Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand what his "off the field" appeal is. I haven't watched him play much, but why is he the default "marquee" MLB player? Personally, Trout seems more like that player. Could Harper's status quickly change if he continues to have less than stellar years, while other emerging stars overtake him? Vlad Guerrero Jr. and a few other youngsters, look like they could become the new faces of the game. How ironic would it be if Eloy or Moncada became bigger "stars" than Harper? 

• Haha 1

Just now, KrankinSox said:

It's pretty surprising that no reputable sources have reported much of anything on Harper so far. Not even a report of who has offered or who he has met with in Vegas.

To me that says that it definitely will be a drawn out process, well past the Winter Meetings.

Or it means those guys are shut out from info and instead info is getting leaked to "friends of friends" when it probably shouldn't be. 

• Like 1

Just now, KrankinSox said:

It's pretty surprising that no reputable sources have reported much of anything on Harper so far. Not even a report of who has offered or who he has met with in Vegas.

Heyman who is basically a Boras spokesman, said there is maybe a 5% chance he signs this week. So there is nothing close, and maybe not even a formal offer yet.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Heyman who is basically a Boras spokesman, said there is maybe a 5% chance he signs this week. So there is nothing close, and maybe not even a formal offer yet.

I don't see how a formal offer hasn't been made yet. How could you possibly meet with the guy and not extend an offer before the meeting ends?

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

But he is meeting with teams during the meetings. I'm just surprised nothing about those meetings has leaked. All I've seen is they are taking place at Aria.

Offers have definitely made. The reason why there is no leaks is because this is going to be the biggest contract in sports history, and everyone wants to stay as quiet as can be

Took a nap hoping there’d be a flurry of moves made. All I got was Cruz down to two teams. Thought Kluber would’ve been dealt last night. Sounds like this week is all about leg work of a deal and they finish whenever Harper decides on the deal. Just my guess. 

Doesn't sound like either Harper or Machado are signing soon (obviously Machado is making visits the next week or two). One is waiting for the other to sign. 

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Offers have definitely made. The reason why there is no leaks is because this is going to be the biggest contract in sports history, and everyone wants to stay as quiet as can be

This makes the most sense to me. Too much on the line to allow leaks.

11 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I don't see how a formal offer hasn't been made yet. How could you possibly meet with the guy and not extend an offer before the meeting ends?

I'm sure it has, but Boras is going to drag it out to get the highest bidder to get nervous and bid against themselves. It's what he does.

• bmags locked this topic