Tony

Bryce Harper Updates

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Obviously Bryce is signing no longer than a 3 year deal so he and Bryant can both sign with the Vegas Devil Rays before the inaugural 2022 season 

I’ll be honest, adding Harper doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Cubs or Yankees.  Part of the reason Harper will get paid around a $40M AAV is his star presence and what he brings from a marketing perspective.  For teams like us or the Phillies, that’s a small price to see a huge bump in fan interest.  The Yankees & Cubs would paying primarily for his production.  And while he’s more than capable of putting up elite seasons, he’s also be a bit inconsistent.  Seems to me that Machado at a $35M AAV is the better, safer investment for both clubs.  Although to be clear, I see zero possibly of the Cubs adding either guy this offseason. 

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, adding Harper doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Cubs or Yankees.  Part of the reason Harper will get paid around a $40M AAV is his star presence and what he brings from a marketing perspective.  For teams like us or the Phillies, that’s a small price to see a huge bump in fan interest.  The Yankees & Cubs would paying primarily for his production.  And while he’s more than capable of putting up elite seasons, he’s also be a bit inconsistent.  Seems to me that Machado at a $35M AAV is the better, safer investment for both clubs.  Although to be clear, I see zero possibly of the Cubs adding either guy this offseason. 

I believe that Harper has a much bigger impact on a team like the Sox vs. a team like the Yankees or Cubs.  You're right about his production being the primary driver for all potential suitors, but he would be a bigger star for the Sox because he would BE the White Sox.

29 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I believe that Harper has a much bigger impact on a team like the Sox vs. a team like the Yankees or Cubs.  You're right about his production being the primary driver for all potential suitors, but he would be a bigger star for the Sox because he would BE the White Sox.

Unless Eloy explodes next year..................... Nice problem to have 

14 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Unless Eloy explodes next year..................... Nice problem to have 

Nope. Bryce is still the man and mlb brightest star. Elroy will get love but not that soon. 

22 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Nope. Bryce is still the man and mlb brightest star. Elroy will get love but not that soon. 

If Elroy is out of this world tho

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

If Elroy is out of this world tho

I hear his sister Judy is far superior.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

Cubs and Yankees are tied up in to much money.

So if the Cubs and Yankees can't make it work financially, and Harper doesn't like Philadelphia, then who is our biggest competition to land Harper?

9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

So if the Cubs and Yankees can't make it work financially, and Harper doesn't like Philadelphia, then who is our biggest competition to land Harper?

The Cubs can find a way to make things work if they really wanted to. I think Harper would really want to play for them. Boras may also wait to see if the Cubs can get some money together. 

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

I can see the Cubs unloading a contract during the winter meetings.. no idea who but its possible. 

It would seem obvious that Theo's goal would be to unload the Heyward contract. That would both clear a major financial commitment and RF, both for Harper. Good luck with that, Mr. Epstein.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

The Cubs can find a way to make things work if they really wanted to. I think Harper would really want to play for them. Boras may also wait to see if the Cubs can get some money together. 

Again, how though?

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, how though?

Theo will wave his magic wand and poof! done!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, how though?

If Harper tells the Phillies he's not going there if the Cubs and others offer 400 million, I can see the Phil's being disparate enough to take Heyward. I can also see a team like the Reds who want pitching badly being disparate enough to take Darvish. Wilson Contreras also has trade value. 

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Boras does not care which team gives Bryce top dollar. He won't hold out for the Cubs if there's a team offering him $35 to $40m/year.

Edited by Sockin