White Sox interested in reliever Joe Kelly

Baron

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

He hasn't started in what, 3 years, and wasn't very good when he was a starter.  That would be even more odd I think.

It would be, but trying to think outside the box.  Other than throwing hard, I don’t see anything else that interesting about Kelly.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It would be, but trying to think outside the box.  Other than throwing hard, I don’t see anything else that interesting about Kelly.

There's a dollar value where he'd still make sense for us though, as he'd provide bullpen depth and could still be tradeable at the deadline. He's another guy that it makes sense to offer a contract of something like $2/10 or something that should be a lot less than he really gets, because we'd take him if that's what he signed for.

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

don't think that's how we'd utilize him, but I do wonder with JR historically not paying pitchers if we ever try and implement what the Rays did and what, I think, a lot more MLB teams will do in the future -- the piggyback approach. Seems like a way to limit a SP value -- maybe easier & cheaper to retain pitchers that way.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a dollar value where he'd still make sense for us though, as he'd provide bullpen depth and could still be tradeable at the deadline. He's another guy that it makes sense to offer a contract of something like $2/10 or something that should be a lot less than he really gets, because we'd take him if that's what he signed for.

I think he gets more than that, and he is worth more than that.  If it were 2/20, I think the Sox could play there (provided they land someone else first...) but pairing him with Colome and Jones would be a pretty solid back end.  

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think he gets more than that, and he is worth more than that.  If it were 2/20, I think the Sox could play there (provided they land someone else first...) but pairing him with Colome and Jones would be a pretty solid back end.  

Well sure, but you're going to need the hands of jesus to help keep Jones healthy.

22 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

If he didnt play for the Red Sox I think he'd be lucky to get half that.