Realmuto to the Phillies - Sanchez/Alfaro+ to Marlins

bmags

Wow, a number of comments:

1) What a light return!

The Marlins waited over a year for THIS return!?!? This is insane! How many times have we heard 'Realmuto deal is close' with tons of various teams. The best they  could do with all of this negotiating was Sixto? I like sixto, of course, but that is beyond weak. It's amazing what our Quintana trade netted us.

2) Marlins Front Office sucks.

As already reported in this thread -- WOW those are some ugly trades.

3) Realmuto is an awesome get for Phillies

The phillies are completely transforming. They still might be that one big whale away from really being a favorite, but my goodness -- David Robertson, Juan Nicasio, Andrew McCutchen, Jean Segura, J.T. Realmuto.... 

That's how you make an offseason. Come on White Sox, make it happen with BRYCE AND MACHADO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wow, a number of comments:

1) What a light return!

The Marlins waited over a year for THIS return!?!? This is insane! How many times have we heard 'Realmuto deal is close' with tons of various teams. The best they  could do with all of this negotiating was Sixto? I like sixto, of course, but that is beyond weak. It's amazing what our Quintana trade netted us.

2) Marlins Front Office sucks.

As already reported in this thread -- WOW those are some ugly trades.

3) Realmuto is an awesome get for Phillies

The phillies are completely transforming. They still might be that one big whale away from really being a favorite, but my goodness -- David Robertson, Juan Nicasio, Andrew McCutchen, Jean Segura, J.T. Realmuto.... 

That's how you make an offseason. Come on White Sox, make it happen with BRYCE AND MACHADO. 

Yeah and I bet the Phils make at least 2 more signings. Harper, Kimbrel, Moose, Keuchel, Gio.

8 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Yeah.. There isn't a SINGLE Marlins trade that looks like (or looked like) they did okay.. It has looked like they got raped every single time.  

I like this trade for them. I loved it when it looked like they could get Medina or Bohm or Garcia, but Realmuto only has 2 years left, and while he is a top 2 catcher, we are talking about a 4-win guy, not a 6-7 fWAR star. The different between the #1 catcher and #30 catcher in 2018 was 4 fWAR. The difference between RF was 9.3, CF was 8.7, 3B was 6.8, at SS it was 6.6, in LF it was 6.3, at DH it was 6.1, at 1B it was 4.5, at 2B it was 4.5. For SP, the difference between #1 and #30 was 6.1 fWAR. 

The only position that had less of a difference between the best player and the #30th best player was in the RP category, as you would expect, at 2.3 fWAR.

The moral of this post is that according to the data we have on catchers, which in fairness doesn't including framing, which they haven't quantified yet for fWAR (AFAIK), the difference between the best and the worst is the smallest of any position. There really aren't any superstar catchers right now. Even the BEST catcher in the sport is only the 25th most valuable position player in baseball. 

I like what the Marlins got.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I thought players have to be with an organization at least one year to be traded, at least that's the way it was in the past, I believe.

I don't think that's the case anymore since Mets already traded Kelenic.

16 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I thought players have to be with an organization at least one year to be traded, at least that's the way it was in the past, I believe.

Draftees can be traded after the World Series of their draft year.  They did it to close a loophole where people were trading guys as PTBNL in deals and just sitting on it until the deadline passed.  Now you can't be in any deal at all until after the world series, even as  PTBNL.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You know, whatever happened to Alfaro's brother (don't even know his first name to be honest)? I remember he signed with the Sox 2-3 years ago.

He's 21, he's in kanny. According to futuresox he's an incredible defensive catcher but can't hit for a lick.

• Thanks 1

What kind of stinks for the Phillies, is that in my opinion, they have had a pretty great offseason, but because of the "stupid money" comment, without one of the Whales, it will be viewed as a failure.  Adding Realmuto, Segura, McCutchen and Roberson are all pretty darn good improvements for the Phillies.