Eovaldi signs with Red Sox

LittleHurt05

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If 4/68 is really the truth, well bless their hearts.

I'd rather have neither but if the choice in this market is Eovaldi 4/68 or Corbin 6/140 well it's an easy decision. I'd take Eovaldi on pure stuff alone unless he blows out his arm he won't be a bad contract.

Edited by wrathofhahn

25 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I'd rather have neither but if the choice in this market is Eovaldi 4/68 or Corbin 6/140 well it's an easy decision. I'd take Eovaldi on pure stuff alone unless he blows out his arm he won't be a bad contract.

Eovaldi has had two TJS. It means it is a lot more likely to happen again, and it will probably end his career. 

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

Boston is in win now mode. You just won a WS, you have to try and go for it again, it's expensive but Dom has never shy'd away from spending. Detroit might be in the toilet now but they we're kings of the central for a decade.

A 4 year deal for him is a considerable risk, especially for him to stay healthy

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Eovaldi has had two TJS. It means it is a lot more likely to happen again, and it will probably end his career. 

Yeah it sort of is what it is though. If he didn't have those surgeries he'd have gotten more and his contract would likely look like Corbins so there is risk and upside.

I would have probably liked it one less year if I was a fan of the Redsox but it's not outrageous it was what I was expecting if not slightly less. I think I had 70 million. Corbins deal ontheotherhand....

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

A 4 year deal for him is a considerable risk, especially for him to stay healthy

Absolutely it is, but when your core is ready to win now, that's a risk someone like Dombrowski always takes.We should hope the Sox are in a position like this in a couple years.

Edited by TheTruth05

11 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Absolutely it is, but when your core is ready to win now, that's a risk someone like Dombrowski always takes.We should hope the Sox are in a position like this in a couple years.

It's only money, which the Red Sox have plenty of. With a pretty weak farm they don't have trade chips to go out and make significant moves other ways than free agency. Solid move if healthy. 

• Like 1

Ultimately Boston has won a world series so they are better at this, but because they are in win now mode I like Eovaldi less. On other hand, perhaps they can ease him into season to make sure he's ready to go again in playoffs.

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Maybe if he struggles at some point but they aren't moving him there otherwise.

He thinks if Kimbrel goes elsewhere he works best when he ditches his cutter, and with his medical issues he would be easier to protect in the bullpen. And says his price isn’t crazy for a top closer.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He thinks if Kimbrel goes elsewhere he works best when he ditches his cutter, and with his medical issues he would be easier to protect in the bullpen. And says his price isn’t crazy for a top closer.

Eovaldi had a 3.33 ERA last season for the sox and a 2.88 FIP. He has a career 3.88 FIP. Even if puts up an ERA in line with his career FIP numbers they are not moving him to the bullpen.

If he struggles or experiences health issues sure it's possible. I like Smoltz as an analyst he comes up with interesting stuff but the Sox did not sign Eovaldi to close. That is not to say plans can't change but comeon.

20 hours ago, steveno89 said:

It's only money, which the Red Sox have plenty of. With a pretty weak farm they don't have trade chips to go out and make significant moves other ways than free agency. Solid move if healthy. 

Agree but he is penciled in as a Number 4 starter. Unfortunately the rich get richer. I would assume they take out a LLoyd's policy to protect their investment.