Update per Heyman: White Sox one of 3 teams meeting Machado

DirtySox

4 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

Madrigal, Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe, Gonzalez, Walker, Burger, Sheets and our 3rd overall pick in 2019 still in the minors. 

I wish more people would put to the side their personal feelings on the FO, Harper, and Machado, and see how huge getting the both of them would be. Instant foundation. Paying $65-$70 mil annually for 2 players will not financially hurt us with the cost control options we’ll have at other positions. If needed, I’m sure a few of these options will be traded for upgrades to fill roster spots. 

I agree, tho it would likely be $90-100M per year, not $65-$70M.

11 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree, tho it would likely be $90-100M per year, not $65-$70M.

90-100M ? I don't even like speculating they could sign both. It seems almost impossible but for arguments sake lets say both get 10 yrs. $400M for Harper and $350M for Machado .That would be $75M /year. Unless contracts are front loaded the first 3 years or so might be in your range but less than $75M/ yr after that if they don't opt out.

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

90-100M ? I don't even like speculating they could sign both. It seems almost impossible but for arguments sake lets say both get 10 yrs. $400M for Harper and $350M for Machado .That would be $75M /year. Unless contracts are front loaded the first 3 years or so might be in your range but less than $75M/ yr after that if they don't opt out.

We could sign both if we were prepared to become a luxury tax team, which seems completely unrealistic.  I see us eventually being around a $150M payroll and that simply can’t support both of these guys.

1 minute ago, Quinarvy said:

Let's say Sox get deep in negotiations with both and they both want to sign - do you commit the money?

If we had drafted both of them and re-signed both of them, I would be pretty happy. It does make creating a pitching staff a bit more difficult.

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We could sign both if we were prepared to become a luxury tax team, which seems completely unrealistic.  I see us eventually being around a $150M payroll and that simply can’t support both of these guys.

I haven't given it enough thought either way because it's probably a Candy Land idea anyways, but it would be interesting if we signed both to how it affects the team now and going forward. If we did this route it would be almost akin to the Cubs where we place a premium on bats since they play everyday. In theory builds a consistent team. Also it's not terrible depending on how you view our pitching prospects.

Some assumptions: Abreu loves the direction of the team - resigns to be your 1b/DH for a reduced rate of $10-12mm a year for 3 more years after this. Your lineup around the diamond (assume 2020) Collins, Abreu, Madrigal, Anderson, Machado, Harper, Robert, Eloy. Moncada at DH -- but really, you'd just put whoever at DH -- could almost be anybody. Regardless -- we get it.... effing scary lineup and probably could compete for a WS every year on that alone.

That being said, you couldn't sign a pitcher really... so you're relying on Rodon to be an Ace. Kopech to be your #2 and that he'd mature quickly enough to be a real threat in the postseason.  that Giolito can be a serviceable 4/5, Lopez to be a 3/4, that Hansen maybe regains form and can slot in. Cease matures quickly and can be a #3. That maybe you draft a pitcher this upcoming year. You could then dangle your minors depth -- the adolfos, rutherfords, etc. etc. and hopefully get a pitcher midseason for WS runs.

It's a risky proposition.. it's one where you're going ALL OUT during the next 5-6 years to win a world series... if it doesn't work youre saddled with expensive aging contracts and stuck in purgatory for another 5-10 years again as you pay Machado and Harper 40mm a year at ages 32-38. It almost feels like the Tigers now that I type it.... you go all out with your Victor Martinez, Miggy, Kinsler/Fielder, JD Martinez, etc etc. They continued to develop their young pitchers in Price, Scherzer, Verlander, Porcello, etc. and hoped that young stud pitching + great offense and spending would result in a WS title. Now they're stuck in that purgatory area.

Summary: after typing out this scenario ---- screw it! I'd do it. That'd be a fun 5-7 years on the Southside. The chances of the Sox working this out perfectly where we become the STL Cards and perfectly manage young talent and smart FA signings on a somewhat smaller budget than the big dogs is slim to none. So why not go all out and have fun for once?

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

Great tweet by Jon, Manny's camp can't be too happy about this one 

I talk crap about Heyman a lot. His greatest asset (daily roundups) are also his biggest fault because I think it only gives him enough time for surface level insight.

But this was him going out to answer a question (who are the mystery teams) and I really appreciate that.

Just now, bmags said:

I talk crap about Heyman a lot. His greatest asset (daily roundups) are also his biggest fault because I think it only gives him enough time for surface level insight.

But this was him going out to answer a question (who are the mystery teams) and I really appreciate that.

Agreed, kind of a blunt answer and nice to see at least Jon not beat around the bush about these "mystery" teams.

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was simply responding to the poster that said you could get Harper and Machado for $65-70M per season.  It'd be more like $90-$100M pre opt outs.  Not speculating that it could or will happen. 

Here's a problem with one team trying to sign both of them: How do you satisfy both of these enormous egos? Each will want the biggest contract. If it's two different teams, it's a little easier because you aren't responsible for the contract of the player, whom you are not signing. However, with the same team, you could see these guys wanting the "top billing". It's an old dilemma in show business.