Update per Heyman: White Sox one of 3 teams meeting Machado

DirtySox

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

While I would not kick Bryce out of bed, Manny is so much better of a fit.

I honestly can't explain it, but I know Manny is significantly better in terms of overall and consistent results, I know his defense is way better and at a position where there is much less hope of an in-house savior any time soon, and I've spent maybe ten days in Chicago in the last twenty years so I could care less whether they're the Chicago White Sox or the Ulaan Baataar White Sox, and yet...I want Harper so much more.

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I honestly can't explain it, but I know Manny is significantly better in terms of overall and consistent results, I know his defense is way better and at a position where there is much less hope of an in-house savior any time soon, and I've spent maybe ten days in Chicago in the last twenty years so I could care less whether they're the Chicago White Sox or the Ulaan Baataar White Sox, and yet...I want Harper so much more.

Harper is a star and a leader and Machado is just very good at baseball with questionable makeup.

4 minutes ago, The Sir said:

For me it's simply I'm a much bigger believer in Harpers bat and I'd rather buy a bat long-term than defense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't know that that is unequivocally true.  

I don’t know how it couldn’t be. Manny is a well rounded player. Harper is not. Harper May have more offensive upside,  but it’s also likely he’ll be a 1B or DH in half a decade, and the OF D in between isn’t going to be good. 

Harper could flip a switch and be the best hitter in the league the next 5 seasons, but he certainly hasn’t been that the last three seasons. 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Michael Kay was just on YES Network saying Yanks want to get Manny on shorter deal (5 years), but he threw out idea of 5/200 as something that might be interested in.

I think itd need to be at least $230M over 5 years then an opt out for MM to bite. Maybe $190M over the following 5 years post opt out. 10 year $320M, opt out after 5. 

I see that as pretty much the cheapest these two would go for. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t know how it couldn’t be. Manny is a well rounded player. Harper is not. Harper May have more offensive upside,  but it’s also likely he’ll be a 1B or DH in half a decade, and the OF D in between isn’t going to be good. 

Harper could flip a switch and be the best hitter in the league the next 5 seasons, but he certainly hasn’t been that the last three seasons. 

I think itd need to be at least $230M over 5 years then an opt out for MM to bite. Maybe $190M over the following 5 years post opt out. 10 year $320M, opt out after 5. 

I see that as pretty much the cheapest these two would go for. 

There can be reasonable arguments made on both sides.  For example, look a their ceilings.  So far, Harper's best season was 3 WAR better than Machado's best season (they both happened in 2015). 

While Manny's defense gives him a higher floor, Harper's bat gives him more of a ceiling.  And if Manny is insisting in playing SS, that really hinders his defensive value.

There are cases to be made on both sides.  Personally I agree with what Bmags said earlier, and would prefer not to pay just on defense. 

15 hours ago, turnin' two said:

There can be reasonable arguments made on both sides.  For example, look a their ceilings.  So far, Harper's best season was 3 WAR better than Machado's best season (they both happened in 2015). 

While Manny's defense gives him a higher floor, Harper's bat gives him more of a ceiling.  And if Manny is insisting in playing SS, that really hinders his defensive value.

There are cases to be made on both sides.  Personally I agree with what Bmags said earlier, and would prefer not to pay just on defense. 

One outlier season vs. consistent production. I'll take the consistent production every time if I'm betting this much money on it.

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still think Machado is a better fit for this team than Harper, but fuck it, I want both. 

I agree...but unfortunately I think we get neither.  If I was betting I'd say Harper to the Dodgers.  Machado to Philly.  I'll GLADY take being wrong!