Details on Padres medical scandal

southsider2k5

There is a pretty clear chance that we got screwed in the same way on the James Shields deal

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article222332785.html

He said to both Le Batard and me that the San Diego Padres kept two medical files on players — a legitimate one and a fake one.

“It’s not an allegation; it’s a fact,” Samson said.

Padres spokesman Craig Hughner, issued this response Wednesday evening: “The comments made this morning by a former club official were inaccurate and wholly inappropriate. Over two years ago, a situation unrelated to the Marlins was settled and discipline was issued following a thorough investigation by MLB. We have moved on fully in accordance with the guidelines, and we have no desire to respond further.”

The Marlins acquired Colin Rea in a multi-player trade with the Padres in the summer of 2016 but returned him to San Diego and restructured the trade after he sustained an elbow injury in his first start. The Padres hadn’t disclosed key medical information about his elbow.

“The Padres lied,” Samson said. “They had an entire medical file on a player and didn’t disclose it. Two sets of medical records is what they had. [Padres general manager] A.J. Preller shouldn’t be allowed in the game. It’s beyond comprehension that he’s still working. They did it to the Red Sox. There are a lot of things you mess with, but you don’t mess with that.”

Major League Baseball suspended Preller late in 2016 for his failure to disclose medical information in a trade with the Padres but he didn’t receive additional discipline for the Marlins trade.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with Samson and think it is ludicrous AJ Preller is still a GM. I would also figure that had a real and fake file on Shields. But Shields came and pitched, so he wasn’t injured too badly if he was injured. I think the Sox still would have made the deal had they had the real records.  Remember TAtis had not played a game yet, and he was a mid tier signee.

1 hour ago, Baker said:

I don’t think Shields was injured, but Preller did manufacture fake discord with Shields as a pretext to getting rid of him. Preller should be banned from baseball. 

Preller manufactured that discord? The Padres owner publicly called Shields out as being unprepared and unprofessional after his last start with the Padres where he blew up for like 10 runs or something along those lines. 

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Even if Shields was perfectly healthy at time of trade, which he wasn't, it was still an incredibly stupid trade.  Hahn got off easier than Preller.

The second I started hearing rumors about a Shields trade, I first thought it was a BS joke my cubs fans buddies were pulling.

The second it happened was when I wanted every last one of those dumb fuckers fired. Some ~6 weeks later, Hahn had his "Mired in mediocrity" presser, and the man's been teflon, as is every other reinsdorf FO employee.

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Preller manufactured that discord? The Padres owner publicly called Shields out as being unprepared and unprofessional after his last start with the Padres where he blew up for like 10 runs or something along those lines. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I had thought Preller orchestrated the whole thing. 

59 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Called him out and probably told Preller to trade him to the White Sox, the only team stupid enough to take him.  Then Hahn complied and threw in Tatis.

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Called him out and probably told Preller to trade him to the White Sox, the only team stupid enough to take him.  Then Hahn complied and threw in Tatis.

Well it was said that the Tigers were also somewhat interested, but either way that was desperation by both teams.

2 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Tatis was just bad luck. He wasn't seen as a top30 international free agent of his class and hadn't played a game yet. Nobody could have seen him developing like that. Blaming Hahn for that trade is stupid.

I don’t blame him for Tatis, I blame him for wanting Shields.

2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Tatis was just bad luck. He wasn't seen as a top30 international free agent of his class and hadn't played a game yet. Nobody could have seen him developing like that. Blaming Hahn for that trade is stupid.

Blaming him for throwing in a player that no one in this org had seen because he was desperate to save his competitive 2016 roster and he'd traded away anything else in the org of value already is fair game. 

Shields was in the midst of a downward trend in his velocity and it woudln't surprise me at all if they withheld information about him dealing with soreness, dead arm, etc. even if it never really developed into a full-blown injury.