Realmuto to the Phillies - Sanchez/Alfaro+ to Marlins

bmags

Maybe this is why Hahn sounded so down in the mouth this morning and was almost preparing Sox fan for disappointment with respect to Machado.  I’m sure he is well aware of this potential 3-way deal, in which NYY might be trading Andjuar, opening up 3B for Machado.  My guess is if this 3-way deal happens, we can kiss Machado goodbye.  NYY will probably not dick around like Hahn & JR and swoop in and sign Manny within a couple of days.  

3 minutes ago, Bubba P5 said:

Maybe this is why Hahn sounded so down in the mouth this morning and was almost preparing Sox fan for disappointment with respect to Machado.  I’m sure he is well aware of this potential 3-way deal, in which NYY might be trading Andjuar, opening up 3B for Machado.  My guess is if this 3-way deal happens, we can kiss Machado goodbye.  NYY will probably not dick around like Hahn & JR and swoop in and sign Manny within a couple of days.  

What three way deal are you referring to?

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

He didn’t realize the posts from early in this thread are over a month old. 

Ah, you are right.  I should have looked at the dates of the posts.  I am quite embarrassed but am glad that was old news.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  I feel much better now.  

3 minutes ago, Bubba P5 said:

What makes you think the Yankees are involved in this 3 way? 

5 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Soo... why are last place the Reds looking to trade future pieces for a catcher with 2 years of control left?

The Reds seem to have a glut of skilled infield prospects that can be moved for upgrades elsewhere. With Senzel at the #5 overall prospect looking to be penciled in at 3B, seems like India is a great trade piece. 

I imagine we'll be doing something similar with our outfield prospects once they're all hitting the show around the same time.

15 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Soo... why are last place the Reds looking to trade future pieces for a catcher with 2 years of control left?

I have no idea what the Reds are trying to speed up their timeline for.  It is borderline negligence with St Louis, Milwaukee, and the Cubs in front of them.

42 minutes ago, Bubba P5 said:

Sorry, I was reading posts that were over a month old.  My mistake as I should have looked at the dates of the posts.  

Yeah I debated starting a new one but this news isn't that "real" it's just some heating up compared to what used to be there.

50 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

The Reds seem to have a glut of skilled infield prospects that can be moved for upgrades elsewhere. With Senzel at the #5 overall prospect looking to be penciled in at 3B, seems like India is a great trade piece. 

I imagine we'll be doing something similar with our outfield prospects once they're all hitting the show around the same time.

Oh, I get moving the prospects. But they're going to be awful the next two years even with Realmuto. It makes no sense for them to trade for him in an uncompetitive year just so they can trade him again a year later and get less than they gave up. That's a Billy Beane type move.

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They're doing basically the same thing the White Sox did in 2015 and 2016.

The Sox didn't lose 97 games in 2014 or 2015, they were in a bad division with only one team to beat, and they didn't give up any top prospects for a short-term fix (Tatis wasn't a top prospect). Also, the Reds don't have any Sale/Quintana on their current roster. The Reds are going to be awful for a few more years, and even if they get a fluke year, have to deal with a division with 4 teams with winning records last year. This looks like a totally different situation.

If the Reds want him, I think they get him.  The Dodgers don't have the farm system to compete with the Reds.  The Astros don't seem to have mindset to trade the guys they would need to trade to outgun the Reds.  

The Reds have some top talent and some positional logjams.  I have to think this gets done.  

** That doesn't mean I understand what the Reds are doing.  Even with Realmuto it is probably a stretch to get them into 3rd place.  They may make is so that only one team makes it from the central, but I have a hard time seeing them top the Brewers, cubs, and Cards.  Though I don't know.  Realmuto, Votto, Gennett, Suarez, Peraza, Kemp, Puig is a pretty soild lineup.  They have a good closer, between Gray, Wood, Castillo... Who knows that may be enough.  You'd have to think that team will score a whole lotta runs.  

7 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

The Sox didn't lose 97 games in 2014 or 2015, they were in a bad division with only one team to beat, and they didn't give up any top prospects for a short-term fix (Tatis wasn't a top prospect). Also, the Reds don't have any Sale/Quintana on their current roster. The Reds are going to be awful for a few more years, and even if they get a fluke year, have to deal with a division with 4 teams with winning records last year. This looks like a totally different situation.

The 2014 White Sox lost 89 games, coming off a 99 loss season in 2013, 3 teams finished 2014 above .500 including the wild card team that went to the world series, Joey Votto was a 6 win player as recently as 2017 and 3.5 last year, Scooter Ginnett was a 4.5 win player in 2018, Eugenio Suarez was a 3.9 win player. So yeah, you're right, the White Sox had 1 fewer team in front of them. A couple strong pieces, a bunch of mediocre pieces, and the same assumptions that they were better than they were on paper. 

• shipps changed the title to Realmuto: Phillies in hot pursuit