Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

It's still super early especially when it comes to Boras. If Harper signs this early you can almost guarantee it's a terrible contract and much better then the next highest offer.

Like for example that Corbin deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nationals were 30-40 million more then the next highest offer.

Yes, that is what they would need to do to get it done early. Which is why he won't sign until January. 

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

You see year 6 on that deal?  $35 mil!

In 6 years that will probably be the going rate for a 5th starter. Whatever Harper makes this contract, Trout will blow it away in 2 years,

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

WSD mutiny post just illustrates what tony and I (and others) have said about the fan base melting down in a very bad way if they miss on both guys (especially if Bryce goes to Cubs)

If Bryce goes to the Cubs, just pack this shit & move to Portland because this franchise is dead.  That being said, the Cubs are not a realistic possibility despite what the cat says.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

WSD mutiny post just illustrates what tony and I (and others) have said about the fan base melting down in a very bad way if they miss on both guys (especially if Bryce goes to Cubs)

What does melting down in a bad way even mean ? Maybe you become a Cubs fan ? You're almost there already :P

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What does melting down in a bad way even mean ? Maybe you become a Cubs fan ? You're almost there already :P

Just check what WSD...he has a strong following of Sox fans and if he’s saying he’s gonna do his best to get fans not to show....that’s not exactly a good thing.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

We shouldn't coddle our organization.  These guys need to step up and make it happen. They said they need to earn our trust and loyalty and they are right about that. I will be upset if we lose out because of money as should other Sox fans. If Harper goes to the Cubs, well.... I don't want to think about that. 

12 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

It's still super early especially when it comes to Boras. If Harper signs this early you can almost guarantee it's a terrible contract and much better then the next highest offer.

Like for example that Corbin deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nationals were 30-40 million more then the next highest offer.

7 of 9 biggest Boras free agent deals were signed in December. So no it's not super early. History says Harper will sign soon.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

We shouldn't coddle our organization.  These guys need to step up and make it happen. They said they need to earn our trust and loyalty and they are right about that. I will be upset if we lose out because of money as should other Sox fans. If Harper goes to the Cubs, well.... I don't want to think about that. 

Depends on the contract. There is a point where he isn't worth it. I'm not sure what that is so we'll need to see what it is.

Just now, fathom said:

Just check what WSD...he has a strong following of Sox fans and if he’s saying he’s gonna do his best to get fans not to show....that’s not exactly a good thing.

He's a meathead with a source. Strange way to show support for his supposd favorite team when we all know free agency or the best offer doesn't necessarily guarantee anything.

• Like 2

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

7 of 8 biggest Boras free agent deals were signed in December. So no it's not super early. History says Harper will sign soon.

I think the only way he signs soon is if the 1 or 2 teams he strongly wants to play for making a very strong offer.  It’s hard to believe he will just take the WSox offer without waiting to see what the mega money teams do to open up space.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

He said he'd do that if it was revealed the Sox did not make a serious offer, he didn't say that he'd do that if Harper just signs elsewhere

Just now, ptatc said:

Depends on the contract. There is a point where he isn't worth it. I'm not sure what that is so we'll need to see what it is.

Well if that is the case they better figure something else out. They've essentially admitted this is the year for them to add quality free agents to jumpstart our contention window. If this fails, then what? 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Why is everyone freaking out at the slightest bit of news like little school girls. Do they not understand how FA works? Other teams are allowed to be interested in Harper services too.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's a meathead with a source. Strange way to show support for his supposd favorite team when we all know free agency or the best offer doesn't necessarily guarantee anything.

Not saying you’re wrong, but we live in that meathead twitter universe now and the Sox fan base is fragile enough as it is.  

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Robert Johnson?

Yes that's the legend around Robert Johnson and Supernatural had an episode about it back in 2006. But in Supernatural they've used the crossroads demon many times as part of the story lines in the 14/15 years Supernatural has been on TV.

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Still not sure why anyone takes WSD seriously. He's essentially an attention seeker with a big platform. That's all.

I find him entertaining actually. Their interview with Brian Anderson a few years ago was incredible.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think the only way he signs soon is if the 1 or 2 teams he strongly wants to play for making a very strong offer.  It’s hard to believe he will just take the WSox offer without waiting to see what the mega money teams do to open up space.

You keep saying this, but let’s use the Cubs as example.  What team has the payroll flexibility & willingness to take on Heyward or Darvish?  The Cubs being able to free up enough money to land Harper is the longest of long-shots.  Boras isn’t stupid, he isn’t going to wait for a miracle and risk teams with actual interest moving on to Machado or other things.

• bmags locked this topic