Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is not accurate as there was a small contingency of posters here (myself included) that wanted to add him.

Ha ok so I can't remember everyone of you but since Fathom repeats himself often I remember him, . Mea culpa.. Your screen name like mine is pretty generic. If I had to do it all over again I'd change it to something short and simple like Fathom !

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know it’s still early, but I do find it interesting the Sox haven’t been linked to any infielders besides Manny yet.  Hahn has kind of given it away that they will have a new infielder next season (Yoan position question)

There is such a glut of available 2b no need to press it if the decision is made to move Yoan.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ha ok so I can't remember everyone of you but since Fathom repeats himself often I remember him, . Mea culpa.. Your screen name like mine is pretty generic. If I had to do it all over again I'd change it to something short and simple like Fathom !

Lol...no worries.  I’ve had my fair share of misses, so just want to make sure I get credit when I finally have a hit!

13 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Slow day on the Harper news front 

News wise, yes. But I think Philly has been pretty much eliminated from contention, and I think that’s pretty big. Especially because it seems like the Yankees are out, too. And those are probably the two teams most people would’ve predicted Harper would go to.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know it’s still early, but I do find it interesting the Sox haven’t been linked to any infielders besides Manny yet.  Hahn has kind of given it away that they will have a new infielder next season (Yoan position question)

I thought that was more hinting at the fact that Madrigal will eventually take over the position (not in 2019, but as soon as 2020 if all goes well for him).

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Have you seen the other names of FA infielders ? Pretty boring list.

15 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

News wise, yes. But I think Philly has been pretty much eliminated from contention, and I think that’s pretty big. Especially because it seems like the Yankees are out, too. And those are probably the two teams most people would’ve predicted Harper would go to.

Multiple insiders have said that Philly is definitely still in the Harper/Machado bidding.  Like the Sox they have a ton of payroll room to add either of these guys.  Also watch the Dodgers lurking.  Been seeing that they are aggressively trying to trade Puig and Kemp.  

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eloy ?

That’s one but the teams that make the playoffs consistently have multiple. Just look at the Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox and  Yankees for example. Yeah, they can sign one through free agency but that’s an awfully expensive way to do it.

Outside of Chris Sale, who’s the last star the Sox drafted in the first round? Frank Thomas?

Ideally, this is the last time that the Sox are drafting this high in the near future, they need to hit big with this pick. 

3 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

That’s one but the teams that make the playoffs consistently have multiple. Just look at the Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox and  Yankees for example. Yeah, they can sign one through free agency but that’s an awfully expensive way to do it.

Outside of Chris Sale, who’s the last star the Sox drafted in the first round? Frank Thomas?

Ideally, this is the last time that the Sox are drafting this high in the near future, they need to hit big with this pick. 

Preaching to the choir my man. Our 1st rounders have looked poor unlike the Stro's who got so much from their drafts even while making mistakes.

My complete guess is that the White Sox have made a very competitive offer to Bryce, but Bryce is doing his due diligence around with teams like LAD and PHI. Based on the rumors, it seems like LAD is trying hard to unload OF's and that to me signals that they might be trying to get in on Harper. 

I'm hoping that they don't unload any OFs and at some point Harper is 'forced' to sign with the W'sox as they become the only competitive offer. 

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

In baseball, even the stars typically take at least 2-3 years in the minors. So that star won't be in Chicago until 2022

That’s true but let’s say that the sox hit on his pick, then he’ll be joining a team with Moncada, Robert and Eloy all with ample big leauge experience. 

He’ll be extending the Sox’s window as well. 

Here’s an interesting quote from a James Fegan article tonight:

Obviously the main targets that will define this offseason are still Harper and Manny Machado, the former of which would quickly eliminate Hahn’s previously stated need for outfield depth. Rival league executives at the winter meetings believe the Sox’s intentions to spend as much as necessary to win the bidding are legitimate, but the biggest deal in franchise history by a mile is still hard to envision until it happens.

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s an interesting quote from a James Fegan article tonight:

Very true. It's very hard to envision. Even in that poll a few weeks ago I picked the lowest chance  even though I want it to happen in the worst way.And it's not even the lack of faith I have in Hahn or Reinsdorf. We historically have had cheap or broke owners . When the Yankees were good we were 2nd or 3rd. There's the Black Sox scandal. There's the 94 team that had a shot at a World Series that our own owner sabotaged by being a leader in the cause to keep salaries down that led to the strike.

Even the year we won the World Series with a great season and great playoff run  it's often a World Series forgotten and that team had really no HOF type guys . Before that 88 years without a World Series win and 46 years between even appearing in one.

If you know your White Sox history we have been conditioned to expect the worst and it's incredibly difficult to expect the best. Even if we do sign Machado over Harper it'll feel like we got the wrong guy. It would be so White Sox to get the guy who is possibly the better fit but with a negative reputation like Albert Belle all over again .

On a year to year basis I stay optimistic but overall when I think of my favorite team it's a dismal history.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Very true. It's very hard to envision. Even in that poll a few weeks ago I picked the lowest chance  even though I want it to happen in the worst way.And it's not even the lack of faith I have in Hahn or Reinsdorf. We historically have had cheap or broke owners . When the Yankees were good we were 2nd or 3rd. There's the Black Sox scandal. There's the 94 team that had a shot at a World Series that our own owner sabotaged by being a leader in the cause to keep salaries down that led to the strike.

Even the year we won the World Series with a great season and great playoff run  it's often a World Series forgotten and that team had really no HOF type guys . Before that 88 years without a World Series win and 46 years between even appearing in one.

If you know your White Sox history we have been conditioned to expect the worst and it's incredibly difficult to expect the best. Even if we do sign Machado over Harper it'll feel like we got the wrong guy. It would be so White Sox to get the guy who is possibly the better fit but with a negative reputation like Albert Belle all over again .

On a year to year basis I stay optimistic but overall when I think of my favorite team it's a dismal history.

Nice keystroke combination here Cali.  Sums it up perfectly. 

Cubs Harper, Sox Machado would be impossible to read about in Chicago sports media.  That can’t happen

34 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Nightengale 

The Chicago #WhiteSox have meetings with Bryce Harper and Manny Machado but don’t view themselves as the favorites

One thing’s for sure, KW didn’t offer that quote.

If Ivan Nova is the biggest acquisition of this offseason (reminiscent of Derek Holland, maybe even less excitement), Brooks Boyer better dust off his best sports marketing books.

The JR legacy in Chicago could easily be lucking into Michael Jordan and two imperiled rebuilds...and one flukey WS title in terms of its place in history.  

Hahn’s popularity will be somewhere between May and Macron’s numbers.

Edited by caulfield12

The only way Hahn is getting off the hook now is if it somehow comes out the White Sox has the biggest offer on the table for Harper and/or Machado and he/they passed.  Anything else is going to be a punch to the gut, as it would call into further doubt their commitment to add a franchise-altering star going into the 2019-20 offseason.

God help us if it’s the Cubs for Harper, somehow.  (Note:  no Cubs’ fans are fretting about potentially losing him to the Sox.)

Edited by caulfield12

• bmags locked this topic