Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You keep saying this, but let’s use the Cubs as example.  What team has the payroll flexibility & willingness to take on Heyward or Darvish?  The Cubs being able to free up enough money to land Harper is the longest of long-shots.  Boras isn’t stupid, he isn’t going to wait for a miracle and risk teams with actual interest moving on to Machado or other things.

I think Zobrist and Chatwood are the guys they try to get rid of (using prospects to move Chatwood).

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well if that is the case they better figure something else out. They've essentially admitted this is the year for them to add quality free agents to jumpstart our contention window. If this fails, then what? 

Proceed with the rebuild without Harper and Machdo ? In their combined years they haven't won a World Series and teams have won World Series without them so maybe we can too ?

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Proceed with the rebuild without Harper and Machdo ? In their combined years they haven't won a World Series and teams have won World Series without them so maybe we can too ?

Then use that money to take on bad contracts to get core players (ie: Bailey and Suarez)

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I mean, isn’t the goal of any media member/personality to seek out attention and work for a big platform? 

Even more so on Twitter since every Joe Blow has the same platform unlike other media  if Twitter can even be called media in the traditional sense of the word like newspapers and TV. Social media is relatively new..

Would people be cool with missing on Harper/Machado if they went hard after Arenado next year, and once Trout hits FA (after 2020?), they're willing to pony up any and all the monies, souls, and firstborns it takes to get him?

ETA- It would give them a better idea of how the rebuild is progressing, because honestly, that's very much an unknown right now. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Obviously, but they clearly want a big star. If they want a big star now in FA, this need will not just go away. And if they feel next year's class is weak, how will they acquire the star?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Then use that money to take on bad contracts to get core players (ie: Bailey and Suarez)

Your negative take on it . If you don't think the Sox can find a Verlander , Lester or JD Martinez type just say so . If you think the rebuild is a failure if they don;t sign Harper and Machado just say so. Stop playing both sides of the fence and have an opinion instead of beating around the bush on everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Would people be cool with missing on Harper/Machado if they went hard after Arenado next year, and once Trout hits FA (after 2020?), they're willing to pony up any and all the monies, souls, and firstborns it takes to get him?

Arenado is so overrated. His numbers away from Coors leave so much to be desired.

Problem is they may never make it to fa, and you could be bidding against much deeper pockets.

This year is the chance, extremely low payroll and some big teams not willing to spend.

• Like 1

The problem is there is no guarantee either guy hits free agency and with Trout you know all the big spenders will be involved.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Your negative take on it . If you don't think the Sox can find a Verlander , Lester or JD Martinez type just say so . If you think the rebuild is a failure if they don;t sign Harper and Machado just say so. Stop playing both sides of the fence and have an opinion instead of beating around the bush on everything.

I’ve been consistent the last two offseasons. Goal is to find a few core guys that will be on the team when they’re trying to contend 2020-2022.  It’s why I wanted Yelich and JDM last offseason.  I would hate to see resources spent on someone like Brantley.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Obviously, but they clearly want a big star. If they want a big star now in FA, this need will not just go away. And if they feel next year's class is weak, how will they acquire the star?

You shouldn't ask question I know you already know the answers to. Next years FA agency is pitching rich. You get another year to see how our AA guys do plus Cease and Dunning. You start filling the gaps with them and maybe use others in trade. It shouldn't be all doom and gloom if we fail on the big guys.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You shouldn't ask question I know you already know the answers to. Next years FA agency is pitching rich. You get another year to see how our AA guys do plus Cease and Dunning. You start filling the gaps with them and maybe use others in trade. It shouldn't be all doom and gloom if we fail on the big guys.

Hahn has even said they’re going to have to acquire a premium 3B the next few years.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve been consistent the last two offseasons. Goal is to find a few core guys that will be on the team when they’re trying to contend 2020-2022.  It’s why I wanted Yelich and JDM last offseason.  I would hate to see resources spent on someone like Brantley.

So what I got from all that was you didn't say you feel the Sox can with without Harper or Machado. Which is the stance I asked you to make. You straddled the fence once again.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So what I got from all that was you didn't say you feel the Sox can with without Harper or Machado. Which is the stance I asked you to make. You straddled the fence once again.

Yes they can absolutely win without them. Sorry, didn’t see that specific question.  I don’t think their prospects are good enough to compete down the road without some upper-tier players brought in to compliment them.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes they can absolutely win without them. Sorry, didn’t see that specific question.  I don’t think their prospects are good enough to compete down the road without some upper-tier players brought in to compliment them.

This draft is huge, the Sox need a star.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I didn't want Cain but he put up a 6.9 WAR last season. Signed for 5/80 which means according to some he was already pretty much worth his contract (ahem). If our FO is actually good at their jobs there is no reason why should need to sign Harper or Machado to win.

Edited by wrathofhahn

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hahn has even said they’re going to have to acquire a premium 3B the next few years.

I really don't have much of a beef with you. You and I were the only ones here wanting JD Martinez. I was at the forefront in the  this year is the big year strategy (as soon as I got over my initial fears that they would be more likely to go to a contender.) I had epic arguments with SS2k and Balta on the subject. I LOVE the fact we can get Harper or Machado , absolutely LOVE it. But I don't think all is lost or we need to grab our pitchforks if we don't get them.

• bmags locked this topic