Tony

Manny Machado Updates

Just because there's seemingly much more smoke around Harper doesn't mean the Sox aren't pursuing Manny.  I would expect they are going hard after both in hopes of landing one.  It will be interesting to see if any info comes out during the meetings.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Machado spotted at a Florida Panthers game with A Rod and Rhys Hoskins. What does it all mean?!?!?!?!?

Where is the proof

10 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

Where is the proof

My sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend knows the head suite sales manager for the Panthers who saw a picture on a server's Facebook page.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

My sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend knows the head suite sales manager for the Panthers who saw a picture on a server's Facebook page.

I can confirm this report. 

Any updates here? There hasn't been much in the way of updates on Machado at all, which is surprising considering the caliber of player.

52 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Ok, who thought a Harper thread would outweigh a Machado thread by far?

I'd wager that it has to do with all the Harper tidbits that keep coming out from several sources, whereas Machado has had a relatively quiet (comparing the two only) news cycle up to this point. 

I think I'd rather have Machado than Harper, in all honesty.

Harper's higher fWAR season were accompanied by very high BaBIP numbers. Harper also is either a mediocre LF going forward, or a 1B. I also think there's a non-zero chance that Harper's best season might have already occurred, owing to the BaBIP luck he's had.

Machado can theoretically play either 3B or SS to a middling degree. He also hasn't been as BaBIP-dependent to achieve results at the plate as Harper seems to have been. At the same time, this org seems to have some OF prospects, but beyond Madrigal, you have to squint to envision Sosa or Curbelo or Burger being top contributors at the MLB level.

That said, I'll be elated with either player signing here, I'd just prefer Machado over Harper.

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

Machado puts up a higher total WAR than Harper over the course of next 8 years.

I think there's a better chance of this occurring than most would admit.

I think Harper might have been carried to his MVP on the back of a .369 BaBIP, and that he's unlikely to repeat that.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11579&position=OF

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think there's a better chance of this occurring than most would admit.

I think Harper might have been carried to his MVP on the back of a .369 BaBIP, and that he's unlikely to repeat that.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11579&position=OF

Just based on positional value, as Manny will either be at SS or 3B.  One of the biggest pluses of getting Machado would also be allowing Yoan to stay at 2nd, where his offense plays up more.

Just now, fathom said:

Just based on positional value, as Manny will either be at SS or 3B.  One of the biggest pluses of getting Machado would also be allowing Yoan to stay at 2nd, where his offense plays up more.

Agreed.

I think that Machado would be the better fit for the SOX, full stop.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t even care. 

I want Bryce on the White Sox for many reasons other than on the field play.

30 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Agreed.

I think that Machado would be the better fit for the SOX, full stop.

Not in Ricky's clubhouse with his non hustle attitude. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Machado puts up a higher total WAR than Harper over the course of next 8 years.

Of course he will. The Harper over Machado crowd will even acknowledge that, which is why it boggles my mind that anyone wouldn't be after Machado first.

8 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Of course he will. The Harper over Machado crowd will even acknowledge that, which is why it boggles my mind that anyone wouldn't be after Machado first.

And significantly fewer suitors it would seem

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not in Ricky's clubhouse with his non hustle attitude. 

That whole non-hustle issue is way overblown.  He plays hard.  I don't like it when he steps on the first baseman's foot, but he usually runs hard.