Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

I'm going to sign off, for the night and conclude by saying; If the Sox sign Harper, or even Harper and Machado, I'll be as excited, as the next Sox fan. Nevertheless, I question whether it's really a good idea. How's that for being conflicted? Sweet dreams fellow Sox fans. Maybe Santa will come early.

Just now, Lillian said:

I'm going to sign off, for the night and conclude by saying; If the Sox sign Harper, or even Harper and Machado, I'll be as excited, as the next Sox fan. Nevertheless, I question whether it's really a good idea. How's that for being conflicted? Sweet dreams fellow Sox fans. Maybe Santa will come early.

Its a good idea. Players like that dont hit fa often.

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the rebuilding trades and draft picks worked, we have only a couple positions where we really need talent. Using our financial resources to get high flying players for those positions is exactly how this strategy should go. It would be the complete opposite of having way too many positions to fill and trying to fill them all with mid-level players from FA and trades - which we tried for the better part of a decade.

27 minutes ago, Lillian said:

This team is going to have a lot of young players, many of whom we have reasonable expectations of becoming stars, in their own right. If in 2020, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Kopech, Cease and 1, or 2 more guys really blossom, they could just as easily fill a few holes with established veterans, on short term reasonable contracts. I'd be willing to wait, as a fan, but that's just me. I understand that many would prefer to just spend money and chase the "glitter" of a couple of marquee players. To each his own. It is an interesting debate.

Interesting take from one of our elder stateswoman here.  I'm not sure I would  want to wait. Each passing year, I'll be 61 shortly, and I say don't let me die while they suck . LOL. I think they still need established really good veteran players .It could take years for many of those kids to blossom. Guys like Lester and Verlander. Jd Martinez they all were key pieces to their teams winning the World Series.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Interesting take from one of our elder stateswoman here.  I'm not sure I would  want to wait. Each passing year, I'll be 61 shortly, and I say don't let me die while they suck . LOL. I think they still need established really good veteran players .It could take years for many of those kids to blossom. Guys like Lester and Verlander. Jd Martinez they all were key pieces to their teams winning the World Series.

I'm going on 73, how do you think I feel.

33 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I caught that as well, something about new tv deal with a possible new network announced before spring training, interesting....new TV money!

Many of us have been touting the new TV deal as a key to the rebuild. It' s been underplayed here as far as I'm concerned. The D'backs signed Greineke after they got their 20yr/$1.5 billion contract.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Also to be clear Boras pulled that shit when talking about Eric freakin Hosmer. Not Trout or some well known MLB superstar basically because locally the KC media overrated him as a glue guy and gamer that means he was worth more nationally as well. Somehow I've missed the Hosmer WS and SB ads since joining the Padres. I'm sure they'll be coming any day now.

Of course. All players will have some local recognition.  This prestige is small but still quantifiable.  Harper is more national so the price will be more. It's all relative.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Many of us have been touting the new TV deal as a key to the rebuild. It' s been underplayed here as far as I'm concerned. The D'backs signed Greineke after they got their 20yr/$1.5 billion contract.

Another thing is all the teams in mlb have been getting share of money the last couple years from different outlets. When Disney purchased Bamtech, each team got 50 million. With the mlb/fox extension, teams are getting like 20 million a year. Then a couple years ago teams got money from mlb with the mlbtv subscription of like 80+ million so the sox probably haven't been spending that money the last couple years so hopefully they banked it to help when they start spending 

Just now, aeichhor said:

Another thing is all the teams in mlb have been getting share of money the last couple years from different outlets. When Disney purchased Bamtech, each team got 50 million. With the mlb/fox extension, teams are getting like 20 million a year. Then a couple years ago teams got money from mlb with the mlbtv subscription of like 80+ million so the sox probably haven't been spending that money the last couple years so hopefully they banked it to help when they start spending 

I also have brought up the Disney money in the past but that was right around the Roberts signing so it probably went there.

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'm not. The White Sox have been awful for so long. I'm tired of it. Now is their chance to take steps to change that. 

For so long? Let's get some perspective. It's only been 13 years since the WS championship.  Prior to that it was 88 years. They made the playoffs  once in the 80s and had a few good years in the 90s. In 2000 they made the playoffs and started a pretty good run.

They have been bad recently but they told you it was coming and most people agreed it was the best way.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

For so long? Let's get some perspective. It's only been 13 years since the WS championship.  Prior to that it was 88 years. They made the playoffs  once in the 80s and had a few good years in the 90s. In 2000 they made the playoffs and started a pretty good run.

They have been bad recently but they told you it was coming and most people agreed it was the best way.

Kid's say the darnedest things. :P

• bmags locked this topic