Update per Heyman: White Sox one of 3 teams meeting Machado

DirtySox

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue isn't 2019-2023. The issue is can they afford that from 2023-2029 when their young prospects start to hit arbitration years. If they prospects produce to make them competitive, they will be getting expensive starting in 2023.

You cross that bridge when you get there and honestly hope it’s an issue. These types of things usually play out and end up being pretty simple decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Jason Heyward was far less consistent than Machado and never produced a 6 WAR season (Machado has 3 6 WAR seasons in his last 4). If anything, he's defense based Harper-lite.

I have to disagree here.  Obviously you are looking at fangraphs, according to bbref, he has 2 seasons over 6, and another that was 5.8, all in 6 seasons before signing with the cubs.  Putting up a 6 WAR season 50% of the time seems pretty consistent.  Especially when you consider that his lower seasons, he had fewer ABs because of injuries.

This right here highlights another problem with using WAR as a sole evaluation tool.  The ways that defense are measured are flawed.  There is no way around it.  They are flawed.

Finally, I have no idea what you are trying to say in that Heyward is a defense based Harper-lite.  That doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me. 

Edited by turnin' two

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue isn't 2019-2023. The issue is can they afford that from 2023-2029 when their young prospects start to hit arbitration years. If they prospects produce to make them competitive, they will be getting expensive starting in 2023.

If the Sox land Machado/Harper, I am pretty convinced that both of those guys will be FAs again in 3-5 years.  Hopefully 5, but an opt out after 3 may be necessary. Having too many many good players is a good thing, anyway.  I am not worried about.  Only way this goes bad is if Harper and MM both sign with the Sox, both completely fall off a cliff, and never opt out.  But I think we'll see a heavily frontloaded contract no matter where they sign that gives the player some long-term security in case of disaster, but also keeps the player motivated to get another quarter-billion dollar or more deal again in their early 30s.  That is important for both sides.  

1 minute ago, timbo8 said:

Is it true that he only wants to play ss

Nobody knows. Many of us make a not-unreasonable guess that he moved to SS  last year to help make himself more flexible in free agency, so that teams who needed a SS could go for him as well.  There are some whispers that go the other way,  that for some reason he does really want to play that position. If that were true, there's a good chance it will cost him money. But really, until he signs with someone, we're not gonna know.

FWIW, a former coach of Machado, Bobby Dickerson, "believes Machado would move to third base if an offer to do so was the clear best offer he received in free agency."

It was mentioned here with an article:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/manny-machado-rumors-visit-phillies-yankees-bryce-harper-white-sox.html

I would think that if Machado wants the most money and the team that offers him the most money wants him to play 3B, that is the team he will pick.

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

FWIW, a former coach of Machado, Bobby Dickerson, "believes Machado would move to third base if an offer to do so was the clear best offer he received in free agency."

It was mentioned here with an article:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/manny-machado-rumors-visit-phillies-yankees-bryce-harper-white-sox.html

I would think that if Machado wants the most money and the team that offers him the most money wants him to play 3B, that is the team he will pick.

As I've said all along, MM is going to whom pays him the most.  I do think there is some risk there though if mentally he is married to SS.  He's the type that might let something like that bug him, but thats up to the team that is signing him making sure he is fully on board for playing 3B and buying into that.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

You cross that bridge when you get there and honestly hope it’s an issue. These types of things usually play out and end up being pretty simple decisions.

I'm not saying you don't do it. I fact I'm I  favor of it. It os just a concern when negotiating the contracts with opt outs and options and such. You have to expect decline toward the end of 10 year deals  although these 2 will be going enough that it shouldn't be as debilitating as some long term deals.

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Nobody knows. Many of us make a not-unreasonable guess that he moved to SS  last year to help make himself more flexible in free agency, so that teams who needed a SS could go for him as well.  There are some whispers that go the other way,  that for some reason he does really want to play that position. If that were true, there's a good chance it will cost him money. But really, until he signs with someone, we're not gonna know.

There have been quotes that he prefers to stay at SS. How strong that preference is, will be the question.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

As I've said all along, MM is going to whom pays him the most.  I do think there is some risk there though if mentally he is married to SS.  He's the type that might let something like that bug him, but thats up to the team that is signing him making sure he is fully on board for playing 3B and buying into that.

The only exception would be the Yankees.  He has always said, he would like to play there. The question is how much of a discount does that equate to

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The only exception would be the Yankees.  He has always said, he would like to play there. The question is how much of a discount does that equate to

Well  "Are you really stupid enough to give the Yankees a discount" is a pretty decent question also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1