Winter Meetings Leaguewide Scuttlebutt

bmags

Rosenthal scuttlebutt:

https://theathletic.com/705014/2018/12/10/rosenthal-angels-more-active-than-anticipated-harper-to-st-louis-unlikely-reds-want-to-move-scooter-more-notes/

• Angels in hunt for starting pitching, failed to get eovaldi or corbin. Thinks they go after Kikuchi, happ, etc
  • Harper to cards looks unlikely, more likely a bp piece
  • Reds likely to move scooter to make room for senzel. Which is a good move instead of moving senzel because he's "blocked"
  • The marlins are asking for moon for Realmuto
  • Indians looking to pair highly paid position players with pitcher to get more payroll
  • Lotta people in on lotsa bullpen.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rosenthal scuttlebutt:

https://theathletic.com/705014/2018/12/10/rosenthal-angels-more-active-than-anticipated-harper-to-st-louis-unlikely-reds-want-to-move-scooter-more-notes/

• Angels in hunt for starting pitching, failed to get eovaldi or corbin. Thinks they go after Kikuchi, happ, etc
  • Harper to cards looks unlikely, more likely a bp piece
  • Reds likely to move scooter to make room for senzel. Which is a good move instead of moving senzel because he's "blocked"
  • The marlins are asking for moon for Realmuto
  • Indians looking to pair highly paid position players with pitcher to get more payroll
  • Lotta people in on lotsa bullpen.

We should get in on Scooter!

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

MLB has to do something about their FA period. When your fans are all clamoring for action in an offseason month, listen to the fans.

So much for that quote at the beginning of the offseason about how executives around the league felt things would move quickly this year. It’s somehow been slower than last year’s snoozefest.

38 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

So much for that quote at the beginning of the offseason about how executives around the league felt things would move quickly this year. It’s somehow been slower than last year’s snoozefest.

Seems to be same theme, once teams identify the total player market and player hasn’t signed, they all hold their ground while player keeps trying to create leverage by waiting for market around to shrink but it doesn’t because every other player has same thing happening.

This is a good bullpen class. The teams are going to make them all squirm until February. There is no urgency and no worries when they know they are competing with only 8 teams adding not 30 in free agency.

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

Seems to be same theme, once teams identify the total player market and player hasn’t signed, they all hold their ground while player keeps trying to create leverage by waiting for market around to shrink but it doesn’t because every other player has same thing happening.

This is a good bullpen class. The teams are going to make them all squirm until February. There is no urgency and no worries when they know they are competing with only 8 teams adding not 30 in free agency.

Not only that but teams are trading for needs . I really don't think it's been that slow. Goldsmith, Corbin, Eovaldi ,Donaldson,Paxton,Cano and everyone involved in that. . Some pretty big names already.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, bmags said:

MLB has to do something about their FA period. When your fans are all clamoring for action in an offseason month, listen to the fans.

I have always thought that for players with a QO, if they signed before the Winter Meetings, waiving the penalty would be a way to kickstart everything. Getting the free agents out of the way is what really kick starts trading, and with cell phones, texts, skype, facetime, the Winter Meetings for trades are really more for show than anything else. They can communicate with each other, and share information just as easily from their own office or home.

It seems every year i get excited about the Winter Meetings and most of the time it's a big dud.

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have always thought that for players with a QO, if they signed before the Winter Meetings, waiving the penalty would be a way to kickstart everything. Getting the free agents out of the way is what really kick starts trading, and with cell phones, texts, skype, facetime, the Winter Meetings for trades are really more for show than anything else. They can communicate with each other, and share information just as easily from their own office or home.

It seems every year i get excited about the Winter Meetings and most of the time it's a big dud.

You have said this last few years, but it is the only concentrated time of activity during the offseason. It clearly spurs some activity, and after its over ...the offseason is over. It's a slow trickle of deals until March.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

You have said this last few years, but it is the only concentrated time of activity during the offseason. It clearly spurs some activity, and after its over ...the offseason is over. It's a slow trickle of deals until March.

There were a few moves beforehand. Most of the free agents will sign well after. It probably spurs some activity since they are all sitting in the same place, but not like it used to when they could only communicate through landlines and had to mail medical records. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There were a few moves beforehand. Most of the free agents will sign well after. It probably spurs some activity since they are all sitting in the same place, but not like it used to when they could only communicate through landlines and had to mail medical records. 

No it's not (the same as it was). But it's better than what happens next. You really can't expect fans attention for that entire offseason to pay attention to the cold war chasing of ...like cody allen.

It just needs to be more consolidated and fun. This was supposed to be one of the bigger classes ever, with tons of teams freeing up cash. And...it's like slightly better than last year.

52 minutes ago, bmags said:

No it's not (the same as it was). But it's better than what happens next. You really can't expect fans attention for that entire offseason to pay attention to the cold war chasing of ...like cody allen.

It just needs to be more consolidated and fun. This was supposed to be one of the bigger classes ever, with tons of teams freeing up cash. And...it's like slightly better than last year.

I gotta admit, tying the signing schedule to the draft pick compensation rules sounds like a really great idea to me. Create a deadline and everyone will shoot to finish by the deadline.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I gotta admit, tying the signing schedule to the draft pick compensation rules sounds like a really great idea to me. Create a deadline and everyone will shoot to finish by the deadline.

What is this? I saw you post something earlier but not sure I understood. Saying that if you sign in first month it's no draft pick attached, second month it kicks in, etc? Or just that it accelerates.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

What is this? I saw you post something earlier but not sure I understood. Saying that if you sign in first month it's no draft pick attached, second month it kicks in, etc? Or just that it accelerates.

Credit to @Dick Allen for this one. Put a deadline on Wednesday night of the winter meetings - if a player signs by then, the signing team loses no picks. Every big name FA would sign by that Wednesday and you'd create a trade deadline style rush of press right in the middle of early December when your league is otherwise downtime.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Credit to @Dick Allen for this one. Put a deadline on Wednesday night of the winter meetings - if a player signs by then, the signing team loses no picks. Every big name FA would sign by that Wednesday and you'd create a trade deadline style rush of press right in the middle of early December when your league is otherwise downtime.

I really like that. No reason league can't just provide supplementary picks for competitive balance (due to fa loss).

My complaints here are merely from an entertainment perspective, and this totally accomplishes that. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Genuinely somewhat surprised that Cleveland hasn't gotten anything done yet. If nothing happens with them today then I'm gonna guess that they go into next season without making any of the big trades they talked about.

So far these meetings have been as boring as last year. Underwhelming to say the least.