well beyond when you figure that fact our. Then it sort of becomes a snowball effect the bad moves beget more bad moves and you start trading from your minor leagues because you don't have the payroll flexibility to do anything different.

Take a look at the ML roster. There are holes everywhere and even the positions that are filled there is a ton of uncertainty with respect to health and/or future performance. Unless the plan is to spend 200+ million like the Redsox there will be big gaping holes throughout the roster. So I guess my question is and has always been for those who want to sacrifice the financial flexibility what is the plan  beyond the immediancy of signing Harper or Machado or whatever FA catches your eye. Then what? Do we keep Abreu too? Do you believe that gets you to the playoffs? I don't. I don't think there is a path currently with what is on the roster and what I think is available to us payroll wise. I'm just being real.

So I'd rather use this year to the fullest and get as much prospect capital as we can so that we when these guys do start to get called up and we are in a position to go for it we are in the best position possible.

• Love 1

One reality inherent in the rebuild is the short shelf life that players have in the majors. Most of us consider that prospects, say under under 21 or 22  yrs. old, aren't "ready" to even start their careers on a major league team.  Then once they reach 30,  they are considered over-the -hill or perhaps not part of any rebuild process.

Given that, it is understandable how difficult it is for each of the 30 teams to find that magical combination where all of the talent on the roster reaches a crescendo in the same season.  We are not the only team that is having a hard time putting it together, even for some future season where you project talent, payroll, possible injury and varying performance from season to season. I'm glad I am not Rick Hahn.

Man this dude is over rated here.  He is a an utterly fungible 2-4 WAR 1B that is probably 2 years older than his listed age.  Nice player, not a star, not anymore anyways.  Had a great rookie year.  Love him to death as a clubhouse guy but if the right deal is out there you move him as in 3 more years, when in theory the Sox should be absolutely cooking, he will be long out of his prime.  

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Man this dude is over rated here.  He is a an utterly fungible 2-4 WAR 1B that is probably 2 years older than his listed age.  Nice player, not a star, not anymore anyways.  Had a great rookie year.  Love him to death as a clubhouse guy but if the right deal is out there you move him as in 3 more years, when in theory the Sox should be absolutely cooking, he will be long out of his prime.  

I think you're missing the point.  A lot of people (myself included) don't want to trade him because he has minimal trade value.  He is paid appropriately, therefore no one is going to give up any significant prospect for 1 year of Jose.  

What's the point in trading Jose for some back-end top 15 prospect from LAD that we'll DFA or leave exposed to the Rule 5 in 500 days because we have no room on the 40 man? We're at the point in the rebuild that we either need MLB ready guys we can give an opportunity to in 2019, or significant prospects. We're going to have a real 40 man crunch after the 2019 season - we don't need more middling prospects.

I also think some people are ready to see the Sox take the next step in the rebuild.  Trading out best bat doesn't exactly help that.  

• Like 1