Winter Meetings Predictions

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Even if I bought a Yankee stadium excuse (which I don't ) that's still a bad trade.

Stephens is one of our better pitching prospects (I know the cw is that this org is replete with pitching, but it isn't).  Yolmer is a very viable utility player.
Sox are in no position to trade any talent for 1 year players.  

I wouldn't wanna trade Yolmer, but Stephens hasn't shown to be much.  25, had trouble at Charlotte.  Wouldn't say he's a top pitching prospect, not in our system, not in general.

5 minutes ago, frogsplash31 said:

I feel like these meetings are going to go like the time my wife went to Best Buy with 900 dollars to get a tv. She came home with two blue ray DVD players, an ipod, and the boxed set of Will and Grace and King of Queens instead. 

Why did you send your wife to get a TV lol. 

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

Wonder if Cardinals would package Gorman if we pay full freight for Fowler. Fowler needs out of St. Louis and despite a horrible year (negative WAR) could be a serviceable place holder at any OF position. Maybe Carson Fulmer goes their way. 

Do you like Gorman better than Bryce Bush?  Fowler is owed around $50 million.  Geez, what a bad contract.

5 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Do you like Gorman better than Bryce Bush?  Fowler is owed around $50 million.  Geez, what a bad contract.

I would tend to favor Gorman due to his power and LH bat but agree Bush has been very impressive thus far.  Sox sprang over $50M to acquire Robert and I tend to believe Fowler can bounce back. Plus he's a switch hitter who can leadoff if he gets his mojo back.

Why not go crazy? Not like I'm going to be right anyway, so here goes:

Sign Bryce Harper and Manny Machado to identical 10 year $370 million deals.

Sign Michael Brantley for 2 years/$30 million

Sign Gio Gonzalez for 2 years/$25 million

Sign Drew Pomeranz for 1 year/$10 million

Sign Cody Allen for 2 years/$20 million

Sign Zach Britton for 2 years/$20 million

Trade Jordan Stephens, Jordan Guerrero, and Yolmer Sanchez to Mariners for Mallex Smith and Carlos Santana

Trade Jose Abreu to Dodgers for Will Smith

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Why not go crazy? Not like I'm going to be right anyway, so here goes:

Sign Bryce Harper and Manny Machado to identical 10 year $370 million deals.

Sign Michael Brantley for 2 years/$30 million

Sign Gio Gonzalez for 2 years/$25 million

Sign Drew Pomeranz for 1 year/$10 million

Sign Cody Allen for 2 years/$20 million

Sign Zach Britton for 2 years/$20 million

Trade Jordan Stephens, Jordan Guerrero, and Yolmer Sanchez to Mariners for Mallex Smith and Carlos Santana

Trade Jose Abreu to Dodgers for Will Smith

Ban bet?

Loving the ideas an optimism on all of this. My one question in all of this is who leads off in 19’  ?

if we get Harper I have no idea, if we get Machado I’d want either Pollock (if cost is right re injuries) or McCutchen for his OBP. Obviously can’t have an outfield of Cutch, Harper and Eloy, watching that would be painful. 

Id not hate Yoan having another shot but id like him to bat lower and just concentrate on learning with a little less pressure.

Edited by Colinski

1 hour ago, Colinski said:

Loving the ideas an optimism on all of this. My one question in all of this is who leads off in 19’  ?

if we get Harper I have no idea, if we get Machado I’d want either Pollock (if cost is right re injuries) or McCutchen for his OBP. Obviously can’t have an outfield of Cutch, Harper and Eloy, watching that would be painful. 

Id not hate Yoan having another shot but id like him to bat lower and just concentrate on learning with a little less pressure.

I think you start the season with Yoan in the leadoff spot and adjust accordingly.  I do hope if we add Harper, we turn around and add Murphy or Dozier on a one year deal (with Moncada moving to 3B).  While neither of those guys are ideal leadoff hitters per se, they at least are typically high OBP types which is something our roster is lacking.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you start the season with Yoan in the leadoff spot and adjust accordingly.  I do hope if we add Harper, we turn around and add Murphy or Dozier on a one year deal (with Moncada moving to 3B).  While neither of those guys are ideal leadoff hitters per se, they at least are typically high OBP types which is something our roster is lacking.

I wouldn't be against signing Murphy short term to DH or play 1B if Abreu was traded. Not to move Moncada off 2B, though.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I wouldn't be against signing Murphy short term to DH or play 1B if Abreu was traded. Not to move Moncada off 2B, though.

What do the Sox get in signing guys like Dozier or Murphy? Do they help us win 70 games in 2019 instead of 65? If those are options for losing Abreu then no thanks to trading him. It really is time to start thinking bigger than guys like Dozier or Murphy if we’re going to take the next step and get out of this rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

What do the Sox get in signing guys like Dozier or Murphy? Do they help us win 70 games in 2019 instead of 65? If those are options for losing Abreu then no thanks to trading him. It really is time to start thinking bigger than guys like Dozier or Murphy if we’re going to take the next step and get out of this rebuild. 

I'm not saying that's the only move you do, I'm saying it's a move that would potentially help in conjunction with other moves.

Winter meetings PSA:

1) Check your twitter sources to make sure you don't get duped by a fake account

2) If posting something plausible from a rando twitter, add a qualifier such as "TIFWIW" or Take it with a massive grain of salt" 

3) Don't give me any horseshit. If it looks ridiculous, don't post it. If a posted trade from a rando looks massively one-sided, use your brain. Most of you have an idea of a fair value trade that would actually happen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

I'm not saying that's the only move you do, I'm saying it's a move that would potentially help in conjunction with other moves.

At this time those 2 would be dead money to JR. Look at the 2 teams that traded for them this year. The Cubs and Dodgers. Both playoff teams in need of a veteran with experience to help them down the stretch. These type of players you trade for at the trade deadline in 2020 at the earliest. 

18 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

A high upside, rebound candidate that makes us better in 2019 and serves as a bridge to Madrigal.  Dozier & Murphy are both coming off rough seasons, but were 5+ WAR players in 2016 & 2017.  Those are exactly the type of guys we should take a chance on because they can actually become valuable flip guys.

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Winter meetings PSA:

1) Check your twitter sources to make sure you don't get duped by a fake account

2) If posting something plausible from a rando twitter, add a qualifier such as "TIFWIW" or Take it with a massive grain of salt" 

3) Don't give me any horseshit. If it looks ridiculous, don't post it. If a posted trade from a rando looks massively one-sided, use your brain. Most of you have an idea of a fair value trade that would actually happen. 

4) step out of this thread if you require all of the above