Harold Baines HOFer

Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Rick Morrissey has a great story on Harold's speech today at the Sun-Times web site. It sounds from reading the story like it was one of the most moving speeches of the day.

Congrats to HB.

It was ok. The WGN special on Saturday was better than the speech. Garfien’s was a whiff.

Lee Smith actually had a good speech. 

Mussina’s would have been good if he had the ability to emote when he speaks. 

1 hour ago, zisk said:

I love Harold Baines. He is not a HOF player. If he didn't wreck his knee, maybe. When he was mobile, he could really play RF

like nobody's business.

Harold Baines is a hall of fame player; glad he got in.

• Like 3

I know a lot of fans want a Hall of Great Stats and anything that can't be measured and ranked doesn't matter. I believe it is a Hall of Fame and a person's overall contribution to the game of baseball should be taken into account. 

Baines is a credit to the game of baseball. He played with all the great qualities you want in a player. He never disrespected the game by cheating, doing drugs, didn't gamble on baseball, he was a player that truly was a great role model on and off the field.

The HoF would be an even bigger farce if they didn't recognize who builds the game up. I believe the Hall is a better place with him enshrined. Parents won't have to shield their children's eyes from the reality of the man when they visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I know a lot of fans want a Hall of Great Stats and anything that can't be measured and ranked doesn't matter. I believe it is a Hall of Fame and a person's overall contribution to the game of baseball should be taken into account. 

Baines is a credit to the game of baseball. He played with all the great qualities you want in a player. He never disrespected the game by cheating, doing drugs, didn't gamble on baseball, he was a player that truly was a great role model on and off the field.

The HoF would be an even bigger farce if they didn't recognize who builds the game up. I believe the Hall is a better place with him enshrined. Parents won't have to shield their children's eyes from the reality of the man when they visit.

This is the post of the year. Save it. Frame it. Harold Baines I salute you.

The other thing to remember with Baines is that he missed portions of three seasons to strikes, 1981 and 1994-95.

Plug that playing time back in and he's over 3000 hits and right at 400 homers.

How many more hits and home runs would Baines likely have logged? Using simple "on pace" calculations:

1981: 40 hits, 5 HR
1994: 51 hits, 7 HR
1995: 14 hits, 3 HR

That'd bring Baines to 2,971 hits and 399 home runs. He'd get my vote either way, but his odds would probably be considerably better with those numbers literally scratching at Cooperstown's door.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You must have the right numbers to get in = Votes. There is no one criteria but he was one of the most respected players in the game during his era unlike the guy he was traded for. Next name up should be Dick Allen. 

14 hours ago, Texsox said:

I get where you're coming from, but like...Aaron Rowand would be a hall of famer by these standards. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mqr said:

I get where you're coming from, but like...Aaron Rowand would be a hall of famer by these standards. 

There are big differences at play here.

Even his worse critics admit Harold has borderline stats for HoF. My point is borderline stats  with top 1% type character deserves being honored by MLB. 

Even Aaron's biggest fans wouldn't claim he has borderline stats. 

• Thanks 1

I heard his speech during the radio post game show while driving yesterday.  Was it a great speech?  Probably not because Harold is not a gifted speaker  But it was incredibly sincere, emotional and heart warming.  I am glad that I heard it.  Harold Baines is a credit to baseball and an absolute gift to White Sox fans everyone.  Congratulations Harold!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pcq said:

You must have the right numbers to get in = Votes. There is no one criteria but he was one of the most respected players in the game during his era unlike the guy he was traded for. Next name up should be Dick Allen. 

I could go with Dick or Billy Pierce, Minnie Minoso and then Tommy John and Jim Katt.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I could go with Dick or Billy Pierce, Minnie Minoso and then Tommy John and Jim Katt.

Minoso is one of the biggest omissions, in my opinion. 

Jim Kaat should be in too. He’d have an AL Cy if they gave out more than one in 1965. 

Tommy John also would have got to 300 without being on some bad teams- Sox included. Plus the surgery- he’s famous...Hall of Fame.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Minoso is one of the biggest omissions, in my opinion. 

Jim Kaat should be in too. He’d have an AL Cy if they gave out more than one in 1965. 

Tommy John also would have got to 300 without being on some bad teams- Sox included. Plus the surgery- he’s famous...Hall of Fame.

Nobody mentions that Kaat spent two plus years here and won 20 games twice. We have only had a few since, McDowell, Hoyt, Dotson and Loaiza. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The other thing to remember with Baines is that he missed portions of three seasons to strikes, 1981 and 1994-95.

Plug that playing time back in and he's over 3000 hits and right at 400 homers.

How many more hits and home runs would Baines likely have logged? Using simple "on pace" calculations:

1981: 40 hits, 5 HR
1994: 51 hits, 7 HR
1995: 14 hits, 3 HR

That'd bring Baines to 2,971 hits and 399 home runs. He'd get my vote either way, but his odds would probably be considerably better with those numbers literally scratching at Cooperstown's door.

Great post. What do the naysayers say to this? Caulfield with the slam dunk on behalf of Harold.