Tony

Bryce Harper Updates

56 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Harper tells the Phillies he's not going there if the Cubs and others offer 400 million, I can see the Phil's being disparate enough to take Heyward. I can also see a team like the Reds who want pitching badly being disparate enough to take Darvish. Wilson Contreras also has trade value. 

I don't understand the logic of the Phillies offering to take Heyward, which would only help the Cubs to obtain Harper.

17 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Probably so, but will they?

They pretty much have to.  Fan interest in this team is at an all-time low.  The single biggest thing we could do to change the trajectory of this franchise is to land not only a whale but the Moby Dick of whales.  Harper literally has the potential to change everything for us.  I’m confident our ownership group & front office understands this and will do everything within reason to get this done.

The problem with trying to anticipate what the Cubs or any team can pay is we as fans have no visibility into a clubs financial picture, i.e. their P&L. A team's room under the luxury tax threshold is only one variable to their overall capacity. My guess is teams like the Cubs, Dodgers and Yankees (maybe Boston) have so many revenue sources that they can easily afford variances to payroll that other teams can't absorb. There is a direct correlation between star power and profitability and a corresponding dollar amount these teams are willing to pay for 'stars'. There  was an interesting piece in FG a couple weeks ago that gave a peak into the Atlanta Braves financial situation (they are part of a publicly held company). Notwithstanding the annual bump in team value, they made over $100 million despite a horrible TV deal.  

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't understand the logic of the Phillies offering to take Heyward, which would only help the Cubs to obtain Harper.

If Harper is told by Theo they will offer him big money if they trade Heyward, Harper would then tell the Phillies he won't sign with them. In this case, the Phillies no longer can worry about Harper signing with the Cubs. My point is a longshot, but it is a scenario for the Cubs to clear cap. If the Phillies don't get Harper or Manny, they may be willing to pay Heyward who was solid last year with great defense. 

1 hour ago, Sockin said:

Boras does not care which team gives Bryce top dollar. He won't hold out for the Cubs if there's a team offering him $35 to $40m/year.

Boras works for Harper, not the other way around. In my scenario, the Cubs offer would clearly have to be real competitive. 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

The problem with trying to anticipate what the Cubs or any team can pay is we as fans have no visibility into a clubs financial picture, i.e. their P&L. A team's room under the luxury tax threshold is only one variable to their overall capacity. My guess is teams like the Cubs, Dodgers and Yankees (maybe Boston) have so many revenue sources that they can easily afford variances to payroll that other teams can't absorb. There is a direct correlation between star power and profitability and a corresponding dollar amount these teams are willing to pay for 'stars'. There  was an interesting piece in FG a couple weeks ago that gave a peak into the Atlanta Braves financial situation (they are part of a publicly held company). Notwithstanding the annual bump in team value, they made over $100 million despite a horrible TV deal.  

The problem you’re ignoring when it comes to the Cubs in their operating income is being used to finance the purchase of the team.  I’ll keep saying, but until they get that new TV deal money in place, they will likely remain somewhat frugal.  

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Harper is told by Theo they will offer him big money if they trade Heyward, Harper would then tell the Phillies he won't sign with them. In this case, the Phillies no longer can worry about Harper signing with the Cubs. My point is a longshot, but it is a scenario for the Cubs to clear cap. If the Phillies don't get Harper or Manny, they may be willing to pay Heyward who was solid last year with great defense. 

Heyward is a 2 WAR player.  The Phillies would be better off signing Brantley or McCutchen and not giving a rival a get out of jail free card.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No one is taking Heyward or Darvish without incredibly valuable pieces coming with them.  Like for the Phillies to take Heyward, they’d probably need Schwarber plus Happ or Contreras.  How does that make sense for the Cubs exactly?  And honestly, I don’t think anyone would even touch Darvish at this point.  We really need to stop treating the Cubs like the Boogeyman in these sweepstakes.

