In 2020...Five sox hitters combine for 500 walks

michelangelosmonkey

In the last ten years the White Sox have had exactly one hitter with 100 walks in a season...Adam Dunn did it once.  Last year the Sox were second worst in MLB in walks.  The year before they were third worst.  I think walks are an essential skill not only in getting batters on base but also wearing down a pitcher.   Its been painful watching their lack of understanding of the strike zone recently..   But is it possible that great days are ahead?  In 2020, after we sign Bryce Harper...and Moncada improves...and Robert, Collins and Basabe come up that those five could walk 500 times?  OK no White Sox team ever did this...1996 team had five with about 450.  Red Sox team in 1949 had five with 525.   But it doesn't seem impossible...Harper with 120, Collins 120, Moncado with 95, Robert with 90 and Basabe with 75?  We could be building an elite offense.  Fun to dream about...all those batters on base and Jimimez and Abreau bringing them home Come om Sox...sign Harper! 

Collins will not hit 120 walks unless his contact improves enough to make his power play, causing pitchers to challenge him less a la Harper (Even if his eye is somehow better).

Anyway high end numbers always unlikely. Would settle for 5 hitters with 60+.

Robert walked 80 times in 600 at bats for the Cuban team and in his brief non-injured time in the minors was on pace for roughly the same.   It is one of his skill sets.   Collins as a hitter looks like Dunn to me...low batting average, great eye, big power.  Dunn had 100+ walks many times in his career.   To me the most unlikely is Basabe.  It is less rare to have a team with 4 for 400...it's that fifth guy.  Still its not CRAZY talk.   And if you have an offense with 5 guys with 500 AND Madrigal who I think looks like he could be the new Rod Carew?  That's a lot of base runners for for your power guys.  

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Collins as a hitter looks like Dunn to me...low batting average, great eye, big power.  Dunn had 100+ walks many times in his career. 

Adam Dunn also had enormous power and a bit more overall contact which @bmags pointed out. Unless Collins is hitting 35-40+ bombs like 2004-2012 Dunn did (along with contact), then sure. But he is most likely going to walk 65-75 times which is what 2013-2014 Dunn did with about 20-25 bombs and about the same amount of contact, barring him improving on that of course.

Edited by SoxAce

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Robert walked 80 times in 600 at bats for the Cuban team and in his brief non-injured time in the minors was on pace for roughly the same.   It is one of his skill sets.   Collins as a hitter looks like Dunn to me...low batting average, great eye, big power.  Dunn had 100+ walks many times in his career.   To me the most unlikely is Basabe.  It is less rare to have a team with 4 for 400...it's that fifth guy.  Still its not CRAZY talk.   And if you have an offense with 5 guys with 500 AND Madrigal who I think looks like he could be the new Rod Carew?  That's a lot of base runners for for your power guys.  

Cuban walk rates rarely translate. Yuli gurriel walked a lot in Cuba.

Robert walked 8% in A and 6% in A+ last year in admittedly a small sample. I don't think he will walk much.

Now Collins does have an elite eye, longenhagen said best eye in the minors.

I disagree that he won't walk in the majors, Santana doesn't have huge power (like 25 bombs per year) and he walks a ton. You need some power to walk but if Collins makes the majors he is going to have 25-30 hr power at least.

If Collins doesn't make it it is because he doesn't hit.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

12 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Cuban walk rates rarely translate. Yuli gurriel walked a lot in Cuba.

Robert walked 8% in A and 6% in A+ last year in admittedly a small sample. I don't think he will walk much.

Now Collins does have an elite eye, longenhagen said best eye in the minors.

I disagree that he won't walk in the majors, Santana doesn't have huge power (like 25 bombs per year) and he walks a ton. You need some power to walk but if Collins makes the majors he is going to have 25-30 hr power at least.

If Collins doesn't make it it is because he doesn't hit.

It's way early to tell on Robert...it just seems like his walk rate was double Moncada's at same ages in the Cuban league.   By most accounts having a good batting eye is one of his skills.  Also if he hits for power like the reports say his walks will rise as pitches are more cautious with him.    In any event...if the true number for the top 4 is 380?   The larger point is we have a bunch of OBP guys coming to team with a bunch of power guys.  If they land Harper the upside for the offense is great.