Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

3 minutes ago, daggins said:

Assuming they move Hoskins to 1B, they need two outfielders...

They also could use a C, SP, and RP.  While this doesn't take them out, I'd have to wager it reduces the chances they will spend big on another corner outfielder.  

Not to be that guy so when I say take it FWIW, I mean TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, but my coworker's sister works for the Sox and said that the Sox have told their office people to contact all of the Chicago teams to get jerseys ready for Harper and Machado and they were evidently all asked to take small pay cuts to make these moves...yes, MOVES... easier.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Not to be that guy so when I say take it FWIW, I mean TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, but my coworker's sister works for the Sox and said that the Sox have told their office people to contact all of the Chicago teams to get jerseys ready for Harper and Machado and they were evidently all asked to take small pay cuts to make these moves...yes, MOVES... easier.

POTY

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

LOLWUT

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Remember - the price of 1 WAR on the free agent market is something close to $9 million right now, on average. A $400 million contract is not saying it's a 7-10 WAR player, not these days.

That number is complete bullshit as it relates to cost opportunity and FA. I don't know even why it's used. McCutchen was worth around 3 WAR last year he is not getting paid 27 million.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Reminds me of the day when I heard a similar story that they were shipping in Soriano White Sox jerseys.  Sox ended up only trading for MacDougal that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Lol

Just now, fathom said:

Reminds me of the day when I heard a similar story that they were shipping in Soriano White Sox jerseys.  Sox ended up only trading for MacDougal that day.

Sorta OT but your Cat friend keeps saying the Cubs are the front runners for Harper with the Sox and Dodgers.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

My god we've gotten a lot of posters saying things like this. Not calling you out at all, the opposite in fact. There's just so much smoke....

I'm sorry but that post above yours is fake news.

I feel for anyone dumb enough to fall such stupidity. Take a small paycut to pay for Machado and Harpers salaries I mean I spit out my coffee just reading it

7 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

We are talking about the time right before JD signed his contract...so the four relevant years are 2014-2017...and Abreu's War in that time was 17 while JD's was 15.5.    I'm not saying you are wrong about JD...I just think the general Soxtalk opinion was to let Abreu walk or sell him for some magic beans....when it seems like he is the guy we should take a chance on for the next three years. He is JD.   

If you think JD Martinez is Abreu then you should be comparing their last 2 years since IS is present tense. I also like Abreu so we're not really arguing about much here but he'd be worth a helluva lot more if his last 2 season were like Martinez'. I also made a mistake on JD's OPS in that 4 yrs.  Sorry about that.

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

I'm sorry but that post above yours is fake news.

I feel for anyone dumb enough to fall such stupidity. Take a small paycut to pay for Machado and Harpers salaries I mean I spit out my coffee just reading it

I don't buy the specifics of it. Just a lot of smoke about the Sox being quietly confident from various posters

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Honestly cannot even tell if this is pure sarcasm.

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

That number is complete bullshit as it relates to cost opportunity and FA. I don't know even why it's used. McCutchen was worth around 3 WAR last year he is not getting paid 27 million.

I agree, it's all based off a study on the performance teams have paid for in FA, it's not what their actual valuation of $/WAR is, it's misleading.

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If the White Sox made people who are probably barely making a living wage take a cut to sign Harper and Machado, that would be one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. I am pretty sure if that was true, my days of being a White Sox fan would be OVA. 

• Like 4

Phillies have McCutchen, Odubel, Alther (sp) and Nick Williams in the OF. I'm not too familiar with the last 3 other than Odubel had a great start to last year but finished flat, and the other two were hot on and off. 

Seems to me that they'd be out on Harper with this move and would look to shore up other positions, but I guess if they have tons of money...

• bmags locked this topic