Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, bmags said:

For the record, though people will focus on "Dodgers shedding payroll to sign harper!", this is an example of how they can continue to shed payroll of pretty low end veterans.

Still, I will mostly be surprised if the kluber to lad, outfielders to cle swap doesn't happen.

Man, Kluber is 32 years old. That's not horrible, but this seems like a great time to just sell high on a guy because he could be starting the downswing of his career. Good for Cleveland if they extract a lot of talent from LA.

Just now, South Sider said:

Man, Kluber is 32 years old. That's not horrible, but this seems like a great time to just sell high on a guy because he could be starting the downswing of his career. Good for Cleveland if they extract a lot of talent from LA.

His contract is pretty reasonable so he has a lot of value. 

12 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I have a quick argument as to why the Sox should probably bid against themselves if they truly want Harper.

The Dodgers are lurking, they are attempting to shed their excess OFs. One can only imagine that if the Dodgers offer a similar contract to the Sox, he will go to the Dodgers. But first, they have some work to do. 

Maybe the Sox should just ask Boras/Harper... "what contract do you want?", then try to put it together to give them the highest possible chance that he signs now instead of in January. There's not much beating around the bush you can do if a team basically meets your demands. Sadly, I don't even think Boras would be happy with a 400m contract... he'd try to find someone to bid 410. 

The longer it drags on, the more opportunities other teams will find to make a Harper signing work. On the flip side, the Dodgers could also sign Harper now and worry about their other OF later, though it does hurt their position in trade negotiations.

The longer this goes on, the chances of him coming here get worse and worse. I am 100% for them just giving him the largest contract possible that other teams just wont be able to meet.

Edited by Sockin

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

The longer this goes on the chances of him coming here get worse and worse. I am 100% for them just giving him the largest contract possible that other teams just wont be able to meet.

But what’s the rush for Harper to sign this particular contract without giving a few other teams a chance to top it days/weeks/months later 

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

These threads have major mood swings, haha. Somebody in the media says something about the sox and everybody gets happy and excited than somebody in the media mentions harpers name with yanks, LA, cubs etc and everybody gets depressed and says we have not chance...

At Soxtalk we call that the Fathom effect. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

Why not just offer harper 12 years $410 million right now and see if he accepts it. If he don't accept it hes shooting for $450 million.

Harper is not getting 450, and 400 is pretty questionable in my mind as well

• bmags locked this topic