Tony

Bryce Harper Updates

1 minute ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Whatever happened to that photo of Kopech and Bryce together? Still unable to prove it?

Santa deleted it.

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Are the Cubs, Yankees and Dodgers already near or above the luxury tax? If not, how much of a penalty would they look to be paying if they signed Harper for $40+ million a year?

Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers were all under last year. Yankees are like $100 million under right now. Dodgers have $$ to play with but told their investors they wouldn't be going over. The Cubs payroll is $210 million. That's over the first threshold. They could spend up to $245 million before the very significant penalties hit. They need multiple relievers, infielder and backup catcher though with big raises coming to their core guys over next few years. It just isn't feasible for them unless they can move major $$ 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers were all under last year. Yankees are like $100 million under right now. Dodgers have $$ to play with but told their investors they wouldn't be going over. The Cubs payroll is $210 million. That's over the first threshold. They could spend up to $245 million before the very significant penalties hit. They need multiple relievers, infielder and backup catcher though with big raises coming to their core guys over next few years. It just isn't feasible for them unless they can move major $$ 

not to mention who going tto manage them next i dont think joe maddoen we get resign after this season

I think the excitement here is a little much based on our track record...

a) kopech in vegas - glad he said it himself. Why would Harper care to meet with Kopech? Who cares. He hasn't proven he's an anything pitcher yet and is injured all of next year. He could very well be one of these pitchers who has trouble locating the strike zone even with his stuff and being a 4/5 starter. If the Sox plan somehow involved sending a AAA player to meet with Harper then our plan is worse than we think and have no chance

b) everybody here is discounting the cubs. I'd still put the cubs over the sox if he was to sign in Chicago. You better believe Theo is looking for a way to package heyward/happ/____ to somebody to open up payroll... He'll make every single attempt possible to get rid of chatwood and heyward if it means getting harper.

c) we're still against "funny money" philly who failed on corbin. They have more to lose than us -- if it comes down to even money maybe we have the edge, but with where the Phillies are now and Boras? I think very possible they put in a last second bid better than the rest. They didn't do it on Corbin.. but Corbin isn't Harper

d) realistically I like Harper more than Machado too, however let's be honest. We have Robert, Eloy, Rutherford, Basabe, Adolfo making progress through the minors. At 3B we have Burger who was questionable at 3B before the injury and? If you're spending as much as we are it may be smarter to have a Machado on your team.

Not that my handicap means a thing - but I'll go.... 25% cubs .... 25% sox ... 25% Phillies ... 15% dodgers.... 5% Yankees .... 5% angels.

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Are the Cubs, Yankees and Dodgers already near or above the luxury tax? If not, how much of a penalty would they look to be paying if they signed Harper for $40+ million a year?

I believe the Cubs are projected to be over the luxury tax threshold before Harper, so they’re looking at least a 25% tax in year 1 and +50% by year 3 if they were to add him.  Not sure about the Yankees & Dodgers, but I believe a Harper addition would definitely put L.A. over.

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There’s nothing of substance of linking the Cubs to Harper other than Bryce being best buds with Bryant and the perception the Cubs being big spenders.

Dave Kaplan: "Why else would he show interest in Chicago?"

5 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I don't really buy the idea that the yankees think they *need* to do something at all. They have been lukewarm at best on everybody

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

If the Cubs get Harper just move this franchise to Portland and get it over with.

I echo these sentiments. The Cub trolls would be unbearable. Just leave town at that point and let me be a casual baseball fan. I don't think I could openly root for a team from Wisconsin or St. Louis. Most Brewer fans are also Packer fans, and most Cardinals fans are also Blues fans. Huge no-no on both. I despise the Jankees. 

6 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I don't really buy the idea that the yankees think they *need* to do something at all. They have been lukewarm at best on everybody

Their biggest rival just won the World Series.. I know Daddy Steinbrenner would not stand for that (probably rolling over in his grave). BUT, with that being said, offense really wasn't their problem.

Edited by SoxAce

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

"Oh no, we only have Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton in our outfield and won 100 games. PANIC."

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

And they already added an All Star caliber pitcher.  I won't be surprised if they do something, because they're the Yankees, but I don't think they need to do anything.  Heck, they may already have the best team in that division, with adding Paxton and the Red Sox losing Kimbrel (maybe).

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

And they already added an All Star caliber pitcher.  I won't be surprised if they do something, because they're the Yankees, but I don't think they need to do anything.  Heck, they may already have the best team in that division, with adding Paxton and the Red Sox losing Kimbrel (maybe).

The Jankees can make a team that literally can't lose if they wanted to. They could go get Keuchel and Machado and tell the rest of baseball "Beat me if you can" That team stays healthy, it wins 120 games and scores 1000+ runs, and probably the world series. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Jankees can make a team that literally can't lose if they wanted to. They could go get Keuchel and Machado and tell the rest of baseball "Beat me if you can" That team stays healthy, it wins 120 games and scores 1000+ runs, and probably the world series. 

Dodgers could also, as they could easily trade for Kluber and Realmuto and then sign Harper.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Dodgers could also, as they could easily trade for Kluber and Realmuto and then sign Harper.

Yup. What's stopping them? Absolutely nothing. If that happened it would turn baseball into the NBA for a couple years where Yankees-Dodgers would be the de facto WS matchup annually until they get old or injured. At the end of the day, unless there is a cap, money talks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Baron said:

Not sure Scott helps 

I assume the whole thing is meant to be sarcastic

The only sad thing is I'm not sure who in our organization you would bring as the "now we're being serious" crew. Abreu? Probably not since he's likely to be gone soon. No other established faces.

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

The only sad thing is I'm not sure who in our organization you would bring as the "now we're being serious" crew. Abreu? Probably not since he's likely to be gone soon. No other established faces.

Are you familiar with Q ratings?

• Haha 2