The bottom line is my point is a longshot, but I was asked how it would be possible. Darvish and Heyward have value to separate teams. Like we are disparate to overpay for Harper. I will never count out the Yankees, Red sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Angel's for talent. They seem to find a way to make things happen time and time again. We as Sox fans don't understand this because our organization doesn't sit at that table yet. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Heyward is a 2 WAR player.  The Phillies would be better off signing Brantley or McCutchen and not giving a rival a get out of jail free card.

It was simply an example. Maybe a desperate team on the come up like the Padres will bite. The team doesn't matter, it just takes one desperate one to work. 

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

So if the Cubs and Yankees can't make it work financially, and Harper doesn't like Philadelphia, then who is our biggest competition to land Harper?

MYSTERY TEAM

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

I can see the Cubs unloading a contract during the winter meetings.. no idea who but its possible. 

I hadn't really thought it would be possible without the Cubs picking up a lot of cost (either in dollars or prospects) but seeing free agent contracts this winter, the Heyward deal isn't nearly as bad as it once was.

IF we miss out on Harper...taking on Heyward's contract to lift Contreras from the Cubs could be an interesting route.  They're supposedly pursuing Realmuto and Contreras would be an awesome controllable piece to add.

3 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

I hear his sister Judy is far superior.

Meet George Jetson, Jane his wife , daughter Judy , his boy Elroy !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem you’re ignoring when it comes to the Cubs in their operating income is being used to finance the purchase of the team.  I’ll keep saying, but until they get that new TV deal money in place, they will likely remain somewhat frugal.  

This.  They aren't making nearly as much money as it looks like on paper.  This has been pretty well documented in the past if people want to look it up.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't think regular links imbed, but if copy the link to a tweet with the story in it, all you do is copy and paste it to Soxtalk, and wait a couple of seconds.  You will see it create the imbedding after a few seconds, then click add reply.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think regular links imbed, but if copy the link to a tweet with the story in it, all you do is copy and paste it to Soxtalk, and wait a couple of seconds.  You will see it create the imbedding after a few seconds, then click add reply.

Not always true. If you use twitter and click "copy link", often when you paste it in a pop-up will appear saying "paste as plain text instead"? Click that and then the embed works. Otherwise the formatting brought in from twitter interrupts the embed.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Without doing any research why aren't the Giants in on Harper?

My guess, they just hired a new GM who seems pretty smart and knows their team is on the decline and doesn't make sense to put a long term contract on the books until they figure out where to proceed.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Not always true. If you use twitter and click "copy link", often when you paste it in a pop-up will appear saying "paste as plain text instead"? Click that and then the embed works. Otherwise the formatting brought in from twitter interrupts the embed.

Twitter and facebook links work for me every time.  Odd.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Without doing any research why aren't the Giants in on Harper?

They brought that up on MLB network last night.  Between Belt, Crawford, Cueto, Longoria, there's so much dead money I dunno if it'd make sense.

16 minutes ago, username said:

IF we miss out on Harper...taking on Heyward's contract to lift Contreras from the Cubs could be an interesting route.  They're supposedly pursuing Realmuto and Contreras would be an awesome controllable piece to add.

They need to move Contreras and the others to get the minor league talent to get Realmuto.....moving Contreras to get Realmuto sends up a red flag on Contrearas to me as I cannot figure out why they want to move him so bad.  

Contreras can hit but he is very bad defensively. Bp had him the second worst framer in the majors last year at minus 15 runs.  That is basically 1.5 wins  lost from his framing. Throwing is solid but this is hurting the pitchers quite a bit.

12 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Contreras can hit but he is very bad defensively. Bp had him the second worst framer in the majors last year at minus 15 runs.  That is basically 1.5 wins  lost from his framing. Throwing is solid but this is hurting the pitchers quite a bit.

Is he bad defensively or bad at framing? Isn't his arm very good?

31 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Contreras can hit

Not the 2nd half of last season.  Brutal!